slotperfect

UPT (Formerly RWS) PSB - Tandem Loop Style Reserve R/C

Link to service bulletin:

http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/PDF/Support/Product%20Service%20Bulletins/PSB300107.pdf

"Service Bulletin:
Uninsured United Parachute Technologies, LLC requires that all tandem loop style reserve ripcords with black shrink wrap on the swage are inspected (instructions attached) for any broken filaments. If found, ripcord needs to be replaced immediately.
Since October 2004, clear shrink wrap is used to visibly inspect the filaments."
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I am somewhat unclear on the language. What are the attached instructions?

Are the attached instructions?:

If you have black heat shrink...

Remove black heat shrink wrap; Inspect; replace if frayed cables are discovered?

thats how I'm reading it.
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

The instructions don't say what to do if the ripcord is OK, such as apply clear heat shrink tubing or just leave it off. I would hope that black shrink tubing isn't used, because then it would need to be inspected again.

I don't understand how a service bulletin could be issued that neglects to address this.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The Bulletin has been corrected to include adding clear shrink wrap if ripcord is not damaged =>

OK but someone knows if the clear shrink wrap goes inside the hole of the washer ? since the shrink wrap diameter is only 1/4 ", I guess that even by squeezing the clear shrink wrap, it cannot go above a 1/2 inch washer !!! does someone already tried or know the answer ?

Has anyone found a good heat shrink tubing that works for this? Are you using a 3-1 or a 4-1?

After asking UPT, they said that the 1/4 inch clear shrink wrap goes over the the 1/2 inch washer ( by putting the washer flat and squeezing the shrink wrap). to answer your question I found a very good clear shrink wrap, I use a 4-1 it comes in 12 mm = 1/2 inch or a 8 mm = 0.31 inch but the seller is located .........in France

Has anyone found a good heat shrink tubing that works for this? Are you using a 3-1 or a 4-1?

After asking UPT, they said that the 1/4 inch clear shrink wrap goes over the the 1/2 inch washer ( by putting the washer flat and squeezing the shrink wrap). to answer your question I found a very good clear shrink wrap, I use a 4-1 it comes in 12 mm = 1/2 inch or a 8 mm = 0.31 inch but the seller is located .........in France

Pardon my french, Merci beaucoup!

--
Hook high, flare on time

It's a little disappointing to see the way United Wonderhog Technologies (or whatever their name) wrote their bulletin.

First the nitpicking: Page 1 says #300107. Page 2 says #301007. Both pages say "Quality Assurance Department."...

The bulletin does not note that it is changed in any way. The number is the same, the date is the same... but the content is different (adding the clear heat shrink). I've already complied with the first version of the bulletin, but now my work doesn't match what I wrote down as having been complied with.

Finally, they continue to make the whole bulletin mandatory before the next jump. So one can't jump the rig unless one has gone out, searched around, and found the right type of heat shrink.

Sigh.

[Edited to add: I don't want to be harsh on them, but any sloppiness in writing a service bulletin has a significant effect, especially on any rigger trying to do things by the book, as the FAA expects.]