froggie

for the old timers....

i just came across a thread from Monk that mentioned his disapointment in the change of things around here and how he missed the 'good ole times'.
well, heres a thread to remember those times...
Remember when...
FFF was the original FFF and his sex life dominated the threads?
Remember when...
we didnt have all these fancy options for the threads?
Remember when...
The pub was just a far fetched idea for the 'new, feels like its never gonna get here' dz.com?
Remember when...
The nakie pics of the dz.com chicks were posted?
Remember when...
Wingi made daily appearances on these threads? (me too )
Remember when...
It was the same 10 or 15 people posting?
Remember when...
Pammi was graduating to more and more freefall time?
Remember when...
Private issues could be discussed and you didnt get flamed for it? we all shared a lot
more personal info way back when.
Remember when...
Sangiro did his motorcycle trip and posted all those cool pics?
Remember when...
The battle of the sexs ran strong and ended with the girls winning?
Remember when...
The polar bear wasnt finished yet and we all waited intently for the finished pics of it?
Remember when...
Wingi posted a pic of himself nakie?
what do you want to remember ol'e timers?
Sis, youll always be sis, and somewhere deep down ill always be froggie.. just doesnt feel like it anymore...
kel

Ah, yes, the good old days..... sigh
Now we have better technology on the forums, but that just goes to show you that it isn't all about how sophisticated the forums are. Don't get me wrong, I like the new features.
Things were way more personal back then. Now the only time we hear from Carrie in months is when she's trying to sell her canopy (and getting flamed for mentioning it here).
I don't think we're doomed, though. I think things will gravitate back to normal when HH returns.
The Dutchboy
http://www.geocities.com/ppolstra

Morning, all.
Serious question. Please no flaming. Observation only. Opinion only.
Over the last several days, I have noticed several "old timers" posting things which could be (mis)read as not wanting newbies here. Not wanting the new folk such as myself and others to not post, not ask questions, not have or voice opinions, not say anything which may rock the boat. There is a seperation starting, a rift, between the new kids and the oldsters. Is this a good thing? And why is it happening?
Please tell me if I am wrong. I have been wrong before, will be again. I am not posting this to start a fight, but more to understand whatever undercurrent is going on.
I would appreciate your response, but again, I am trying to be serious, and not instigate anything. So if you want to flame me, please refrain. I don't own nomex, and I am asking this in all sincerity.
ciel bleu-
Michele
"What of the dreams that never die? Turn to your left at the end of the sky".
~e e cummings~

Of course we want newbies around, to keep things fresh, and ask questions, etc. We were all newbies once! What is difficult for us is that with the MAJOR influx of new posters, the texture and content of the forums has changed a lot. You, Michele are just fine to have around. You have valuable things to say, and you don't mind when people like me post non-valuable things about sex drugs and oh, yeah, skydiving!!
I don't think we are saying we don't want new people, just that we feel like they are taking over and we miss the company we used to keep. We used to say ALL KINDS of crazy shit on here that would get us blown out of the water if we tried it today! That is what we miss...but as I have said before, things change...we'll handle it. We just don't want them to change for the worse! Nobody got in fights on here.
Kinda funny that three of the people who fought recently were old timers...that just goes to show...something...uh...right! Well, enough here! hehe
Sis
I don't want the meaning of life, I want the experience of being alive!

Here Here!! I will be the first to admit I am a very newbie to the sport an to DZ.com. I also have to admit there is nothing that can be said on here in the threads or the posts that will ever get me to the point of flaming :)
Any single women skydivers in Houston?? hehehe if so send me a message! seriously! wait that sounds pretty pathetic but hey if it works ;)!!
Blue Skies!http://www.geocities.com/scollins77057/index.html

I think there are a few people who are trying to use this site in inappropriate ways. I don't think anybody has anything against the newbies. We were all newbies once. I think that it is also normal for people to look back fondly on the "old times".
Back when there were just a few of us who practically lived on this site there was a much greater sense of closeness. People shared personal information that they wouldn't share now with a much larger group.
Because of this the "old timers" know alot about each other. Many of us have actually met in person. Some of us jump together regularly. However, that doesn't mean that we don't want to meet new friends!
Don't think that any of the statements regarding the misbehaving newbies are directed at you, they are not. Come and play with us "old timers". Come and be our friend. Soon you also will be an old timer. Don't forget what it is like to be a newbie either, and try to make the newbies who come after you feel welcome.
The Dutchboy
http://www.geocities.com/ppolstra

Any single women skydivers in Houston??

Heh. Is the Pope Catholic?
Don't get me wrong, I'm happily married, but the hottie ratio at S-land is pretty darn high and from the look of the new students getting higher every day. :D
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

I'm also wondering if the fact that a LOT of the Old newbies tended to lurk for quite a bit before posting made a difference. It seemed like when you first got here, you would hang out andjust watch what was going on and finding out wwho was who, kinda like when we first started skydiving. But then again, I feel like a newbie again since it's been so long since I've posted.....
Eh.... what do I know :)

i'm with sis and dutch on this one..... it's not that we don't like the "newbies" it's just the large influx o people all at once. things will stabilize and wee will all be one with the forum again........ when you 700 years old be you not look as good as me ehh......................... may the force be with you all.......it's okay if ya turn to the dark side here................

"if dreams are like movies, then memories are like films about ghosts"-counting crows

Over the last several days, I have noticed several "old timers" posting things which could be (mis)read as not wanting newbies here. Not wanting the new folk such as myself and others to not post, not ask questions, not have or voice opinions, not say anything which may rock the boat.

I was also starting to feel this way. I don't really consider myself a total newbie. I was on the forum back a while ago, but left for a few months...I came back and changed my user name, but I still feel unwelcome sometimes. I'm glad someone posted the question to the old timers and that the response from them was positive.:)I've been bad, I need a spanking:$

"I've been bad, I need a spanking"
Oh I can help you with that!
All I can say is....This aint "Rec.Needlepoint" There are a lot of aggressive personalities here. Mine included. The meek dont normally take up skydiving. You are bound to have personality clashes when all these different people get together.
Just rememeber, "You are all equally worthless. Grabasstic pieces of unorganized amphibian shit"- Full Metal Jacket
"Gonna need...some cream for ya ass"-Chef/South Park
Clay

"I've been bad, I need a spanking"
Hmmm,, reminds me of a beutiful blonde hottie that used ta post a lot here,, This place has gotten so busy I just can't read all the posts,, especially after bein off for a few days,, much less get ta know anybody anymore,, so ya I miss the closeness of the old day's,, but still enjoy the site and I'll never flame anyone,, promise!!
Blues and Sweet Dreams!!
Billy

Remember when
skreamer and froggie were the only 2 old timers?

UH, no...
I remember back before that though. In fact, I remember when Skreamer first starting posting here and he received a lukewarm welcome. A bunch of folks thought he was possibly some jerk! Well, they were right, but in no time at all, that jerk wormed his way into our cheesy little adrenaline overworked hearts and is now, most definitely, a huge part of this website!! I guess he would have to be 'eh? Since he's got 1000 posts!! hehe...but I do remember people disliking his tactic of posting one after another to get his numbers up...and SEE?!?! We love him now!! I can't say he returns the affections, but who cares about *that*?!?! LOL
Now froggie, I remember when she first started posting too...she had only done a couple of tandems or something like that, and was friends with Stacy (where is stacy by the way? oh yeah, girls, i met the lady from Square 3, she rocks! we did the hot air balloon adventure together! anyway, i told her i knew you guys from the net and had once considered moving up there) and froggie posted her student experiences as well! That was probably only what, six months ago? But it seems like ages! Girl I am sure you have tons of jumps now! Way to go!!
Sis (don't ask what this post was about b/c I dunno, OK?!?)
I need Pyke to whip my ass...I wish he would quit talking that way...it gets me going!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
I don't want the meaning of life, I want the experience of being alive!

I remember way back in October of last year, after my first reserve ride, the encouragement I got here really pushed me to get back on the plane.
I remember first seeing Pammi & Merrick's wedding photos -- when they first got married.
I remember when the only frequent posters were Monk, Freaksis, Pammi, Merrick, SpeedRacer, and JKA. I lurked more than I posted. Sometimes I still do.
There will always be newbies and always be people who have been on for longer. People come in waves.
I'm happy this place is popular. But resentment is understandable when the whole tone of the thing changes, and there's a bunch of people threatening to leave.
Thank goodness Sangiro moderates it, and "this ain't no damn democracy!" The 'net is a nasty place sometimes. But the people who are here make this place what it is, and it's a durn good place.
:)