humbled1

When you pack like me, you have to trust your rigger!

Not jumping with an AAD is by choice, I understand you may not agree, but I guess that is ok.

I do appreciate your opinion and I do realize most peeps think jumping with an AAD is the best situation.

I am not sure where that was "ALMOST" a fatality, but your point is well taken. (yeah it could ended much worse, but I sure did not pull my reserve to low, I was actually told I pulled it too high...rubbish for sure)

I also dont believe using an AAD=No Possiblity of Dying, but it does give you an extra safely net, I will agree with that!
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

btw, to whoever says I lost sight of the 2 guys I was jumping with, to bad so sad, u are WRONG! I have eyeballs in sockets that roll. I went to my back 3 times during my sit, what u saw SPINNING was me going to my belly, I had COMPLETE sight of both jumpers at pull time even if you didnt.

I see.

So even though you could see your jump buddy you thought it would be a good idea to deploy facing him with no attempt to gain any additional seperation apart from what you'd gained by being bad at sit flying?

Good plan.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

:S

if you ever see such a picture again, cutaway immediately.. you took way too long for that!

Hey VB, I want get on you about the "getting stable" thing because everyone else did already.:P

He had lots of altitude, so I think it was okay to stare at it a bit. I've done the same when I've had the time.

I was concerned when I watched the video of blue sky as the reserve was deploying, indicating he was going over on his back.:o

What's better? Put your feet up on your butt, find your handles, arch, chop, pull reserve, arch harder. Don't try to "get stable" after you chop, be stable from the moment you chop. If you're wearing a camera, keep your head down and turn the camera mount towards the front, as far from the deploying reserve as you can. I've got about a dozen chops doing this, all stable. :)

I know how to spot a step-thru while packing, my first encounter with one resulted in a urgent phone call to my friend who gave me my main (a packer then now a rigger) who came over and laughed as he explained my canopy was not broken, but that I had a step-thru. He then went on to show me the different ways to correct it, (flip the main, or better flip the container)...

I'm still not convinced that "step-thru" is the proper name for what you're describing. It sounds more like a flip-thru. Have someone demonstrate both to you, with an unpacked canopy laid out on the ground, so that you understand the difference. Then you can recognize what each looks like, and what the proper corrective action is for each.

There's a whole lot of arguing semantics in this thread: Flip-through vs. Step-through.

Who cares what it's called?

Do a line check...If it ain't right, fix it! Then flake it and put in a bag, and DON'T FUCK WITH IT ANYMORE.

Then stow the lines, close the container, jump it, and repeat:)
I'm not trying to bash the OP, but I fail to understand how that procedure is so complicated that he can have 3 mals as a result of not following it:S

I got nuthin

Flip-through vs. Step-through.reply]

Hmm, I've heard it called both names, but never knew there was a difference. According to CSPA, there are seven entaglements:

Step-through (below slider)
Step-through (above slider)
Step-through risers (below slider)
Step-through risers (above slider)
Step-through lines (below slider)
Step-through lines (above slider)
Step-through cascade

How does a step-though and a flip-through differ?

Flip-through vs. Step-through.

Hmm, I've heard it called both names, but never knew there was a difference. According to CSPA, there are seven entaglements:

Stepflip-through (below slider)
Stepflip-through (above slider)
Step-through risers (below slider)
Step-through risers (above slider)
Step-through lines (below slider)
Step-through lines (above slider)
Step-through cascade

How does a step-though and a flip-through differ?

I fixed it for you and perhaps that explains it.

so are you saying I was to close to deploy safely?

If not, then what is your point besides the fact I am not much of a freeflyer? (which I agree with)

If you are saying that it was a unsafe deployment, then I disagree with you completely.

so what is your point?

I know how to spot a step-thru while packing, my first encounter with one resulted in a urgent phone call to my friend who gave me my main (a packer then now a rigger) who came over and laughed as he explained my canopy was not broken, but that I had a step-thru. He then went on to show me the different ways to correct it, (flip the main, or better flip the container)...

I'm still not convinced that "step-thru" is the proper name for what you're describing. It sounds more like a flip-thru. Have someone demonstrate both to you, with an unpacked canopy laid out on the ground, so that you understand the difference. Then you can recognize what each looks like, and what the proper corrective action is for each.

for me the proper action is determined AFTER I do my control check, I don't care what name you want to give it, call it Hello Kitty if you want. If I cant safely land it I call it Chop Suey

There's a whole lot of arguing semantics in this thread: Flip-through vs. Step-through.

Do a line check...If it ain't right, fix it! Then flake it and put in a bag, and DON'T FUCK WITH IT ANYMORE.

I'm not trying to bash the OP, but I fail to understand how that procedure is so complicated that he can have 3 mals as a result of not following it:S

bash me all you want but I really enjoy the sexual relations I have with my dbag, I love her?

ps try reading the entire thread my latin lover!! :ph34r:

god I luv ur monkey!!

I understand what ur getting at, all 3 of my screwed up pack jobs were different types of step-thrus/flip-thrus. I do understand what I was doing wrong.

After this last mal I was NOT going to jump my own pack job till it was figured out. Thanks to my friend, Montana, I understand exactly what I did wrong. I did not see the "BIG PICTURE" regarding the deployment procedure and how it is reverse of how I put it in the container. To most jumpers my ignorance makes no sense, but I just didnt get it.

I jumped my latest pack job today and had no issues, I am now confident I understand how to properly place my dbag in the container.

I am going to upload another version of just the mal, this one will be in real time so you can appreciate what happened. For better or worse, opening with my 4th malfunction did not alarm me (remember I landed one mal, at night!), I just wanted to get an idea of what had went wrong.

Also after taking a VERY good look at the video, it took me LESS than 200ft to stow my handles, and this included me taking the needed step of doing a rear riser turn while I was stowing my handles in my jumpsuit.

Also ACCORDING TO THE TANDEM INSTRUCTOR, I was fun jumping with (yes he made it clear he was going to backslide while sitting (eeerrr dude....I fall straight down in a sit...NO BACKSLIDING, orbiting or zooming)...but hey u can INSTRUCT online u must rock...lol) he said I WAS IN A NICE ARCH, BELLY-TO_EARTH when my reserve deployed, but what does he know he was only watching me!!

please keep in mind I KNEW there were 7 people on that otter, 3 in my group, and 2 tandems, it may not matter to you, but it did to me.

Sorry if I mixed up the terms, but hopefully I only have to use them in past tense from now on! e.g. step-thru, flip-thru, etc....

blah blah blah...here is the link to the actual malfucntion;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVXNwmYlrhc

and for those of you who realize u were wrong, please kiss my hairy, white ass...:P

i understand your point about bigways, in everyday sportjumping, deployment altitudes should be above 3000, i'd even suggest 3500ft. at least, thats what i do!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

well, if he wouldnt of stared at it for like minutes, he could of cut away, do a barell-roll, a front- and a backflip, get back to stable, pull his reserve and collect points for style, too! :P

i'll pull high, i'll chop, fall stable and THEN deploy my reserve. but i'm a dirty high puller, so.. :P

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

i understand your point about bigways, in everyday sportjumping, deployment altitudes should be above 3000, i'd even suggest 3500ft. at least, thats what i do!

More important than how high you open is knowing how high you are. I've had high cutaways, I've had low cutaways, but I always knew how far away the ground was.;)

3500'? That's breakoff altitude for us old fart belly flyers.:P

for me the proper action is determined AFTER I do my control check, I don't care what name you want to give it, call it Hello Kitty if you want. If I cant safely land it I call it Chop Suey

For in-air action, I agree.

However, the "corrective action" I was referring to was about how to recognize a problem on the ground while packing, and how to fix it, so that you don't have to chop-suey it in the air. That seems to be where the root of your problem lies.

i understand your point about bigways, in everyday sportjumping, deployment altitudes should be above 3000, i'd even suggest 3500ft.

"Should" is a mighty big word.

Who are you to tell everyone else at what altitude they should deploy?

Shouldn't that depend upon everyone's own personal choice, based upon experience, type of equipment, canopy opening speed, risk acceptance level, etc.?

What type of lens do you have on your camera?

It was closer than you needed to be.

so what is your point?

Good practice. Meandering about on your back and then doing a turn or two as you get unstable flipping back onto your front is not a good way to end a freefly jump, any freefly jump, and will do nothing but build bad habits.

It's also indicative of an altogether slack-assed, half-cocked, doesn't-know-or-give-a-shit approach to skydiving that has seen you already pack three extremely obvious malfunctions in a pretty short jumping career. In short, I think you need to sort your shit out before it really bites you in the ass.

What type of lens do you have on your camera?

It was closer than you needed to be.

so what is your point?

Good practice. Meandering about on your back and then doing a turn or two as you get unstable flipping back onto your front is not a good way to end a freefly jump, any freefly jump, and will do nothing but build bad habits.

It's also indicative of an altogether slack-assed, half-cocked, doesn't-know-or-give-a-shit approach to skydiving that has seen you already pack three extremely obvious malfunctions in a pretty short jumping career. In short, I think you need to sort your shit out before it really bites you in the ass.

Too bad there weren't no innernet when I started jumpin'! :)

All the goofy shit I did...somebody prolly woulda told be to quit and then I'd have ALL kinds of extra MONEY! :DB|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

All the goofy shit I did...somebody prolly woulda told be to quit

Eh? I didn't tell him to quit, I told him to get better!

There's also a distinction between doing stupid shit and just not paying attention to whatever it is you are doing. Let's face it, the guy's not on a good road right now and needs to front up!

All the goofy shit I did...somebody prolly woulda told be to quit

Eh? I didn't tell him to quit, I told him to get better!

There's also a distinction between doing stupid shit and just not paying attention to whatever it is you are doing. Let's face it, the guy's not on a good road right now and needs to front up!

In my case after I started payin' attention to what was happening to my friends doing stupid shit...I cut a lot of it out! :)
And as long as we al keep watching out for each other, this sport will continue to be the brotherhood it is! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

bash me all you want but I really enjoy the sexual relations I have with my dbag, I love her?

ps try reading the entire thread my latin lover!! :ph34r:

god I luv ur monkey!!

Dude WTF? Is your username supposed to be sarcastic?

Did I misread the thread and quote you as having only 3 mals as a result of poor packing when it was actually 4?

I see you're taking light of the situation and making jokes...Skydivers like to make jokes:)
I'm glad that you now see and understand the big picture, but it took you a long time to do it!

We all fuck up, it's part of learning. I've got a large metal collection in my leg as a result of fucking up. But I tell you that it was a fuckup I only had to make once.

Latin Lover??? Dude, I'm Canadian!

I hope your sexual relations with your D-bag are long and prosperous (if you really love her, stop packing mals that require cutting her away) And you can't have my monkey
I got nuthin