cocheese

Worried about the shuttle

I would like to believe that the Commander is a capable pilot and will be able to handle a bit of weather. I know that White Sands doesn't have the equipment to make for a fast turn around but I believe it has more outs then the rest of the landing sites.

I am not trying to be a pessimist, and I am sure that the mission will end succesfully, but even the ones that didn't, their crew died as heroes, doing something extraordinary.

Anyway, I'll be lurking around NASA to see the touchdown later on, good luck crew:)

(don't flame me, I am not trying to be an ass, I am expressing the outmost regard for the crew)
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

Worry not!! The shuttle has about 100 back-up landing sites all around the world. The space mission has been going well and the coverage I've been seeing on CNN seems to be quite good. No alarms anywhere.

Regardless, these men and women who are fortunate enough to earn their space wings know all the risks, and would bet the farm that they wouldn't change a thing! B|
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Worry not!! The shuttle has about 100 back-up landing sites all around the world. The space mission has been going well and the coverage I've been seeing on CNN seems to be quite good. No alarms anywhere.

Regardless, these men and women who are fortunate enough to earn their space wings know all the risks, and would bet the farm that they wouldn't change a thing! B|

Interesting article on the logistics involved in a non-Fla. landing.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts116/061220hale/

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I don't ever recall them cutting it this thin before. They must come down sometime Saturday at the latest as they'll be out of cryogenic oxygen and if that happens the fuel cells won’t produce electricity.

On the other hand, I'd imagine they could land (if they had to) at a lot of places besides the three primaries. (O'Hara approach STS-116 is downwind for RWY 24!!!!)

The real problem would be something happening that prevents them from de-orbiting right away.

NickD
BASE 194

On the other hand, I'd imagine they could land (if they had to) at a lot of places besides the three primaries. (O'Hara approach STS-116 is downwind for RWY 24!!!!)

Wonder if it's worth pulling a lawn chair on the "parking garage approach" to Lindberg :) ?!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

They've got these contingencies planned.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/shuttlemissions/sts116/news/landing.html

These are the possible landing ground tracks. It'd be kinda cool if they did Edward's at 204 - maybe I'd hear that double boom I haven't heard for so long. But it's currently overcast here in Fresno (we had a pretty decent rain last night), so I reckon Edwards ain't a whole lot better. White Sands may be the option.

My wife is hotter than your wife.