Helmet Help......

IMO

Opening visors
Mamba
Oxygn A3
Z-1

Closed Visors
Factory Diver

Deals? Thats a tough one, your gonna have to surf and make a phone call or two, but I got an A3 a while ago for a low price (~200) that was brand new.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

The only full face helmet I've jumped is a Z1 and i love it. I've got about 200 on it and I can't complain. It's never come open on me in freefall plus it's easy to open the mask up if you're fogging up when it's really cold out.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

If you have a real big melon, the Mamba is the way to go. The others were too tight for me. I once forgot to close the face shield before taking front float on the King Air. Had no damage and just bumped it closed. The visor plastic is also replaceable with a piece of lexan you can get from any plastic supply house.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I like jumping with an open face helmet as well now that I'm trying to learn camera. However it's cold in Kansas and that full face helps (for me anyway) keep me warmer than an open face.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

Hey Dave,
It's gotta be cold in Ohio in the winter-do you just tough it out on winter days?
I am getting ready to try a Freezer and I will post my results after jumping it a few times- it is getting dow to 0 degrees F at 12,500 around here, from now until end of March:(

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

If you wwant to worry about maybe getting kicked in the face, you could also worry about not being able to get CPR without your helmet being removed.

For competitive skydivers, getting kicked in the face is more common than getting CPR. Getting kicked in the face while wearing a full-face may be the difference between needing CPR or not. I've been hit hard enough to see stars.

I'll stick with the fullface, thanks.

Okay.....i would like to start off by saying that I DID do a search, i looked and read the fisrt 10, and now im lazy!!

two questions.....
Q1. whats the better full face, as for function and design??
Q2. who has the best deal??

I think I am the minority but I like the Oxygn - I think it has better visibility than the Z1. I would not get any full face too early on - they all restrict vision...

rm

whats the better full face

The one that fits - i'm not being flippant, i wanted a Z1 originally but i just couldn't get one that was comfortable, whether my nose was touching the visor or whatever. I ended up with an oxygn, but for what its worth my next one will be a mamba, it fits me and i think its currently the best design.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

the visor or whatever. I ended up with an oxygn, but for what its worth my next one will be a mamba, it fits me and i think its currently the best design.

the Freezer is alo a good option for large heads
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

For competitive skydivers

This guy has 8 jumps. I'm not sure that competition standards apply. I'm prety sure that if he does end up doing competitive RW, he'll have gone through a helmet or two by then.

Furthermore, I only brought up the possibility of CPR when another poster brought up the possiblity of getting kicked in the face.

Either one of those things MAY happen, but an full face will absolutely restrict your periferal vision, and cost about 1/3 more than an open face.

I've just had my Mamba XXL arrive! Tried the Z1 but found my chin kept hitting on the front bit (all their helmets are the same shell, just different padding). Haven't got to jump my mamba yet, but it seems to fit well. I quite like their closure method which you need to adjust so that when you clip in the chin strap, it tightens the soft skirt around your neck at the same time. It feels really secure. The visor opening is easy once you've got the hang of it (needs 2 hands) and there's no way it'll come undone in freefall. Peripheral vision doesn't seem to be restricted either. I can't wait to try it out... :)
Skydiving is more than a sport and more than a job: skydiving is pure passion and desire which will fill a lifetime.

I've not seen the All-Sport, but I have a Bonehead Guner. I've got a pretty big head (7 5/8 - 7 3/4 long oval)(24.75") and the XXL Guner fits as well as I could expect - a little bit of pressure at the front of the head, but that's more due to the more oval shape of my melon, and the fact that I haven't baked it.

If you can, try on the different helmets and see what fits you best.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706