RkyMtnHigh

Teach me to play the drums

Howse about an online lesson:

If you know how to read music. . .go to a music store and buy one of those laminated charts that have at least 26 basic Rudiments. Learn them all because they will help you greatly. Never stop practicing

Borrow a basic bass, snare, high-hat, and ride cymbal and just work on a simple 4/4 beat (80's rock beat). start with a 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4, count with the high hat and hit the bass petal on "1" and the snare on "3" (sounds like a familiar ZZTop song).
After you get the seperation from your hands and feet, leave the 4/4 beat behind and never look back. Unless you want to only play Scorpions and Whitesnake music (just remember that sooner or later, academics stop reading Go-Dog-Go:P)

Play along with music on your headphones. It will teach you quickly to keep in time.

Practice rudiments between times you are not with a drum kit.

And most importantly, dont throw the snare all the way across the room. . .it might break.

Good luck:)

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Go with what nanook said.

After you get the coordination down it'll start to get a lot more fun. I'm a pretty shitty drummer but like to have fun with it; even impress my friends now and then.

A great album to rock out to is No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom. I learned how to use my arms and legs independently by sitting on a stool w/ a rubber drum pad and a pair of sticks. Everything else was imaginary (hi-hat, toms, bass, cymbals) By the time I got my first kit I wasn't half bad and played the shit out of 'em.

Have fun with it! I'm sure you will, you seem like the type of person who has fun with anything you do:)
Chris

--"Someday you will die and somehow somethings going to steal your carbon" -MM

Play along with music on your headphones. It will teach you quickly to keep in time.

Then if you want to wet your pants, get copies of DCI competitions and try to keep up with the Quint players.:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

In one of my past bands (we called ourselves "The Chameleons") we would completely switch instruments a few times. I'd move from lead guitar to keyboards, our keyboard would move to drums, our drummer to bass, bass to guitar.

Well, I was the only one who couldn't play drums. So they tried to teach me. It didn't work.

Drums are a damned hard instrument to play.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

we called ourselves "The Chameleons"

You weren't a funk jazz band, were you? Perhaps fond of the HeadHunters album?

I don't get the obscure reference. That was our bit - we not only switched instruments, we switched styles. Our songs were all pretty simple, and a standard set would be, "Pop Song," "Metal Song," "Country Song," "Disco Song," "Rap Song," "Thrash Song," "Blues Song," etc. We figured everyone would hear something they liked. It didn't work well, though. Everyone who saw it spent more time thinking, "What the Fuck?" instead of, "These guys are good."

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Headhunters was the Herbie Hancock album from (I think) 1973 that had extensive use of the Mini-Moog, which was a first. The lead long on the album is a well known (in jazz circles) song called Chameleon. Which is an incredible song. Of course, the version of Watermelon Man on this album is the best one ever recorded.

If you've never heard it, you should look up the album, I think you can find the CD for well under $10 just about anywhere. Well worth the little bit of money.

I want to learn how to play too. My dad started teaching me when I was in junior high, got pretty good at a drum roll, but haven't done it in forever. He played, and for me, it would be a way to keep his memory alive, but also I think it's kickass to see a girl drummer. ;)

Drums are great and lots of fun!

If you are serious, find an instructor who went to school for drums.....Maybe someone who went to the Drum Institute in LA. Drum theory and what time really is in music and how to properly count is very important. Drums are cool!:)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

it's almost scary how many similar interests we have - drums are the one instrument i have always wanted to play - i got some basic lessons from some friends of mine - working in music definitely has its perks - i'll see if any of my buddies are close enough to where you are - theyre all good people... they'll help you out :)
and yes drumming chicks are totally hot
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

Next time you are in this area, drop by! I have 5 piece and a 7 piece acoustic sets and an electronic set that I use for practice (I can run my Ipod through it!).B| I'll teach you!;)

"You made my panties wet!" Skymama (Fitz 09)
"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Then if you want to wet your pants, get copies of DCI competitions and try to keep up with the Quint players.:D

I saw a DCI show back in high school. Amazing. B|
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

dude i saw cavs, blue devils, cadets, blue knights, and bluecoats compete in massillon on monday

You suck! They don't come through TX very often at all. Of course I've played trumpet for about 15 years now and I love the HOT playing trumpet sections with the HUGE trombone and tuba sections. Its such a large sound for those powerful sounding groups.

I had a number of friends in DCI in HS... I went to several shows... of course I was a band geek...

oh, yeah... I played the drums... (hey Katee I'd be happy to teach you some stuff... :ph34r:) although I am rusty... :$:D
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

dude i saw cavs, blue devils, cadets, blue knights, and bluecoats compete in massillon on monday. it was sick

What! No Phantom Regiment?!?!

All but 2 of our high school drum line were in Phantom - our cadence was the "Haskel Hassle" (as in Haskel Harr lesson book) and took nearly 3 months to teach any newbies because it was nearly impossible to read from sheet, but way cool sticking!

I've played since I was 6 - still miss it at times...I think I still have all my books in storage!:D
Z-Flock 8
Discotec Rodriguez

Too bad weapons grade stupidity doesn't lead to sterility.

Borrow a basic bass, snare, high-hat, and ride cymbal and just work on a simple 4/4 beat (80's rock beat). start with a 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4, count with the high hat and hit the bass petal on "1" and the snare on "3" (sounds like a familiar ZZTop song).
After you get the seperation from your hands and feet, leave the 4/4 beat behind and never look back. Unless you want to only play Scorpions and Whitesnake music (just remember that sooner or later, academics stop reading Go-Dog-Go)

Good friend plays the drums, big electronic Roland set. He tried to teach me...plain and simple, I am overly caucasian, hopeless, can't get past keeping time. I even have a hard time playing my guitar and singing at the same time. If the music is in anyway syncopated I'm done. Yep, overly caucasian...:P

White boy dancin'...:D:D:S:S:$:$

Good friend plays the drums, big electronic Roland set. He tried to teach me...plain and simple, I am overly caucasian, hopeless, can't get past keeping time. I even have a hard time playing my guitar and singing at the same time. If the music is in anyway syncopated I'm done. Yep, overly caucasian...

White boy dancin'...

don't worry about the caucasian thingie. I'm hispanic. My family listened so much to that old style dance music that when it came time for me to learn music, I had to syncopate the syncopation to understand what the hell was going on.:D:D. But it came to a positive. I used a lot of percussion in my playing and got it to where it sounds like I am playing two separate pieces (drums and percussion) at the same time, which is why stufff like paradiddle-diddles and other rudiments can help to make your playing more 3 dimensional.

Singing and playing anything at the same time is a very hard feat to achieve. I envy Phil Collins.

- - - - - -Phantom Regiment Rules!!!--------

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln