bloody_trauma

anyone ever jump drunk/high/halucinating?

Have you read the History and Trivia forum? I don't think anyone in the '70's ever jumped sober:D

Nowadays, no way in hell. But I will tell you for a fact that people used to jump fucked up on all kinds of stuff back in the seventies. I used to jump on pot (seventies stregth Columbian, not like the buds people smoke nowadays) and after a few beers. One time I drove drunk to the dropzone after a wedding and ORGANIZED a 9 Way diamond with the center base pulling out before breakoff - successfully, I might add. Cocaine was also much too common in those days.

We used to pass around coke sniffers in the plane and even pass around lit up "power hitters" (designed for smoking on a motorcycle) in freefall. We thought it was fun.

Never jumped tripping, but I'll tell you I knew some people who did, on mushrooms or blotter acid. I used to trip, but I'd never do it jumping because the space/time distortion was just too incompatible.

I also watched a guy go in, who was for a fact stoned on pot and jumping borrowed gear with one arm in a cast. He pulled his reserve about 100 ft off the deck and bounced right at line stretch.

Maybe this belongs in the History thread. It's not pretty and I don't condone any of it. I cleaned up my own act and got married & raised some kids. I wouldn't jump with anyone nowadays who I didn't think was sober and mentally with it. But it used to be a HUGELY widespread practice and anyone who denies it is covering up or just didn't know what was going on.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Nowadays, no way in hell. But I will tell you for a fact that people used to jump fucked up on all kinds of stuff back in the seventies. I used to jump on pot (seventies stregth Columbian, not like the buds people smoke nowadays) and after a few beers. One time I drove drunk to the dropzone after a wedding and ORGANIZED a 9 Way diamond with the center base pulling out before breakoff - successfully, I might add. Cocaine was also much too common in those days.

We used to pass around coke sniffers in the plane and even pass around lit up "power hitters" (designed for smoking on a motorcycle) in freefall. We thought it was fun.

Never jumped tripping, but I'll tell you I knew some people who did, on mushrooms or blotter acid. I used to trip, but I'd never do it jumping because the space/time distortion was just too incompatible.

You got any video? If it aint on video it didn't happen:P

I would love to watch some video of that.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Once, just a little. Mid-90's. Windy day, made a jump but decided not to fly again UNLESS the scheduled high-altitude load was flying. There seemed to be little interest at manifest and it appeared the high load would not go. Ener a friend who invited me for a walk behind the hangar...

I did not stay long at the meeting, but as I was no longer a regular participant my brief exposure had a slight but noticeable affect. We returned to learn the load was on a 20-minute call.

On the way to altitude my altimeter was reading 6000'. As we had already passed through 6000' a few minutes before I deduced that we were, in fact, above 12,000' and proceeded to add 12+6 to determine our actual altitude. I'm pleased to report that I got the right answer, but it took much longer than it should have. Hypoxia?

Loose 3-way, no contact planned. Had a bunch of fun, opened at 3000' almost straight over the landing area, rode brakes & crabbed a bit descending almost straight down to the target.

Never did it again.

Cheersh,
Jon S.

NO. Not ever. I wont even get on a plane if I've had a drink. A line has to be drawn somewhere, and thats where I draw mine.
Also, if I know you're you've been doing any of the above you can forget jumping with me.
I bounced off the earth and lived, many jumps ago under a much more docile canopy. Now, I must have complete attention. I wont even jump if Im feeling bad after a long night of partying. I can always jumpe next weekend. I cant if Im dead.

Ive had a collision in freefall (freefly at that), it hurt badly. So bad in fact I didnt know if I was going to be able to flare fully. that put me out of jumping for two weeks. I dont want someone with questionable reaction times on a dive with me.

I know it happens, I do my best to prevent it, but its the way of things. If you go in and youre fucked up. I'll miss you, but youre a dumbass.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Late 80's, night jumps at a DZ in N. FL. A certain individual dropped a couple of hits of really good blotter. He was in freefall on his back, looking at the stars, thinking they were the streetlights, and wondering why they weren't getting any closer.
He eventually rolled over, saw that he was incredibly close to the planet and dumped at under 1000.
Tripping and skydiving...not good.
Same DZ, same era. Some people would twist up a fatty, wait until 3000 on the way up. LIght it and tell the pilot, "keep climbing until it's finished". They often paid for 9.5, but got 12 or 13.
That said, altered states and skydiving do not go well together. The sport is plenty high.

I've certainly never done all three at the same time.

That would just be ludicrous and irresponsible.

All three at the same time, huh? ;)

I've had several friends that used to jump high a lot. One of them didn't make it out, but I don't know if the pot really contributed.

dang, i would have never have geussed any of that shit was going on, i live in germany so i can see me having a beer with the deuscthelanders and then going up, but ones my limit prolly not even that half a liter maybe and then i'd wait a while before going, and none till i get up past 50 jumps. thats my limit and i'll make revisions when i get to that number. i don't drink but that much and then wait an hour or so before i drive anywhere, anything after that and i give the keys to the wife. don't blame ya for not wanting to partake with someone who is impaired, that perfectly understandable and expected
Fly it like you stole it

Just remember kids, when us children of the 60's did it (not that I ever did) it was likely under a round which didn't require those fine motor skills you swoopmeisters have. The seventies crowd got high just to dull the pain. The eighties bunch was too into themselves to think about what might happen to the others they ran into. The nineties bunch didn't want to dull their senses cause they were too busy calculating how much burning in would cost them.

Now for the new millenium kids, they, what were we talking about? :S

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

I am going to take Twardo's advice before I post any stories, and calculate the statute of limitations first. Actually any stories that may or may not contains scenes of extreme drug abuse and skydiving will only be done offline. Too many readers these days and I like the moneyI make;):PB|
Rainbo
TheSpeedTriple - Speed is everything
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."