SuperGirl

help with charcoal on walls

any idea how to remove big big charcoal stains off the walls of a college dorm room?
a bunch of us got drunk and felt a sudden rush of artistic talent which resulted in various charcoal wall drawings of anything ranging from abstract figures to sheep flying under open canopies.
no idea how to properly get rid of it, though, except for repainting the entire walls (basic detergent didn't work so well)
[:/]

any idea how to remove big big charcoal stains off the walls of a college dorm room?
a bunch of us got drunk and felt a sudden rush of artistic talent which resulted in various charcoal wall drawings of anything ranging from abstract figures to sheep flying under open canopies.
no idea how to properly get rid of it, though, except for repainting the entire walls (basic detergent didn't work so well)

Re-paint?
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Try one of those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. They take off pretty much everything. Be careful, though. They might take the paint off too.
'Shell

O.K., see, I find those really funny.

As for the cleaning, I haven't any tips. I would suggest, however, that next time you go draw on an outside wall. That way, everyone can see it, and it's someone else's job to get the charcoal out (just don't get caught!!).

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I wish I could draw that well. I figured you meant there were a few stick figures or whatever. ;) I think you're only option is to paint the whole room.

I don't think paint will cover up the charcoal. Unless they scrub MOST of it off and then, it still might not cover it completely.
'Shell

I wish I could draw that well. I figured you meant there were a few stick figures or whatever. ;) I think you're only option is to paint the whole room.

I don't think paint will cover up the charcoal. Unless they scrub MOST of it off and then, it still might not cover it completely.

TSP (to clean what they can), Kilz undercoat (no question, needed for sure), then the color that will match the rest of the dorm. Should be fun! :P

Love the artwork, though. I think you should keep the pictures and put them in your portfolio! B|

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

TSP (to clean what they can), Kilz undercoat (no question, needed for sure), then the color that will match the rest of the dorm. Should be fun! :P

Love the artwork, though. I think you should keep the pictures and put them in your portfolio! B|

ltdiver

Never thought of the Kilz. You're right, that should do it.

As far as painting it to match the REST of the dorm, from the pictures, I think they've managed to require a repaint on EVERY surface!

:D:D

Keep the pictures, print them, frame them and hang them on your newly painted walls!
'Shell

As far as painting it to match the REST of the dorm, from the pictures, I think they've managed to require a repaint on EVERY surface!

By 'the rest of the dorm' I meant the -other- dorm rooms. The hallway. The kitchette...etc. Yes, all of -her- room walls will have to be painted, whether they have artwork on them or not. Fresh paint looks awful next to old paint. All walls, and the ceiling, will need to be covered with fresh Kilz and paint. Just remember to open the doors and windows, or we'll have more (new) artwork to view here when they become intoxicated in another way! :P

ltdiver

looks like it's gonna be quite an adventure...

perhaps I should just paint the whole room black and pretend it's always been like that. ;)

but hey, thanks for all the suggestions, keep 'em coming

a good eraser does seem to produce decent results (at least to get it in an adequate condition for a repaint) but it takes like half an hour to erase a few inches... so if I start working on it now, maybe I'll be done by the end of the semester. :)

By 'the rest of the dorm' I meant the -other- dorm rooms. The hallway. The kitchette...etc. Yes, all of -her- room walls will have to be painted, whether they have artwork on them or not. Fresh paint looks awful next to old paint. All walls, and the ceiling, will need to be covered with fresh Kilz and paint. Just remember to open the doors and windows, or we'll have more (new) artwork to view here when they become intoxicated in another way! :P

ltdiver

Ah, we're thinking "different" style dorm rooms. The one I think they live in is your traditional, run of the mill, one room "bedroom". No kitchen, no hallway, bathrooms shared with a bunch of other people you didn't know until you arrived at school.

For that type, I wouldn't bother repainting all the hallways. ;)

But you're very right about opening a window. That primer STINKS!!!

And I wouldn't want to see the art projects generated by THAT! :S

:D:D
'Shell

Ah, we're thinking "different" style dorm rooms. The one I think they live in is your traditional, run of the mill, one room "bedroom". No kitchen, no hallway, bathrooms shared with a bunch of other people you didn't know until you arrived at school.

No, I think I'm just a bad typist. You and I are thinking alike. (note: I lived in these single room dorm rooms for 6 years while I went to school :S).

By matching the other rooms and hallway, I was -meaning- outside her little dorm room. A school has a particular color they demand for their facilities. Usually Ivory in color. I'd have her go to the dean and make sure she gets an exact match. They might even supply her with the paint, if they know she'll do the work. :)
ltdiver

I never lived in the dorms at my current school, but my sister did. At her dorm at least, they would let you paint your room whatever color you want. If I'm remembering correctly, your color (or art) became the next person's problem after you moved out! They got to repaint it whatever they wanted. They actually let you do group painting/arkwork outside in the halls.
~skysprite