Chris-Ottawa

How Many people ski/snowboard in the off season?

Hey Everyone,

I just got to thinking and reading a few profiles from one of my other posts and I noticed alot of people SKi/Snowboard.

I was curious how many people ski/snowboard in the off season. Now this may be a stupid question as I'm in Canada and we DEFINATELY have an off season where someone in Deland might not have such an oppurtunity.

I actually started snowboarding 2 winters ago, first day out I snapped my wrist. 5 weeks later I was ready to go. That was on rental gear. This past winter I bought all my gear and absolutely love it.

SO I wonder how many people use the off season for winter activities, and if you do something other than ski/snowboard, please indulge.

Chris
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Now this may be a stupid question as I'm in Canada and we DEFINATELY have an off season, where someone in Deland might not have such an oppurtunity.

See above notes, haha

It gets a bit chilly when it's -40 celsius, then ya throw a 120MPH windchill into that. I'm pretty good at math, and well, you'd freeze your nuts off. Plain and simple. We do ocassionally do jump in the winter up here, but very randomly and only on days where it warms up closer to 0 (+/- 10 degrees Celsius)

Before I started jumping, I was skiing nearly every weekend while the slopes in Nor Cal were open. Then I would try to do both as much as possible. This past season I was jumping more than I was skiing, but if the weather looked bad for jumping, I tried to make it to the slopes.

I also made it to Chile to ski in August once.

I usually ski over a hundred days a year and this year I am on pace for a hundred skydives. I live in utah where the seasons are well defined. in the winter if there has not been any fresh snow in a while I usually just go skydiving instead.
Utah is not as bad as some may think.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do without being able to skydive for 5 months. Maybe I can jump from the plane, with my snowboard on, hopefully not kill myself, then parasail/snowboard down the hill. Haha. I'll just have to go boarding often to keep my mind off skydiving.

I also find it funny that someone mentioned rock climbing. I also got into that last winter and I've seen a few posts about turning a silo into a climbing gym. I guess skydivers share the same interests in general. I just think that's pretty cool.

Chris

Hey Chris-Ottawa,

I do downhill skiing in the winter. Also, we even do some winter jumping at Mile High Parachuting (Arnprior) at times. I was there for a few jumps. Had my first ice-slide landing, too!

Once you have enough jumps (I think a D license), there's paraskiing held annually in Quebec as well.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do without being able to skydive for 5 months. Maybe I can jump from the plane, with my snowboard on, hopefully not kill myself, then parasail/snowboard down the hill. Haha. I'll just have to go boarding often to keep my mind off skydiving.

I also find it funny that someone mentioned rock climbing. I also got into that last winter and I've seen a few posts about turning a silo into a climbing gym. I guess skydivers share the same interests in general. I just think that's pretty cool.

Chris

I have 11 snowboards in my closet collecting dust until I get my ass back up north. Sold my snowmobiles when I moved down here. With the hunting season I stay busy when the weather is not good to skydive.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I started snowboarding a few years before I started skydiving. They're very different sorts of fun for me, with snowboarding usually feeling pretty solitary (even when riding with others) and skydiving usually feeling more social.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Me. Love it ... I'm still not that great, but I have fun at it.:)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Cross-country skiing in the off-season (but none last Winter because of work and travel issues).

I prefer it because it's simple, dirt cheap, and no waiting in lines anywhere for anything - just get on the trail and go. One also need not be very physically fit or particulary coordinated. Just get up there and shuffle. One can also proceed at one's own pace; either a leisurely one, or an agressive one, depending upon how much of a workout is desired.

It's also very solitary, especially at night.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I just started skiing this past january. I can NOT WAIT for the winter to come!! Of course, I still skydive in the winter too. Just a tad bit chillier outside!

CReW SKies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM