daremrc

so my new-to-me rig smells like a wet dog...

I bought some used gear from another jumper at my DZ. It's my first rig as a new jumper (and I owe beer...)

The container is in very good condition for its age, and it fits my body well. Fit was a problem for me, and the reason I scooped it up when I found it. Anyhow, we opened the main up in the rigger loft yesterday and the thing smells a bit musty. The lines feel slightly damp to the touch as I run my fingers along them when I pack it. I didn't see any mildew or mold spots on the chute itself, but the smell is pretty strong even when the container is closed. If you've ever accidentally left your clothes in the washer for a day or two, you know the smell I'm talking about.

Anyhow I obvously need to give the thing a good airing, but the smell is strong enough that I'm thinking it might take a bit more to 'cure' it. What, if anything, is appropriate to clean & de-stink-ify it with? Is there anything else I should be concerned about or examine seeing as the rig has likely been stored for a while in its damp condition? I dont think it's been jumped in 3-4 years. The main is 12 years old, besides the smell the fabric and lines appear to be satisfactory to me & my rigger, and I only plan on it getting me thru this season. This thing is not going to make me very popular on the ride to altitude unless I do something...

I searched for stinky, smelly, and smell on here before I posted and came up with nothing gear-related :)
Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.

I'd take it back to your local rigger immedieatly and talk to them about better inspecting the reserve (to make sure there's no "mold / mildew" damage) and also have the rig disassembled to have the container washed.

the reserve was just repacked and was dry. just looks like someone put a damp canopy back in the main tray...
Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.

I'd urge you to take this to a rigger for washing, close examination, etc.
Washing a rig isn't a huge deal, finally did mine recently thanks to several folks here providing a guiding hand. But it's not something I'd recommend doing on your own when there could also be something wrong with the canopy fabric, lines, or other.
If you've already had a rigger check the entire rig for airworthiness, then by all means, wash it. Do you know how to reattach your reserve, main, uninstall/reinstall AAD? I'd assume not, and AFAIK, it's best done by a rigger.
If you wash, you're in for a repack anyway, so why not add 35.00 to the cost of the repack; that's cheap peace of mine, IMO.

I'd urge you to take this to a rigger for washing, close examination, etc.
Washing a rig isn't a huge deal, finally did mine recently thanks to several folks here providing a guiding hand. But it's not something I'd recommend doing on your own when there could also be something wrong with the canopy fabric, lines, or other.
If you've already had a rigger check the entire rig for airworthiness, then by all means, wash it. Do you know how to reattach your reserve, main, uninstall/reinstall AAD? I'd assume not, and AFAIK, it's best done by a rigger.
If you wash, you're in for a repack anyway, so why not add 35.00 to the cost of the repack; that's cheap peace of mine, IMO.

Yeah, you're right I dont know how to do any of that except the main. Problem being, the airing, inspection, and repack was just done yesterday [:/] . I had two riggers on hand, one hanging up the main while the other packed the reserve. each one told me that the piece of gear they were looking at gear was older, but airworthy... In fact the reserve has never been deployed.

I didn't realize how bad the smell was until I got it home and opened the gear bag back up, tried it on, and was told by my g/f that she could smell the main inside the container.

I guess I was thinking about hand-washing the main tray part of the container where I'm assuming the smell is mainly coming from, but you're actually talking about taking everything out of it and washing the complete rig which would definately mean a repack. In light of it just being inspected and repacked, would you still have it done again just due to the smell?

I'm not the one that has to live with the smell....so can't make a suggestion.
I'll say this, however; DO NOT attempt to wash the rig with the reserve packed in it, tray or not. Is it the container that is stinky? Or the main? Both?
Are you sure a cat didn't climb into the main tray and do his bizness? (rig at the DZ had that happen, it smelled like hell)
Depends on your budget and point of view. If the smell is as bad as you say, then 40.00 for a repack and 35-40.00 for a washing sounds like a good deal to me, but it's not my money I'm suggesting you spend. Or, save the 75.00-80.00 and hope for a reserve ride real soon. Or, wait 4 months and live with the smell til your next repack.
Lotsa options...

thanks for the input

it doesn't smell like cat business, just musty. So far as I can tell, it's mainly the main, the main bag, and a bit of the main container.

well see what it smells like after the main has been hung in an airconditioned space...

Send it to the original manafacturer and have it cleaned and washed, approx: $40.00 USD. Have your main & reserve inspected as well. It would seem to me the rig had been used for swooping the pond and whomever was piloting it "chowed" more than once.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

If your rigger inspected it - both the main and reserve - and you are comfortable with the safety - I would say... Go jump. 120 MPH winds have a tendency to air out canopies.:P

I would resist the urge to wash the main to get the smell out - but canopies do get wet/washed in ponds, chops, and spills all the time... You could wash your main... Disconnect it from the rig at the three-rings, and call the manufacture/favorite rigger for advice on the soap to use, the length of soak, how to hang to dry.

LIKELY - your DBag has kept the container rather "clean" even if there is mold... Take out the main overnight - put it in a different room, and see what smells and what doesn't...???B|

If, your rigger didn't see any outward signs of mildew or mold, find a place where you can suspend the canopy and set-up a fan to blow on the parachute and container. As suggested, jump it a couple times! From your profile, you live in a humid area and mold and mildew can be a problem. Next re-pack, have your rigger give your container a good bath. In the mean-time, as long as your rigger(s) said it was airworthy... jump it. That will help a bunch. Ivory flakes, Cheer (NO bleach) or Woolite works great for washing your container. I really wouldn't recommend washing your parachute. Spot clean only. Hope, that helps.

Chuck

so 30 jumps later the smell is faint, but tolerable. after i open the gearbag I can smell it a bit, but once out in the open you can't distinguish it from other foul smells in the jump plane B|

thanks all for the advice & PM's