denisfrog

Main tray padding due to main downsizing

Can any rigger advise on the procedure ?
----------------------------------------------
My Wings container was built for a 210 main. I downsized to 190 a while ago, and I have now bought a 170.

Sunrise is saying that I will need to put some padding in the main tray otherwise it would be too loose in there, which is true.

The rigger I contacted seemed to think it would be a hell of a job and told me to sell my rig ???!!!

If anybody could provide some guidance, it would be very much appreciated.

Blue skies,

D

Try and think about the right tool for the right job.

I understand that a custom rig built for you in your colours is not something you can let go of easily. Its your pride and joy.

It is possible to make some kind of cushion that is fixed inside your main tray that will fill some of the space. Think about the fact however that the D-bag is designed to fit entirely within the main tray. There is a reason for this. Consider a bag moving around in the main tray moving the stows and the free line due to it being a loose fit. The potential problems are not nice.

At the end of the day you are far better to use the right tool for the right job which in your case would mean parting with this container and getting a new one.

Think of it as being given the oportunity to get a new rig with this seasons colors etc

good luck in either case
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

I bought this rig all brand new (container/main/reserve/cypress) in March this year, so selling it is not really a good deal for me!

Flow: you suggest sewing the padding into the d-bag?

Anybody got anything to say about that idea ?

Thank you all for replies. Denis

Denis,

You have a couple of options:

1. Contact one of the Master Riggers on here and ask them how much they would charge to install a "Pillow" against the backpad of your main pack tray. It's been done hundreds of times over the years and work well.

2. Start with Sunrise and talking to Ankie. Their specialty is odd sized main pack trays for inordinately sized reserves and may be able to completely re-do your main pack tray or add the pillow.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

First, this is why many of us recommend buying used gear to start with. Two, this is pretty agressive ( in number of jumps) down sizing. Sure, you can fly and land the current canopy. But can you do it in all manner of conditions and landing areas?

As to a pillow. I haven't done it in years but we used to do it in the 80's and it can still be done. What we usually did is cover a piece of foam in nylon. Then sew this to the bottom, back pad side, of the container. We usued to just tack it in but that leaves possible snag points and I wouldn't do it know.

I'd be hesitant to do it now anyway. Really ought to have something sized right. You would need a smaller d bag also. And it probably won't fill the container from side to side or top to bottom. It might be hard to get the loop tight enough and it may look stupid. But your best bet is to talk to an older rigger. They're more likely to be willing to do something like this.

And I wouldn't put padding on the d bag. Then would have this pillow following you around.;)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Get some Dacron lines! :D

I'm only halfway serious... I just got a new container with a 132 and don't want to downsize again anytime soon, but I want Dacron lines, and it's a tight fit currently. So in the future I will downsize to 120 and add the new lines.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Thank you all for your comments.

I have decided to sell, and it's advertised on here, pretty good deal really. I decided against modifying the container as it seems to much hassle + maybe harder to sell rig in future.

Originally, I bought from new coz I had the money at the time and just wanted it all then ! Lesson learnt!

Blue skies every1 !