grue

Hey Motorcycle Crew™, question for you...

I sometimes ride with a decent ssize gear bag but it hurts like hell after a while.

A mate in Oz who rode a Blackbird used to put his gear into a suitcase and strap it onto the back. it worked pretty well and he bought a tent with him too on the 2 hr trip from Canberra to the DZ.

One thing I have not done is ride with just my rig on although as it is freefly friendly it is probably bike friendly.

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

I sometimes ride with a decent ssize gear bag but it hurts like hell after a while.

A mate in Oz who rode a Blackbird used to put his gear into a suitcase and strap it onto the back. it worked pretty well and he bought a tent with him too on the 2 hr trip from Canberra to the DZ.

One thing I have not done is ride with just my rig on although as it is freefly friendly it is probably bike friendly.

Yeah, I was thinking about getting a bag I could just tie down onto the bike for everything but the rig, and just throw my rig over my shoulders. I suppose it's one of those things I'll just have to figure out.
cavete terrae.

I refused to wear my rig on my person AT ALL while riding. If you have a premie in the air, it sucks. If you have a premie on your bike, even if its only over your shoulders and no chest strap...you're going to get ripped off your bike. You WILL be hurt and you might be killed.

I put everything in my gear bag and bungy it to my sissy bar. Works like a champ.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

TRUE STORY- CAUTION !!!!! a long time ago, there was a well-liked jumper, around 4000 jumps, RW stud, freefly god, swooper, etc. great reputation with all, ST&A loved him, AFF, the whole works.

he would ride with his rig on with toothpicks or a little steel wire routed through BOTH the main and reserve closing loops, locking the rig shut

one day, at nine grand, some one gave this stud a pin check, one he didn't ask for, and he said Ok probably to be nice to the newbie, (who was trying to show his safety by asking and offering a check)

BOTH toothpicks where firmly locking his rig.

He would have died in all likelihood.

MOREOVER:

a toothpick is not guaranteed to not fall out while at freeway speeds, so it is both stupid on the bike and dangerous in the air.

A gear bag IS NOT MUCH BETTER, as aggie noted.

If you study Dr. Hurt's report (yes, his real name and the most respected study on motorcycle safety) You will find that a backpack can be very dangerous in a motorcycle crash!

A helmet is not enough (no, I do Not support helmet laws) full leathers is not enough, gloves and boots, man you slide A LOT - IF you are LUCKY, when you go down. a back pack will GET CAUGHT and Twist and flip you, it could KILL You.

As Aggie does, do like the motorcycle safety foundation says and stow your load LOW and Close to the center or gravity.

(I love bikes:15 years dirt, 5 street, from 50ccs, to rice rockets to Hogs)

PLEASE KEEP the RUBBER SIDE DOWN, and excuse the caps, I just don't want you to get hurt.

recap.

1. never ride with a rig on
2. Have proper shoes, gloves, full body leathers or at least jeans & Leather jacket. in addition to helmet.
3. DONATE to the American Motorcycle Association - Ralph Nadir wrote a book 'unsafe at any speed' arguing for the out law of two wheels, it could happen and helmet laws suck, even though I go full face all the time.
4. Buy Harley Davidson stock, symbol HOG on the NYSE, I she is one of the great success stories, over 2400% growth in the last 15 plus years.
5. don't ride with a backpack ether,

but on a side note it would be cool to see a professional stunt where a guy deploys a base rig after ridding a Hayabusa off a cliff at 186 mph.
that guy on stunt junkies kinda does this, its sick, search around for a link.

have you *GASP* *horror* thought of saddle bags (yes, at first the chicks don't think it is cool, until you get to the mountain top an you pull out a huge blanket, two bottle of champagne, and tint, steaks, tools, lights, bed time stores. The next morning you make a Base, pack up and roll on.

Saddle bags look ever sicker, when you smoke some newbie on his R-6, you know the kid is going 'What Da FVCK" (saving racing for Track day though)

cool that you do both sports, I surprised that there is not more-overlap between the communities

Remember that you are INVISBLE, an invisible magnet infact. Never assume that any vehicle, can see you or will stop for you. People die everyday because of left hand turns in front of them, people will look you right in the eye and STILL turn right AT you.

You must have total awareness and never ride drunk, or almost worse Angry, emotion has no place on two wheels.

Have fun and remember that there are old riders and bold riders, but no old bold riders.

Blue ones
Joe

I just strap my gear bag to my bike like I would any luggage. There's a pic (I love pictures) with my gear bag and backpack on my bike :)

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I ride a cruiser, so I attach my gear bag to the sissy bar. I also have a locker at the DZ, so normally I don't have to bring the gear home at all.

If I had a sport bike that'd be harder to do :P

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I think you mentioned before you had a sportbike? Correct me if I am wrong. I have a sportbike. I leave my gear in a rented locker at the dropzone when I take my motorcycle. I do not know if you have that option. If you do, that might be the safest thing to do.