bazelos

Overweight woman trapps 22 tourists in a cave.

Stuck woman traps SA cave group

The tourists coped with the ordeal well.

An overweight woman who got stuck in a South African cave trapped 22 fellow tourists for more than 10 hours and had to be prised free with liquid paraffin.
The woman became trapped in the Tunnel of Love obstacle in the Cango Caves in Western Cape on New Year's Day.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/6225301.stm

The caves' manager said the woman had been warned she might not be suitable but she insisted on trying.

One of those trapped was a diabetic who had to be brought insulin. The woman and the other tourists were unhurt.

The rescue operation involved several ambulance teams and a helicopter.

Hein Gerstner, manager of Cango Caves, told the BBC it was an "expensive exercise" that could cost 40,000 rand ($5,700).

"We don't know yet who will foot the bill," he said.

The ordeal began when the woman became stuck just after noon on New Year's Day.

Mr Gerstner said the woman was "told at the ticket office that she was too big to take part in the specific section".

He said she was again warned by the guide but that it was "very difficult to discriminate".

Mr Gerstner said: "The obstacle has a narrow base. She lost her footing and went down in a splits position. There was no way she could get her body weight up."

But he said she was young and remained mentally strong throughout and the other tourists took the ordeal "exceptionally well".

The tourists, including two asthmatic children, were given blankets, water and chocolate bars as the rescue proceeded.

One rescuer was able to climb over the woman to deliver insulin to the diabetic.

No drilling equipment was needed and the woman was eventually freed with a pulley and paraffin used to grease the surface at about 2320.

She was taken to hospital but is not injured and is expected to be released on Tuesday.

Mr Gerstner said: "We believe what goes in, must come out again. People get stuck all the time - that's one of the unfortunate things that happen, it's part of the adventure."

However, he said the caves would consider more stringent measures for those entering.

Get in ma belly!!:D
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

Well.............at least they weren't going to starve to death. They could have eaten the fat bitch. :D

you really dont have ANY class what so ever do you Clay
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

you really dont have ANY class what so ever do you Clay

Only when it's warranted. ;):D

I doubt that very much, because it would most likely be an act, which in and of itself is classless
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Mr Gerstner said: "The obstacle has a narrow base. She lost her footing and went down in a splits position. There was no way she could get her body weight up."

1. Ouch, ow ow ow. That had to hurt :D

2. She didn't get stuck in a gap, she fell down and couldn't get up. An obstacle course wouldn't have helped if she hadn't lost her footing in it like she did in the cave.

3. WTF was she thinking anyway?
Owned by Remi #?

A more important question would be WTF were the people who allowed her in thinking? If they run the place, it's THEIR responsibility to determine who is appropriate and who is not. And then refuse those that are not.

Don't you know that telling a fat person that they are fat could get you a lawsuit?

A more important question would be WTF were the people who allowed her in thinking? If they run the place, it's THEIR responsibility to determine who is appropriate and who is not. And then refuse those that are not.

Don't you know that telling a fat person that they are fat could get you a lawsuit?

they did

she made a snit anyway (and likely threatened a lawsuit)

and she got stuck (and will likely sue anyway)

(it's very unlikely that either the woman, who is responsible for her very bad judgement in this case - not just her health choices - , not the facility, who is also responsible for their employee's poor choice, nor the employee himself, none of them will mea culpa for their contributions to putting these 22 people in danger)

(i have a hard time with the whole DRAMA of the thing - one "rescuer" was able to climb over her to deliver insulin to the diabetic - THEREFORE, isn't it likely that most of the people, especially the two asthmatic children could also have climbed over her to get out?)

I think it's a minor thing and the reporter used the presence of a couple asthmatic and a diabetic to make this sell....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

(i have a hard time with the whole DRAMA of the thing - one "rescuer" was able to climb over her to deliver insulin to the diabetic - THEREFORE, isn't it likely that most of the people, especially the two asthmatic children could also have climbed over her to get out?)

I don't think you understand the nature of the climb ... the climb was highly technical with very few gear placements and low levels of oxygen near the summit. A sherpa fell into one of the crevices and is still missing today. ;)
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I don't think you understand the nature of the climb ... the climb was highly technical with very few gear placements and low levels of oxygen near the summit. A sherpa fell into one of the crevices and is still missing today. ;)

:D:D:D:D:D

sorry....

:D:D:D:D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I don't think you understand the nature of the climb ... the climb was highly technical with very few gear placements and low levels of oxygen near the summit. A sherpa fell into one of the crevices and is still missing today.

Well, damn. I think that has to be the funniest thing I've ever read here.

:D:D:D
Owned by Remi #?

Yeah, just like the MANY tandems who are taken who should not be allowed because of size/shape/weight. But hey, at least the lady in the cave didn't die from their mistake.