PumaN

Does someone know a Jeffrey T Dancy?

Jeffrey T Dancy from Columbus sold me:
a blue 1998 reflex rig with a 2004 sabre2 190 (19 jumps) and a over date cypres.
Raven 3 reserve

I paid but it never came over. How could I be so dumb?

Does someone know this gear or this person?
I can upload some pictures.
Yes it is from ebay

Damn I wish you had asked first! Jeffrey Dancy is the alias of the guy who stole FastandEasydeal's identity on DZ, as well as hijacked his Ebay account. There have already been several FBI IC3 filings on this. Feel free to PM me and I will fill you in.

No reason to let the shit know everything that we know.

I didn't use paypal:(

How did you pay ? Where did you send the funds to ? If it was a check, plesae give an address. If it was Western Union/MoneyGram please give any pretinent info. I don't think anybody is going to mind this "personal" info in a public forum. Any chance you have a phone number for this person ?

If you seriously believe that you've been defrauded go to the cops. You've got bank account info, the bank will have more info. If the info is real, they'll find him and perhaps get his attention.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

labrys-

First off, that bank information is printed at the bottom of every check you write. Every crack smoking 7-11 employee you have ever handed a check to has your bank account information. We have this idea here in the US that bank account numbers are sacred and protected. Go to a European website and you will see that they post their bank account numbers right on the site so that people can wire them money directly. Wire transfers have gotten to be so popular internationally that no one else in the global community thinks a thing of giving out account numbers.
Second, either you folks missed my post, or just ignored it. This is a known scam! There is an ongoing investigation into this, as many others have been taken as well. Why is everyone so interested in protecting the scammer? Lets offer our support to the victim.

I guess that is why I deal in a certified check / money order. At least I can look it over for the water marks and all.

I never send anything until that comes and it comes throught the good old snail mail.

I hate to see people get ripped off. As we think we can trust others to do the right thing, but then again we dont. Its people like this that cause problems for us hard working / trust worthy folks that want to do good.

While the web is great in getting the word out for items it does have it down side. This being it.

Deal in trust/ Deal in faith/ make a trust worthy deal for us all.

Just my two cents here....
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

Money orders are not safe either. They have been stolen in ever increasing number expecially overseas and used to conduct fraudulent purchases. The checks are "good" but the funds are not there behind them and the banks don't notice that for a few days when they draw the funds finally.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

"money orders are not safe either" I'LL SAY. Charlie Mack(nitrochute) was paid by a guy calling himself Don Stutts. $1300 for a powered parachute canopy. BUT the money orders were bogus,so he did not ship it(yes it was reported to police).To add insult to injury, this guy has come on dropzone.com as "tangledlines" trying to ruin Charlie's reputation.Charlie Mack is now out of business,because of health problems,BUT he Has taken care of EVERYONE with a legitimate claim.

I agree that it does sound like a scam and I hope the victim gets his money back, honestly. I have no delusions that my bank account info is "protected" but I'd sure prefer not to see it posted in a public forum. [:/]

The OP didn't say anything about his guy being convicted of any crimes though, did he? How'd you enjoy having your account info posted here if you got into a dispute over a sale?
Owned by Remi #?

First of all, this guy ("Jeff Dancy") has an obvious history of ripping people off, including scamming people through eBay and hijacking a legitimate username here in the forums. Provided that all of the information posted about him here is true (very likely), he deserves whatever he gets.

On the other hand, there are occasions that involve a severely delayed payment for gear already shipped, or severely delayed shipping of gear already payed for in which there are legitimate reasons for the delay (a hospital stay in the middle of the transaction, for example). There have been many posts similar to this one in which the delinquent party eventually made good with an apology and a good explanation.

What we don't want to do here is to establish a precedent in the G&R Forum where users who have sold gear and not been paid (or received what they paid for) feel they have carte blanche to post as much personal information about the delinquent party as they can for whatever reason. In cases like I mentioned above, it would be a shame for someone with good reasons for a delay to have their identity stolen because their personal info was posted here.

Now, back to "Mr. Dancy" - I removed his personal info from the post above, but saved it for anyone who wants it - I will be happy to provide it via PM.

My own story: I bought a used Pro Dytter through eBay about 3 years ago for $85. I sent the seller funds via USPS money order. I got an email a few days later saying: "I got your payment, your item will ship today." I got nothing for over a month despite several "where's my stuff?" emails. I was about to file a complaint through eBay, when I got an email from the seller from a different email address. He said he had just gotten out of jail for driving his truck through his girlfriend's living room because she was shacking up with another man. He apologized, shipped it Express Mail with an apology, and all was good.
Arrive Safely

John

Ok. Everybody is making good points. May I add something to the table ? I happen to have over 14,000 feebacks on eBay and kinda of know what I am talking about :)

Paypal :

Selling :
if you can, make sure they are VERIFIED (means their bank account is on file nad they have confirmed that they have acess to it), and CONFIRMED ADDRESS (means they have a credit card onfile and there CC billing address has been confirmed).
Ship to their CONFIRMED address and make sure to require a signature for anything over $250 USD
Ship within 7 days

Buying :
Use your CC to finance the transaction. That gives you the flexibility of the issuing banks refund policy, not paypals (cuz paypal is strict and anal). Basically Paypal allows a claim within 45 days of transaction, and then takes forever. Instead just file with a CC and it's alot less headache.

Other methods :

Money Order - oh my..... when you are receiving one - best thing to do is call the issuing bank and verify authenticity. If it's a USPS MO - go to USPS and have them cash it. If you are SENDING ONE - make sure you have no doubts. There's no recourse once they have cashed it short of going to the cops. It's one of the cases where a escrow through a rigger would be the only safe bet unless you know who you are dealing with.

DO NOT go against your gut feeling ! - IF something is too good (cheap) to be true - there's probably a good reason. (been there myself :). If for some reason you start thinking AFTER you send the MO - you do have a few days to cancel it - just do it fast.

Western Union - just like MO - buuuuuuuuuuut : You can retrieve the funds anywhere, and within seconds of them being sent. And the few locations I have been to don't really check your ID. I am sure if you send the funds to "John Smith" with a US address, someone in Nigeria can have a shitty fake ID and still pick up the funds. As far as I know there's no way to geographically restrict where the funds can be picked up. Please correct me if I am wrong.

And of course you can weed out ALOT of problems by getting the person on the phone. Especially making sure you ar the one calling THEM. I'd say good 90% of scammers will shut up as soon as you ask them for a ph # - they will make various excuses, but never talk to ya live.

Seems like maybe a FAQ writing is in order ... :)

WARNING !

Item is up for sale again on eBay. You might want to flag it !

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sabre2-190-Reflex-Parachute-Skydiving-Rig_W0QQitemZ120106052766QQihZ002QQcategoryZ106980QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by slotperfect to make the link clicky. :)
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

I bet he's bidding on it himself since all the bids are from private listings. This item will probably go back for sale since the bidding has now ended. I flagged it anyway.

private listing - bidders' identities protected US $2,176.00 Apr-08-07 16:27:32 PDT

private listing - bidders' identities protected US $2,151.00 Apr-08-07 16:26:28 PDT

private listing - bidders' identities protected US $2,101.00 Apr-08-07 16:24:27 PDT

And more.....
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Actually eBay implemented a new thing that on all objects over $200 the ID's are hidden to try to fight fraudlent "Second Chance" offers and things. The "Private Bidder" appears on all expensive objects now.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com