SkydiveStMarys

What is your hometown famous for?

Mobile, Alabama: Home of original Mardi Gras (Yes, before New Orleans)

Calhan, Colorado: Highest non-mountain town in the US. 6509msl. (And a major femur breaking DZ for guys who are gonna show us how to swoop...LOL)

"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

The town I was raised in Copperas Cove Texas has given nothing to the world, but the Town I call my Hometown Huntsville Texas is were we take great pride in executing all of those “bad people” for killing, raping and anything the people of Harris county (Houston) do not like. Oh, some dude name Sam Houston also lived here. :)
Remember that expectant life span is an average, and most people are below average
--Garrison Keillor

Elgin, IL was known for it's watch/clock factory. An Elgin watch is even featured in the film Far and Away with Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman. The scene before the race for land features someone holding an Elgin pocket watch.

Where I live now, Carpentersville, is mentioned in the Smoking Pope's song "You Spoke To Me".

I drove all the way from Carpentersville
to see you here tonight and it was worth it.
You didn't play my favorite song but that's alright
I love the new stuff too
I'm just glad I got to see you.
B|

--"Someday you will die and somehow somethings going to steal your carbon" -MM

Home town Stamford in Lincolnshire, birthplace of Daniel Lambert.

Then lived in Grantham Lincs, birth place of some political chick and a scientist ( Margaret Thatcher and Sir Isaac Newton), and it was once voted the most boring place in the UK.

Now live in Swindon Wilts, birth place of a couple of minor celebs, one who is a MAJOR MILF and the other Dr Who's last assistant and some bridge building bloke. ( Mellinda Messenger, Billy Piper and Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Long Beach Ca.

Home of:
Snoop Dog
Sublime
Skunk Records
The Queen Mary
Joe Jost's
The smallest liquor store on the planet (located on the northwest corner of Lakewood and Sterns)
The only city in the country which surrounds a whole other city (Signal Hill)

Side note: Long Beach Poly has more football players in the NFL than any other high school in the country
love what you do and who you do

orange county is a county, not an individual location...

I know this, but if considering something a hometown for me, i would have to use the county... since we have cities, rather than towns. hmm, I guess i have lived in Anaheim more than any other, but i have also lived in Garbage errr garden grove, be.. buena park, and some others when i was younger.

I know how it is man... I've lived in Mission Viejo, Garden Grove, Cypress, Huntington Beach, and Westminster to name a few in that county... the list goes on with 4 other states...

I was born in Westminster, CA, but I claim La Crosse, WI because I'm now embarrassed to claim California. (I wasn't until the past few years)
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Long Beach Ca.

Home of:
Snoop Dog

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

??? I thought he was from Queens or something in the NYC area?

"With so much drama in the LBC it's kinda hard being Snoop D-O doubel G"
love what you do and who you do

My childhood home of Edison, NJ was named after Thomas Edison, whose lab was in nearby Menlo Park. He was called "The Wizard of Menlo Park".

I lived in NJ until I was 12, when we moved to rural Western NY - to a town named Friendship. I actually consider Friendship my "hometown" - I came of age, became "aware" in that area.

Now I didn't actually live in Friendship - I lived in a town called Wirt, but our mail was delivered by the Friendship post office. I went to school in town called Richburg. Richburg was named such because lots of rich people used to live there. Emphasis on "used to". After the oil fields played out, so did the money. But that's a whole other story.

The town was originally called Bloody Corners. An interesting name to say the least, with an interesting story behind it.

In the center of town was a place where four roads came together, or a "four-corners".
(People in the area don't call such an intersection a crossroads, but a "four corners" - If five roads came together, which is not uncommon in that area, it's called a five-corners, naturally.)

Roads in the area are often named for the town they lead to, such as the Cuba road or the Belmont road. Well, this four-corners joined the Cuba road and the Belvedere road.

Oil was first discovered in that area. As a matter of fact, you can, to this day, travel to a place called the Seneca Oil Spring, and see the very spot where oil was first discovered in North Amereica.

With oil drillin' came money - and roughnecks -and the roughnecks liked to drink.

At the four-corners, there was a tavern on each corner. It wasn't uncommon to find a dead body there in the morning, hence the name Bloody Corners. (This is a story about Friendship-)

Later on, the town "merged" with another town called Dog Patch, named such because of it's large dog popualtion. If memeory serves me, Dog Patch was some where along the Friendship-Dog Patch road, which also went to Belvedere.

Years later the town fathers where trying to figure out how to attract more people to the lovely town of Bloody Corners - And they decided to re-name the town Friendship, in a effort to rid it of it's unsavory reputation. It kinda worked. Until the oil fields played out and the foundry shut down.

Now this story, as colorful as it is, no doubt has been embellished and mutated somewhat over the years, so the basis on actual fact is dubious at best. But it does make for an entertaining story. Not unlike the story of how I got the screen name I use.

I assume no responsibility for the factual basis of either story.

Easy Does It