kallend

Youtube question

Almost every time I try to watch something on Youtube the feed hangs up before the end of the clip. Sometimes a reload works, but I have to start watching from the beginning. Sometimes I never get the entire thing before I give up in frustration.

I've had this happen on different PCs, and with different ISPs.

Any suggestions?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Almost every time I try to watch something on Youtube the feed hangs up before the end of the clip. Sometimes a reload works, but I have to start watching from the beginning. Sometimes I never get the entire thing before I give up in frustration.

Any suggestions?

How about posting your PC configuration and which browser you are using.

Walt

When I go to watch something on youtube is as soon as it starts playing i hit pause. Once the red line reaches the other side that means that it's completely loaded and then I play it.

Ditto for me. I've only run into that situation once or twice, but pausing and letting it load helped. I'm not a comp wiz, so I have no idea why it worked.

When I go to watch something on youtube is as soon as it starts playing i hit pause. Once the red line reaches the other side that means that it's completely loaded and then I play it.

Or... Simply download it and save (and play) locally -- if it's a nice video you'd like to keep...
--------------
We were not born to fly. And all we can do is to try not to fall...

Any suggestions?

How about posting your PC configuration and which browser you are using.

Walt

XP Pro SP2, happens with both IE7 and Firefox. Happens mostly at home on a DSL line, but has happened occasionally at work where we have a T-something feed.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Happens to me often. What I usually do is let it play in a separate window while I do something else, and come back to it in a bit. Eventually it does fully load and you can watch the entire video without interruption.

I'm not sure if the root of the problem is server-side or if it's my connection.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

I'm not sure if the root of the problem is server-side or if it's my connection.

Or hundreds of skydivers simultaneously trying to view a video and jamming the site! :P

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Any suggestions?

Do you have the same problem using MySpace?;)
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

From the youtube help page:

Why does the video keep stopping and starting while I'm watching it?
If a video doesn't play continuously, it may be due to your connection speed. You'll need a broadband connection with at least 500+Kbps for the best viewing experience. It's also possible that our servers are experiencing high traffic, which sometimes affects the speed. If this is the case, there's not much you can do, but we are continuously adding servers to keep up with demand. Thanks for hanging in there with us as we continue to grow.

Looks like it's a connection speed problem so the posters suggesting that you pause until the buffer is full have the right idea.

Walt

Might be some spyware or something running in the background. I had this problem before. I also had to update my Flash/Adobe player. Do some general comp maintenance if you can, and that usually helps. If not, it might just be busy.

Hasn't happened to me on youtube, but on other website that uses flash streaming.
Stream fully loaded, just would pause in the random spot and wouldn't move on. Refreshing window and loading the movie again fixed the problem. Seems to me like some flash bug there, but I'm interested to see the solution.

I THINK youtube uses flash to play the videos, so I'd try upgrading flash, which is free and is fairly fast.

also check your security settings in IE, that you don't have flash partially disabled or something. yeah its a long shot.

MB 3528, RB 1182

Pause the video. Wait until the dark red bar has proceeded completely to the right - the video is then cached on your local machine. Then press play. No jerky clips or randoms stops while the video buffers.

If that doesn't help, I have no real ideas - it's a Flash player embedded in your browser. Apart from proxy servers trying to be smart or basic bandwidth issues, there's not a whole hell of a lot that can go wrong. Unless there are bugs in the version of the Flash plugin you're using, which will be the same across both FF and IE. Try updating it to the latest version...