Amazon

F-14 makes its last Carrier Landing.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14083611/

“We’re kind of retreating from an era of best you can build and moving to an era of best you can afford,” said Richard Aboulafia, an analyst with the Teal Group aerospace and defense consultancy.

“There’s no better sign of that than the retirement of the F-14.”

I guess the "Highway to the Danger Zone" is going to be a bit slower from now on.

So sad to see it go. I was always curious about how much longer they were going to be in service. I thought that it would continue its mission a bit longer, until the JSF was "in-service".
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Yep, they are flying FA-18's out of the Marine Corps Air Station in Beaufort SC, this is just North of Hilton Head Island and Savannah Georgia. They have both Navy and Marine pilots there. One of the final approaches is right over the highway. It's scary as hell when one swoops your car.

The sound of American freedom kicks ass.
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

The thing that concerns me though, while the F/A-18 is capable of carrying the AMRAAM, it doesn't have the capability to use the AIM-54, effectively removing our ability to conduct long-range engagements. Yes, the range on the AMRAAM is nice, but the Phoenix is superior, especially in light of the AN/AWG-9 & AN/APG-71 fire control systems that allow multiple simultaneous target lock and engagements.
cavete terrae.

The thing that concerns me though, while the F/A-18 is capable of carrying the AMRAAM, it doesn't have the capability to use the AIM-54, effectively removing our ability to conduct long-range engagements. Yes, the range on the AMRAAM is nice, but the Phoenix is superior, especially in light of the AN/AWG-9 & AN/APG-71 fire control systems that allow multiple simultaneous target lock and engagements.

You are officially an American.

You are officially an American.

:D:D Technically, but I try not to admit it.

When I was a kid, I was 100% set on going to Annapolis and becoming a fighter pilot. Then when I was ~14, I got glasses and knew it was out of the question. But, I still remember most of the stuff I studied back then ;)
cavete terrae.

“We’re kind of retreating from an era of best you can build and moving to an era of best you can afford,” said Richard Aboulafia, an analyst with the Teal Group aerospace and defense consultancy.

“There’s no better sign of that than the retirement of the F-14.”

The person who quoted this never worked on these aircraft. I've only met two types of 14 mechanics. . .those who hated them and those who had a love affair with them. But they all have said that those planes needed to go years ago.[:/][:/] Personally, they were my all time favorite aircraft, but in reality were an equivalent of a Mack truck outfitted to outperform a corvette. Their only specialty after the 18's came out was the fact that they carried the now obsolete Phoenix missiles.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

When I was a kid, I was 100% set on going to Annapolis and becoming a fighter pilot. Then when I was ~14, I got glasses and knew it was out of the question. But, I still remember most of the stuff I studied back then ;)

Grue, they changed (many years ago) the vision requirements for U.S. military aviators. I trained many pilots in the Air Force that showed up for pilot trng wearing not only glasses but contacts..... Check with your local recruiter again (if you fall in the age crack)..........

Grue, they changed (many years ago) the vision requirements for U.S. military aviators. I trained many pilots in the Air Force that showed up for pilot trng wearing not only glasses but contacts..... Check with your local recruiter again (if you fall in the age crack)..........

Yeah, I found out about that later. I'm probably still young enough, but at this point I'd be a little late in the game, not to mention I lost my motivation to study hard sciences and mathematics at uni because of that. But hell, wouldn't hurt to look into I suppose.
cavete terrae.

Whats a war reserve?

Basically, the planes will be kept in the desert, with certain components removed, allowing them to be placed back in service, if needed, with minimal effort. The USAF keeps a lot of bombers in this condition too (mostly B-52s that aren't under obligation of START I/II).
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

It's sad to see them go. SDLI is located on the old Grumman Air Force Base where they used to assembly the F-14's. A few months ago two F-14's made a pass over the base and monument (an intruder and F-14 sit in this little area where you can go and walk around them) as a symbolic flight. The only good part is that we now get to use the 10,000 FT runway (and the 7,000 FT one too for those bad spot situations) for our skydiving needs B|.

We now have the AIM 152