2shay

what ya jump?

I jump a Vector 3. Mostly because my opinion based on a bunch of stuff I have read and talked to people about is that it is the rig that has the most thought and quality put into it. That and I think supporting Bill Booth is a good idea.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I have a Talon 2 and a Wings. The Talon 2 was my first rig, was very well taken care of and is still in awesome condition. It's unpacked right now, and may be getting sold, but it treated me well and I hate to see it go.

I'm currently jumping the Wings and I love it. So comfortable, great pin protection and it's a nice looking rig. I'd buy another Wings any day. And I got an incredible deal on it.

I've been jumping and Icon I3 for the past three years. Still one of the better rigs on the market, but then again some might say I have a bias towards them :P

I'd be somewhat concerend if you didnt spruke the virtues of an Icon:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I jump Icon. I got it because they were the only ones that had a demo rig that fit me at the WFFC 05. I had previously been jumping a Jav. Odesy that was too big for me. The Icon fit me perfect and I got a super deal.
I have had a few issues with my rig.... D-bag stitching came apart in less than 100 jumps. Aerodyne made me a new one for free.
I have also had some issues with their soft links as of late.
Cocking my extra long pilot chute is also tedious... you need to have a PHD in packing to know how to do it.

but overall i am happy with my rig. It has served me well and is very comfortable.
I would buy another one.... Isn't that the most important question....;)

HISPA 72 ----- "Muff Brother" 3733

Dude. Two things.

1. Ugly. Even Racers know they're ugly. Their own ads once said.. "At 600ft, the last thing you need is pretty gear."

2. Are those little sit up and beg doggy dolls on top of the bookshelf in the upper left hand corner of the pic?

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I have my mind set on a mirage or a vector3.

Yeah, the Vector is a great rig too - just a pity about those battery cable terminating lugs on the ends of the cutaway housings.

t

Anyone have a picture of those handy?

This is a pretty timely question, actually. Check page 47 of the May issue of Parachutist. The top right picture shows the cast stainless steel part that Mirage cutaway housings have at the end. The other pictures show the electrical connectors that show up on many other rigs. The two pictures in the middle show the electrical connectors pretty well. I also attached pictures. The Mirage picture is from their website. The Vector picture is from the Vector 3 manual. I'm no expert, so don't ask me if one works better than the other.

Oh, and to answer the thread: I jump a Vector 3. I love it.

I'm no expert, so don't ask me if one works better than the other.

The one on the Vector would work better as a battery connecting lug than the one on the Mirage..;)

Seriously, on a rig that's expected to last 20 years, those "made for battery" lugs don't last very well at all, especially on gear owned by schools that do very high volumes of dives. I find it worrying that something so absolutely critical to a clean escape, is actually designed for something else entirely - that has NOTHING to do with skydiving.

t

Not quite sure what you are talking about???

The only wear issue I have with AMP fittings is that the plastic heat shrink tubing has to be replaced every few hundred jumps.
But then replacing plastic tubing is far less hassle than replacing nylon fabric, tape or webbing on the harness.

Not quite sure what you are talking about???

The fittings are not one piece. I can't recall offhand now (since I don't have them on my rig) but some have a grommet surrounded by some high conductivity metal such as copper. Yes, the plastic does wear, but it's the oxidation and wear of these rather soft metals that are my primary concern, as even a small nick could be enough to snag the white nylon loop and either damage it - requiring replacement of the risers, or difficulty/failure to release in the event of a breakaway.

Regardless of these issues, there is simply no standard to which these fittings can be compared. Are they purchaced by rig manufacturers from the local hardware store? Or are they purchased in bulk from a manufacturer? Which manufacturer? What happens if that manufacturer has non available? What is the procedure? As someone who runs an ISO 9001:2000 system I'm reminded of the section on control of suppliers. I'd be interested to see all manufacturers reply to this, since to the best of my knowledge, Mirage are the only manufacturer who use a purpose built part in this roll.

Edit to add:

ISO 9001:2000

The organization shall evaluate and select suppliers based on their ability to supply product in accordance with the organization's requirements. Criteria for selection, evaluation and re-evaluation shall be established. Records of the results of evaluations and any necessary actions arising from the evaluation shall be maintained.

Now I know most manufacturers are not certified, but don't you think the above point is simply good business practice? Do you think that a battery terminating lug was designed to last 20 years in a critical life saving roll?

I don't.

That single feature indicates to me the difference between a company that builds a rig to a purpose - and one that finds parts to build a rig. I'm not saying a Mirage is better than any other rig, but I'm a purist, and elements of their design appeal strongly to me.

I recall the early days of the curved pin, before the stamped and rolled one we all use as jewelry today. Back then some manufacturers made their own, by bending bits of chromed wire and braising the hole shut. I recall the chrome pitting off the pin, and snagging on the closure loop. I recall soft pins, and ones where the braising had lifted the chrome which hooked when the pin was pushed in all the way.

These days we use a purpose built part. Why do we have to learn these lessons again?

OK. Rant over. You can all go back to looking at your pretty rigs now. Just don't look too closely.

t

1. Ugly. Even Racers know they're ugly. Their own ads once said.. "At 600ft, the last thing you need is pretty gear."

Ugly is an opinion. I think with the right colors, Racer look kick ass.

2. Are those little sit up and beg doggy dolls on top of the bookshelf in the upper left hand corner of the pic?

Its a lamp. Why?
Na' Cho' Cheese

Ugly is an opinion.

Only when used by someone outside. When ugly says they're ugly, it's fact.

Its a lamp. Why?

I see the lamp. That looks like a doggy.

I don't mean to offend, it's just that I look for details. Others see the Racer, I see the lamp.

I can't compare it to anything other than a student Zerox but my Wings container is so damn comfy. I love it. Looks pretty too and seems to have the illusion of looking smaller than it is considering its got a 210 in it.

I automatically get put off by things that are overhyped and overpriced when there are other products that do exactly the same job for less.