kpipes22

Response to "line over"

I was questioned by several experienced jumpers on why I didnt cut the line..

In addition to the problem of identifying the correct line, I'd be concerned about whether the line might have burned a tear in my top-skin that I can't see ... and it's sloooowly lengthening a bit at a time .... until the tear gets long enough that the canopy goes to shit. If the tear goes sproing at a safe cutaway altitude, great. Too low to cut away ...ugh.

I was questioned by several experienced jumpers on why I didnt cut the line.... I really didnt even think about it and now Im glad I didnt.

That kind of shit pisses me off.

If anyone questions how you dealt with a malfunction just remind them that you were the one under the parachute saving your own ass.

It's one thing to talk through other possible ways of addressing something, but to question a decision to cutaway a lineover at your decision altitude ... not cool.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Just had a line over this past weekend on Sunday, so i spose the experience pertains to the convo.

It was the most baby line over you could ever imagine. I thought i had tension knots cuz something looked funky on up towards my brake lines on the left side, i couldnt tell wtf was wrong, i just knew i pitched lowish, far from the LZ, over grape vines, and was spinning at an ever increasing rate. Welcome to my first chop :)
reviewed the footage with my rigger, and we discovered a little line over, pinching the left side of my canopy about halfway back on the outside cell. Took me 3 views of the video to figure it out.

Moral- f*cking hard to identify that sh*t when it's going to hell fast, i didnt even know i HAD a line over @ first. I didn't even unstow my brakes, pumped the risers twice and was gone. chop @ 2.3, full reserve @ 1.9 safire2 loaded @ 1.6

So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

I agree with you that a jumper is the grand master in decision making when having a canopy problem. But what makes you taking a good decision is knowledge and this is the purpose of this forum.;)

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

" ... "in line over situation, leave brake lines stowed, and pull down vigorously on rear risers" [although not stated, assume release rear risers quickly, too?].

Is this, as stated above, current-thinking? ... "

....................................................................................................

Strong Enterprise teaches a variation on that technique to clear tension knots on tandem mains. They teach to pull toggles into a deep stall, then let up rapidly. The canopy dives forward, lines go slack and tension knots usually fall out.
That technique has saved me a dozen reserve rides.
Strong teaches to use toggles because they are easier to pull than tandem rear risers.
IOW I can only do rear riser stalls when I have a 100 pound student strapped to my chest. Forget about rear riser maneuvers with a 200 pound student!
Solo jumpers are quicker pulling rear risers.

Real dumb question.
What causes a line over?
Is it a bad pack job or just bad luck?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

>Is it a bad pack job or just bad luck?

It can be bad luck (parachute openings are chaotic events) but most often it is due to packing error. The most common error is to lose control of the lines while wrapping the tail around the nose. If you lose control of the lines and pull a lot of the tail around (i.e. you pull a lot and then wrap, wrap, wrap) you can pull some C/D/brake lines in front of the nose. This sets you up for a lineover.

>Is it a bad pack job or just bad luck?

It can be bad luck (parachute openings are chaotic events) but most often it is due to packing error. The most common error is to lose control of the lines while wrapping the tail around the nose. If you lose control of the lines and pull a lot of the tail around (i.e. you pull a lot and then wrap, wrap, wrap) you can pull some C/D/brake lines in front of the nose. This sets you up for a lineover.

At my DZ we use rubber band to stow upper brake lines together. Rubber band is stitched on slider or just looped around inner attachment point of brake line to tail of the canopy. I jump at this DZ for the last 3 years and we did not have a single lineover since.
Still I don`t see many people using this "trick"...
dudeist skydiver #42

At my DZ we use rubber band to stow upper brake lines together. Rubber band is stitched on slider or just looped around inner attachment point of brake line to tail of the canopy. I jump at this DZ for the last 3 years and we did not have a single lineover since.
Still I don`t see many people using this "trick"...

We don't use it. I heard about a line over last time 2 years ago and it was a guest jumper.

Now another very dumb question, which line is pulled over?
Is it usually the same lines or different ones depending on the malfunction.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Plus now you're flying a canopy with cut line or two. I've had very hard landings from just one broken line. I prefer to use my reserve instead of playing parachute surgeon at 2000'.:S

+1

I prefer to have to go look for my main and freebag than someone come looking for me

I've had very hard landings from just one broken line.

It depeds which line is broken. Line are not equal....

Yes, I've also had stand up landings in the peas with broken lines. Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. I've served my time on crutches.;):D