jtval

SUSHI

I hated sushi. Then I figured out that I simply hate the taste of seaweed.

Once I started getting sushi wrapped in soy paper, I found I really enjoyed it. Dragon rolls filled with soft-shell crab are my favorite!

I am going to try the avacdo wrap today. along with soem other stuff.
My photos

My Videos

UK is taking a while to catch up with sushi, but we just got a very fine restaurant in Norwich. The best things I've tasted are soy-basted grilled eel and english sea bass. Sure, the usual stuff is good, and I made sone great mackrel sushi, but these things are sublime.

As for salmon eggs, well, good texture and experience, but average taste.

More and more I'm making my own. Its surprisingly easy, and trick is getting fresh good quality ingredients. Most fish are sublime raw...but not all!

trick is getting fresh good quality ingredients.

You are not kidding.. Plaything and I have found soem reliable sources of sushi grade fish here in the San Francisco area.. but in Orlando, we still have to go to a restaurant if we want sushi..

Actually, we tend to eat more sashimi than sushi..

Sashimi is just the fish, sliced into app. 1" x 2" x 1/4" pieces.. Serve with rice, wasabi, soy sauce and pickled ginger.. Yummmmy! B|
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

My husband's in Vancouver BC right now. That's the center of the western hemisphere as far as sushi is concerned.

We always love ama ebi. Usually that's just raw prawn on rice with the deep fried head (antenna and eyes and all) next to it.

But last night he had LIVE ama ebi. The chef pulled a live prawn from the tank, pulled the tail off, and served the still-wriggling head alongside it. The eyes were still moving and when he poked it, the prawn tried to eat his chopstick.

Then after he ate the tail, the chef took the head back and deep fried it.

He says this was the best sushi he has ever eaten!

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Ok. now that im in a big city, and iv heard all this talk of sushi. I must try it.
Are most places ok?
Theres a very nice looking place near here, the name of the resturant is both in english and an asian language.
hmmm..... maybe ill give it a go.

any advice for something to try first?
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

well lets hook it up girly!
I know the tuesday night Sushi fest is at RuSans right, the SAKE BOMB place.
I dont know the others. yet.
damn I got lots to do! B|
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

If it's your first time I'd start with salmon and work your way from there. Personally I don't like white fish, but I've kind of found my nitch with Salmon, crab, and tuna for nigiri sushi. For rolls (maki sushi) any of those 3 plus eel. I try other things also but those are the old stand-bys. ;)

Oh and take it very easy on the wasabi, do not beleive your friends when they say you need a lot. :P
Fly it like you stole it!

I've sampled quite a bit so far and honestly? Meh, it's ok. Personally, just ok, and not usually worth the price. Pretty bland stuff, or moderatly tasty stuff with heat built in. I love good tasting food, and so far sushi just doesn't cut it. I'm willing to keep trying though, I guess.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Downside of mountain living -
Take your normal sushi bill and double it. B| Anywho, Sushi in 30. B|

Started a group a few years ago and we were up to a sizable group when we'd go out for sushi. Trying to reorganize it and meeting with the other founders this weekend. Our last sushi bill for the group was a couple $ grand.
------
Michael

I'm in Baton Rouge this week - I have NO idea where to get sushi, but I'm craving it now. [:/]Thanks. ;)

I love most all of it, but can't get past the chewy oowie of octopus, and the quail egg scares me. I love rolls, but don't care too much for the smoked salmon ones or crunchy ones - too sweet!! Give me the raw, simple goodies!

OK, in case no one got the hint, any one know where I should go in BR for sushi??!!! HELP!!!!!

UK is taking a while to catch up with sushi, but we just got a very fine restaurant in Norwich. The best things I've tasted are soy-basted grilled eel

I just tried the eel for the first time that I remember. It's good. I was going to try the avacado wrapped roll but there were none left by the time I got there.

MMM, It's good stuff.

I never tried the cream cheese rool don't really think I care to, simply b/c it doesnt' look like theres much Fish IN it.
My photos

My Videos

Seafood is the only "meat" that I eat. People think I'm weird since I will eat raw fish, but no chicken or burgers, but it is so freakin addicting!!!

Try a caterpillar roll- I am not sure what fish is inside, but it has avocado inside then BBQ eel on top. (Yes, I used to think that sounded so sick, but it is freakin awesome!)

Also, if you like just the pieces of fish on rice, go Toro (fatty tuna) all the way. It melts in your mouth! Ohhh, I am so hungry now!
Blue skies and SAFE landings!
~Amanda~

I'm in Baton Rouge this week - I have NO idea where to get sushi, but I'm craving it now. [:/]Thanks. ;)

This should help...Haven't been to any of these so I can't be of much help beyond this...

HELLO SUSHI
( 225 ) 768 - 8808
3930 BURBANK DR,BATON ROUGE,LA,70808

KAMADO'S
( 225 ) 291 - 3503
4215 S SHERWOOD FOREST BLVD,BATON ROUGE,LA,70816

KAMADO'S JAPANESE GRILL & SUSHI BAR
( 225 ) 928 - 3888
4612 BENNINGTON AVE,BATON ROUGE,LA,70808
------
Michael

I eat sushi at least 3 times a week if not more. I pretty much lived on it every day once I got back from Afghanistan minus breakfast. oh yeah, hey JT this pics for you:D
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING