ladyskydiver

Take the class?

So, I'm going to have an "easy" spring semester with only 13 credits. I'm debating on taking a scuba class (1 credit) and it won't add anything to the tuition bill. So...should I? Think the class would be any good?
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Yes, there is an "additional fee" notation next to the class schedule. I'm guessing it'll be the fees to rent air tanks. They do not have it listed what the actual fee amount is.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Yes, there is an "additional fee" notation next to the class schedule. I'm guessing it'll be the fees to rent air tanks. They do not have it listed what the actual fee amount is.

Hrrm...the fee's could be a bit more then just rental. Find out, and if they are reasonable I say do it! :)
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

So, I'm going to have an "easy" spring semester with only 13 credits. I'm debating on taking a scuba class (1 credit) and it won't add anything to the tuition bill. So...should I? Think the class would be any good?

Yes! If it's effectively free, definitely take advantage, especially if it's a class that leads towards a certification (PADI or NAUI or one other that I can't think of are the main certification bodies).

It'll be an especially good deal if you can borrow all of the stuff that commercial classes will make you buy or rent (most include wet suit, tanks, and BCD but will make you buy or rent mask, snorkel, fins, booties/gloves depending on the weather). My class was about $150 plus all the gear I had to buy, just to give you a comparison point.

Scuba's fun and I think you'll find it'll use a very different part of your brain than your regular classes.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

definitely - i'm sure you can get certified this way also :) how great is that, you can get credit for scuba - go for it...

i wish i was able to take classes like that (they having similar stuff at my school) but because im in a hurry to get out i don't have the time for those options - have a ball :)
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

I say take the class, it's always good to have new skills. Besides, you just never know when a guy is going to want to whisk you away to an island somewhere to go scuba diving with him. A girl has to be prepared! ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Do it! Just be sure you are comfortable with the time commitment and costs.

You will probably have to buy mask, fins and snorkel. The class probably only includes the classroom and pool sessions, but you will also need to do some open water dives, which you'll have to pay for.

SCUBA's a lot of fun!

My concern - I'll end up loving it.

That would never happen...:D I spent the whole season packing to make money for my scuba trips. It's way fun. Taking the class through a college (like i did) generally saves you about $50ish. But to actually get your certification you will have to go to open water with your local dive instructor. I did the classroom/pool stuff last fall and completed my open water dives in the spring.

I believe the textbook which comes with a dive table, logbook is around $50. You'll want your own mask, snorkel, fins which you can pick up from $100 for the low end stuff (thats what i got and am happy with mine). Or you can use the rental masks (think other people's snot) and fins.

If you don't wanna buy stuff yet, you are more than welcome to borrow mine. I won't be needing mine til the spring. My fins and booties are a ladies size 6, and a beutiful purple. And my mask/snorkel is bright pink (big surprise there). Let me know if you want and i'll ship my stuff up to you.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Cool! Thanks for the info, hon!

And, yeah...I'd buy my own snorkle, etc.

Oh, hell...you only live once, right? Class sign up is on Friday....guess which one's getting added to my schedule? :)

Come visit me Cora, I've been a SCUBA instructor for near 20 years I'll teach you for nothing all the way to Diver master, with all the gear (I have 3 sets of everything)
That's a bargin, just pop in on the weekend and we can start.:)

:D:D:D

Hey where's that final copy you were going to send me?:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I say take the class, it's always good to have new skills. Besides, you just never know when a guy is going to want to whisk you away to an island somewhere to go scuba diving with him. A girl has to be prepared! ;)

What she said, 'cause, ya know, that happens like, all the time... ;)

Seriously, what she said. SCUBA is fun.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

:D One problem with that....it'd cost a heck of a lot more to fly to Australia than take the class up here. :D

As for final copy...just finished it. Check PM's. :)

What she said, 'cause, ya know, that happens like, all the time... ;)

Seriously, what she said. SCUBA is fun.

Hey, Max...it could happen. Probably not in my lifetime, but heh! :P:D

Ok...next question...where to buy good scuba gear for the class? :)

Ok...next question...where to buy good scuba gear for the class? :)

Come by on the weekend you can use all my gear NO CHARGE;):ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Take the class but stop calling it a class. It'll be too much fun to call it a class. Think of it as a diversion from all your other classes. Seems to me that skydivers with class usually have an alternative activity to skydiving. One is rock climbing, the other is SCUBA diving. you should definately take up the latter, if only to thrill the world of the sight of you in a tight fitting, curve hugging wetsuit. B|
Gerb

I stir feelings in others they themselves don't understand. KA'CHOW !

Hey...if they had a rock climbing wall at school, I'd be all over it as well. :)

bwahahahaha - so you're hoping that I actually post a pic of me in a wetsuit? bwahahahahahaha

heck ya!!! For adding nothing to the tuition??? It's a no brainer!!!

CReW Skies,
bubbles
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM