Thijs

Divingboard question

I have a question for the diving people here.

I think that I do not gain enough altitude when I jump on the divingboard.
Is there something I can do to gain more altitude while jumping? Or what is the best technique to jump upward?
Or are there certain trainings (outside diving) that can help me to gain more altitude?

Thanks

Hi Thijs,
Well, there are a number of factors that could be involved. What kind of hurdle are you doing? I assume you are doing a standard diving hurdle with three or five steps, no? First of all, I'd make sure that you are getting nice high lift on your last step into the hurdle (where you then bring your legs together to come down and start your final bounce on the board with both feet together). A strong, powerful hurdle is half of what sets you nice and high when you leave the board.
The second factor would be where the fulcrum on the board is set. Are you using a professional board with an adjustable fulcrum? If so, try moving it back a bit (to make it springier) and see what that does. If you are just using a crappy diving board with no adjustable fulcrum in a small pool, that could certainly be the problem.
What kind of dives are you doing? Just curious.

John in San Francisco

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply.
It is not a professional diving board we have at our pool (well, both the 3meter diving boards are professional boards but the 1 meter diving board ain't), so I guess it definitely is a factor.
I basically take a few steps, and then I jump toward the end of the divingboard from about 1 meter (or a bit less) from the end of the divingboard. I used this technique for trampoline jumping, but I'm starting to have my doubts if it also works for diving.
Is it better to go first to the complete end of the divingboard, and then take a last jump upward?

I mostly do front somersault (single, 1 and half) in tucked or pike, sometimes trying to put a twist in it.
Unfortunately there is no diving club at my pool, despite the fact that we have a diving tower (10 meters) there.

I have a question for the diving people here.

I think that I do not gain enough altitude when I jump on the divingboard.
Is there something I can do to gain more altitude while jumping? Or what is the best technique to jump upward?
Or are there certain trainings (outside diving) that can help me to gain more altitude?

Thank goodness I read the replies for clarification.

I was thinking there was some new kind of skydiving board/technique/exit or whatever that I was completely out of the loop on.:D
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Thank goodness I read the replies for clarification.

I was thinking there was some new kind of skydiving board/technique/exit or whatever that I was completely out of the loop on.:D

Hmm, you are giving me ideas...
Anyone ever took a diving board with him in a plane with a rear exit door? ;):P:D
Should get some cool exits...

Jeez -- try writing a serious reply and look at all the sarcasm that follows. ;)
I am getting some serious ideas involving a tailgate plane and a mini-tramp, though. Or, has anybody every tried to rig a trapeze to hang from a plane??
Back to the original question, yes, you want to be as close as possible to the very edge of the board on your final bounce, and if it is a stiff board, Burger King might not be a bad idea. You have a 10m tower? Where are you exactly? Can I come visit? Belguim isn't THAT far from SF is it? Something about insurance liability seems to have closed every last diving board/tower in this country that was open to the public.
J

Or, has anybody every tried to rig a trapeze to hang from a plane??

Mmmm, not so much a trapeze, but the Deland skyvan has a bar under the tailgate you can grab onto, flip out, and hold on to and dangle from while the plan flies.

Of course, I have never successfully been able to accomplish this maneuver.:D I always loose my grip with one hand and fall off.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

In addition to what johnsw71 said and to help clarify, you want your last step (the one that starts your hurdle) to be about 18 to 24 inches from the end of the board. With this last step try to push the board down with your foot and then jump up and out to the end of the board. The goal is to land as close to the end of the board with out letting your toes go over the edge. Also the movement of your arms will make a huge diffence. Try to move them in an circular upward fashion so that they are above your head on your hurdle jump then they come back down and quickly move above your head again when leaving the board. Having them above your head as your leaving also gives you a lot more power to through them downward to start your somersaults/twists. Hopefully that makes sense. I was a springboard diver through highschool and college and coached highschool diving for 5 years but it's tough to explain with out being able to demonstrate visually.
www.lukeevens.com
http://beachbodycoach.com/lguard8

In addition to what johnsw71 said and to help clarify, you want your last step (the one that starts your hurdle) to be about 18 to 24 inches from the end of the board. With this last step try to push the board down with your foot and then jump up and out to the end of the board. The goal is to land as close to the end of the board with out letting your toes go over the edge. Also the movement of your arms will make a huge diffence. Try to move them in an circular upward fashion so that they are above your head on your hurdle jump then they come back down and quickly move above your head again when leaving the board. Having them above your head as your leaving also gives you a lot more power to through them downward to start your somersaults/twists. Hopefully that makes sense. I was a springboard diver through highschool and college and coached highschool diving for 5 years but it's tough to explain with out being able to demonstrate visually.

Thanks for the clarification, Luke. Great advice.
As far as that awesome-looking board at bridge day, I think if I went off that I'd immediately go into diving mode and prepare to enter the water head first, totally forgetting to pull!

In addition to Luke's comments, bear in mind that the board will propell you. You do not use the board as much as let the spring use you. Your wieght properly placed will drive the action, for which you patiently await the equal and opposite reaction. The fun is in taking that ride for all it is worth. Feel the energy you are putting into the board. Grab the energy the board returns.

Mark

but it's tough to explain with out being able to demonstrate visually.

I was thinking the same thing and you peeps made it look so easy.:D

Only thing i will add, is focus on jumping UP not OUT or leaning too far foward thus propelling yourself out over the pool and not getting max height.B|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

but it's tough to explain with out being able to demonstrate visually.

I was thinking the same thing and you peeps made it look so easy.:D

Only thing i will add, is focus on jumping UP not OUT or leaning too far foward thus propelling yourself out over the pool and not getting max height.B|

But jumping out can be fun when you're doing a 1 1/2 in a small pool so you can be sure to enter in the shallow end. :S

Good advice guys! As greybeard said let the board do the work. If you put some good energy into the hurdle the board will do most of the work for you after that. I see a lot of people not getting the full benefit of a spring board because they are trying to hard or jumping off the board before it is done pushing you up. Ride the board all the way up. Also as Brains mentioned concentrate on reaching and jumping more up not out. The board is only giving out some much force and if you use half of it to jump out you will be that much lower. Not to mention its harder to do somersaults/twists if your leaning foward. Hope this helps. With out having someone watching you and telling you specifically what your doing this information should keep you busy for a while. Good Luck!
www.lukeevens.com
http://beachbodycoach.com/lguard8

Few Things.......i diddent read all the post's so....
All depends on the spring of the board, and your weight. if your weight bottoms out the spring you loose the reaction. if thats not the case.....try to aim for the end of the board......swing your arms up as you start to leave the surface...you wanna time it just right!!.........all about timing!! i can do a double gainer off ours and the god damn thing sucks a shit ton!!

The split second you feel the end of your force on the board, not the board response, the bottom of your input, your mind's visual is the execution of the dive and entry.
Zen like and very bitch'n.

This topic takes me back. What a blast! Thanks. Anybody want to talk about platform, cliff, or areil dives. Lead me to skydiving.