bigway

Designing Gloves

I have found a manufacturer who produces leather for major labels.

These people have mad a prototype glove (to them) for my company on the specifications i have asked for.
It is the same as every other glove.

However, you will notice on this picture that they are very plain. This is samples they are sending me as i have asked for them to be plain and then can design from there.

The reason i am posting this is to ask does anyone have any suggestions to what they would like to see a glove have or a design flaw?? For example in the uk it gets very cold and people buy these thermal liners that you put on yourt hand and then your hand in the glove. I am thinking about maybe trying to have this thermal liner made into the glove.

Any suggestions as to what you think our skydiving gloves could use? This is a fantastic opportunity here as this manufacturer is working for free on these samples for me and trial and error is not costing me a cent. I believe i could either have A) a glove that we could all want or B) just a normal glove for my gear store.

I would love to hear from anyone that thinks there could be made slight changes to these sorts of gloves and skydivers could have their own glove.

I am also interested in any dealers who would like to join in on an order to bring prices down. So far I have samples and acess to more samples for anyone interested to try out. (gear store owners and dealers only).

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I prefer the liners as separate. Gives me options as how warm I want the gloves. Maybe make both.

Tackified. I like the extra grip power.

Make then in smaller sizes. I know of quite a few ladies with tiny hands that don't like the kid size batting gloves that are available.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Well they purpose of these samples (that they have tried to get right for a month)... to their knowledge if for 100 skydives to be made on each pair to see how they hold up before placing an order.

So this team that have been working on these (they never had this style/type of glove) have showed me photos the whole way and for them to go through all this and send me 2 dozen pairs for free tell me they should be made of pretty damn good quality.

I have been working all year on getting the right glove made with the right manufacturer and believe that i finally may have found the right one.

However they are still in the post so should be able to get them tested out shortly.

Whatever the case, if they dont hold up, this team will keep working on them until they do.

I have had excellent customer service from this company and know the honest work they have put into making these. I have asked them to change so much to dats and this final prototype is like a blank canvas, if they do hold up i will then have the design (as in colours etc) put to theit test.

What i was thinking of was asking them to try and make a clear pouch on the glove for a neptune to be placed in so it can be on a similar angle to what an altitrack is.

Maybe even a pouch for a small hook knife on the back hand???? I dont know, just being stupid now maybe.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Maybe even a pouch for a small hook knife on the back hand???? I dont know, just being stupid now maybe.

Not being 'stupid' just 'blue skying' ideas, that's how ya get the best product possible! B|

As for a clear pouch, might be an idea as a secondary line, I wouldn't make all of them that way, there are many of us that don't want anything 'extra' on our hands...same goes for the hook knife idea.

I don't like having possible snag points on the tool 9my hand0 that I might be trying to un-snag something with.

The problem with a hook knife on a hand, in addition to it being a possible snag, is if for some reason the 'other' hand is incapacitated...you can't get the knife.

A central point that you can get to with either hand is the best place to carry a knife.

Just something else I'll throw out there...the hook side of the Velcro on gloves often seems to hook everything and make it wear a bit faster than normal. Especially the spandex on the glove itself as well as on jumpsuits.

I had a pair of Neuman 'type' gloves several years ago, that had a small snap on an elastic at the wrist...no Velcro at all.

They were snug and the was never any dirt & grass etc. to interfere with the hook & pile as there often is with Velcro closures.

Given any thought to a Nomex option?

just a thought....

Keep up the good work!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Gary, build them this way and they will be ideal for skydiving(notice the lack of the smiley face nonsense in the example). Build them in larger quantities in white, then black, then all the other colors. I shall keep an eye on the post for my royalty cheque which I expect will arrive straight away once you start production.Good day.;)

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Who makes those gloves at the moment?

You tell me nobody and that you designed this and i shall send it to the manufacturer. Get you some samples.

The smiley face is called branding/marketing for my gear store.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

the gloves i wear are very similar to those Gary, they are called Saranac the only issue i have with them is that they dont last very long, the tips of the 1st and 2nd fingers always seem to wear very quickly, I'm ont my 3rd pair in 300ish jumps
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Yeah i ahve the same issue with the ones i always buy.

I am looking at having some sort of reinforcment built in the finger tips. Maybe tackified leather to cover the finger tipps as well or something.

Anyway, Squeak, I will hold off on sending you your T-shirt till tuesday when the gloves arrive so i can throw a pair in for you. Let me know what size you are.

I am sending a pair out to a few different skydivers to jump so i can get feedback on them.

After that if all is well i will purchase a few hundred of them and be selling them for about $15USD each if that.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I've been looking long and hard for the best skydiving gloves but never found them.
My ideal gloves:

- No velcro (following the trend of removing all velcro from skydiving and it's also not necessary) Just have about an inch of stretch fabric at the wrist.
- Washable. My gloves don't last that long simply because they get dirty and the leather gets hard. Apparently you can't wash leather.
- No padding. Most gloves are for bicycling or something and have some padding which reduces the feeling. Keep it simple.
- Two versions cold/warm weather

Good luck making the best skydiving gloves in the world!;)

Tristan
Will you answer "NO" to my next question?

A possible idea is looking at design features of water-ski gloves. The palm area is built for heavy use for obvious reasons. Also instead of tackified leather it is a 3M material called greptile. Good luck and I will be looking for new gloves soon since my batting gloves are falling apart.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

i use these gloves. good and Tacky. I have used them for working on my truck as they are designed and jumping. Not many jumps of them though. (maybe 10 jumps or so)

I like them because there is no velcro or no snap to kep them on. They use a neoprene wrist closure setup. Just slip them on and they take the shape of the wrist. Very stretchy but firm confident grip. Wont slip off.

You should see about putting that in the design. somethig that doesnt need to be velcroed or snapped. Just slip on and go.

I only use mine when its cold out. here is a link to the glove i use.

https://www.ironclad.com/www/productDetail.jsp?prodID=39&catID=44

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

Gary, build them this way and they will be ideal for skydiving(notice the lack of the smiley face nonsense in the example). Build them in larger quantities in white, then black, then all the other colors. I shall keep an eye on the post for my royalty cheque which I expect will arrive straight away once you start production.Good day.;)

LMAO... You mean like this Scott? These samples just came back from the factory. Followed from your design you attatched. LoL

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

ok, I'm very new to this (going for my A-license tomorrow) but I thought I'd chip in with a little of my experience gained from ice climbing. I can see some similarities:

* Long stretches of inactivity (ride up == freezing your butt off at the belay station)
* short bursts of extreme cold (the dive == the actual ice climbing)
* good finger dexterity a must (handling ropes == pulling the PC)

So the best we ice climbers have come up with is to dress for different thermal 'profiles'. When actually climbing this translates to 'dress light, move fast', when belaying this means putting on lots of layers.

This also applies to the glove department. On a long climb I'll carry 3-5 pairs of lightweight liners, two pairs of neoprene / outdoor-type / windstopper-type gloves for the climbing & I pair of heavy-duty gloves for belaying. Stuff gets wet while ice climbing, hence the redundancy.

The main difference seems to be that for ice climbing your enemy is water & for skydiving it's wind-chill. So the latex fans make sense to me :S

I'm still diving in this ridiculously big orange student jumpsuit so the obvious solution for me would be to have a 'warm' pair of gloves on the ride up & put on the latex/leather/whatever at 11000ft or so & stuff the warm pair in your jumpsuit. (Dress for different thermal profiles in fancy-speak). I guess I'll find out tomorrow, it should be freezing up there. :D

windstopper fleece is one rock solid alternative. worked at -10 degrees celcius

just a tip from norway...;)

peace

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

Watch the tacky palms on some Ironclads--I tried a pair of Boxhandlers and the black rubber tacky spots started staining my toggles, handles and other parts of my gear.
My favorite gloves for summer are a pair of Glacier Gloves--fingerless fishing gloves. Very light weight, Kevlar and leather palms prevent line and riser burns but the open fingers let me work with cameras and other gear as if I have no gloves on. Still looking for the perfect cold weather gloves and reading this link with interest. T

I have had manufacturers who make parachutes, jumpsuits and wingsuits all testing these gloves and are very happy with the results. I am sure you will be seeing a couple of the designs being sold by manufacturers in the not to far off future.

100 + jumps and 5 hours in a tunnel without any wear so far to date by one well known jumper in these forums.

We have decided with manufacturers that we will not be selling these ones to the public and will only be selling them wholesale to manufacturers.

Please excuse the logo on these gloves as they were made as samples and do not reflect anything.
These are our latest ones that are being tested and many manufacturers have requested samples.

these have a very thin feel to them and are waterprrof and would be a great alternative to spring gloves though they do not offer tackified palms.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store