Chris-Ottawa

Sunpath Customer service?

Hey Guys and Gals,

Anyone know a way I can get ahold of Sunpath? Obviously email doesn't seem to work and I am never around during the day to call. Although I may be able to call if I can make it home a it early. I've sent 2 emails and never received a responce or bounced message.

Does anyone from there post on here? I have an incredibly simple question, but only they can answer it.

I basically need to know what size of pilot chute would have came with my rig, and how long the bridle should be on an OJK sized container.

Please help!

Edit to include "and gals".
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Just wanted to update the post.

I called today and spoke to Dave, their rigger. He said I have 3 problems.

1 - Pilot chute is ZP (which is not what Sunpath uses)
2 - Pilot Chute is 2" too small
3 - (This is the kicker) The bridle is 3 FEET too short, WTF??

So yeah, I'll be ordering a new PC every soon. In the meantime, going jumping Saturday, he he.

Chris

Some will tell you that you should use whatever the mfg says and not to depart from that no matter what.

I would think that a PC a little smaller but ZP, would work just as well. Some other mfgs supply their rigs with ZP PCs. What is the advantage to a PC which will become more porous over time?

I'm not a rigger, no reason for you to trust my opinion.

If it were my rig, I would just correct the bridle length.

How old is the rig? Do you think it has already been replaced/not the original?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Mine is 68" or 5'8". It should be 103" or 8'7" give or take 3 inches. plus the fact that mine is 27" ZP, and it should be 28" F111.

I'm talking to my rigger to check things out. The main thing I'm concerned about is if I spend $225 (cdn) to get a new PC that's bigger and more powerful, is it going to mess up my openings. I mean, on my Spectre I've never had any problems at all. No slammers, no tension knots, no line twists etc... I'll be royally pissed if that changes.

Does anyone have an OJK that they can compare length or bridle and PC size/material? I think if I just lengthened my bridle it would be fine, just enought to get it farther from my burble.

I called and spoke directly to Dave, Sunpath's master rigger, and I wasn't sure if he was concerned about my safety or making a sale, but he was very adamant about me having a "Sunpath" PC. I'm a bit skeptical because no one local thought it was that big of a deal. I mean they were concerned, but I have put 30 jumps on the gear in this config.

To answer Sundevil's question, I bought the rig used, it was manu'd in 2003, it's an OJK. I bought it in it's current configuration as an entire kit. The PC is definitely "not" original. It's a Jim Cazer 27" ZP.

Suggestions?

How do you know the PC is not original? Mfgs don't make all components, PCs are time consuming to build, and Cazer PCs are top of the line.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I know it's not original because Sunpath does not sell or authorize the use of ZP PC's on their gear. By the sounds of what Dave said, they never plan to either.

I know Cazers are good as well, but maybe this one that was installed was slightly too short r something. I don't think 1" and a different material will make that much of a difference, but the bridle length....that could be an issue. If it was 6 inches, I'd be skeptical, but 3 FEET?

Honestly, is anyone's bridle actually 8 and a half feet? I've never seen one much longer than 6 - 6.5 feet. Unless it's for a Wingsuit rig.

Chris

Are you having a problem with your pilot chute, or are you just curious? Because I wouldn't have anticipated a problem with that kind of difference either.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

SunPath PC's and Dbags are different because unlike most manufactors Sunpath sews their bridles to the D bag. Most the industry uses metal links to keep the bridle inside the dbag.

That short of a PC is dangerous in that it might not escape your burble in the case of a weak toss. In addition it will trail in your burble on slow speed exits like you are already experiencing.

I've got a Jumpshack 28" ZP PC on a 10 foot Birdman bridle attacked to my J2 bag. Total cost was about $150. Every 500 jumps F111 Pilot chutes should be examined for porosity and potentially replaced. My F111 made it to about 700 jumps before it started trailing for a second on my terminal jumps from being worn out. Mini risers should also be replaced every 5-700 jumps as they show wear. All this is part of normal gear maintence costs.

Replacing just the bridle could be easy if you do not have a collapsible pilot chute. If it is collapsible then there will need to be additional sewing and possibly needing to open the PC up to reach some of the areas to sew depending on the mesh, etc on the existing PC.

Best thing to do is talk to a rigging about what your repair options are.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Hi Wendy,

I am actually having issues. On sub-terminal jumps, I am towing my PC for up to 6 seconds. Everyone thought It was just my mind playing tricks until I got video of it. The PC launches, pulls the pin, causes the bag to shift, then it sits there with the D-Bag half way out. I have no issue on terminal jumps, but I'm scared that if it's on the verge of towing, and I pack a bit big, a PCIT is not something I want come time to deploy.

The PC is on with a metal O ring type clamp so it is not original, I know that 100%. My local rigger and DZ friends confirmed it, as well as Sunpath.

In response to Phreezone, my PC is collapsible so I know extending it may be difficult. Maybe Ill look in the classifieds for something new. I'm about 98% sure that extending my bridle about a foot and a half or so should do the trick. I may just end up buying the same PC, with a longer bridle, or maybe I can buy one direct from Jim Cazer. I don't know. I'll be talking to my rigger saturday.

Thanks

Chris

Edit: To change how my wording sounded, seemed a bit rude.

Maybe you have a pilotchute that WAS a pullout style bridle and someone slapped a pin on it and called it good. Anyway, how long is the bridle from the pc end of the bridle to the pin? Then how long from the pin to the bag? A new bridle and kill line would do the trick if you are near a competent rigging shop, just have them cut off the old bridle and kill line and make new to your or " standard" spec's.

Thanks!

This is really good to know. If it's not easy to extend mine, I'm just gonna buy a new Cazer for half of what Sunpath wants. I have nothing against Sunpath, but charging nearly double for an almost identical product that has proved fully functional....

Thank for the help guys and gals!

I have a shop and order items from Sunpath 3-4 times a season. No problem whatsoever. Customer service is good. I have the same good experience with UPT and the others. My guess is your prefence to use email instead of calling. Email for advice or ordering is inefficient and almost never works, as there are feedback questions that are answered in a few seconds on the phone, but would take endless queiries and replies by email. I am not speaking to the specific advice from their rigging departments. I am speakling to the method of communication. I would always choose the telephone, as it is "light switch quick" and works every time.

Exmple: Called Sunpath for new riser order. plus some other stuff. Risers:
. length
. color
. which side for RSL ring or RSL ring on both
. which type of topgle velcto or pocket
. Need Slinks yes no
. shipping regular, ground
2d day air, overnite. OK what are the costs? Service guy instantly rattled off the 3 shipping costs
. Requested "no signature required"
All of this took about 90 seconds, and every type, color, shipping shipping instr etc were perfectly clear to the compnay and myself. Shipping decsion was made by me instantly based on the three costs quoterd..They have my CC card on file so that step was easy, but if I had my card ready, would have been the usual info stuff. I would estimate it would have taken all afternoon to get all of that accomplished by emails and repies and queiries and decsions and more replies and delays in getting to the eamil to respond to it and ...yadda yadda. UPT and Sunpath and Altico, Aerodyne etc all have good ordering service and the key is to use the telephone. I can't think of any order that I have ever done that took more than 2 minutes on the phone, with all of the little questions on prduct choice, product accessories and shipping method and costs being asked and aswered instantly. I even asked if they clul;d mail by USPSD a lanyard and they did for about $1.75, which saved UPS shipping.

My guess is that you prefer email and texting etc to speaking on the phone, and that you would/will have the same complaint working with any of the companies.

In short, I find Sunpath to be on a par with and just as good on their customer service as the other mfgs.
I just call and ask for the rigging dept or the oreder desk and it's over and done with as good as any other mfg.. Maybe change your mode of communication. Get off the keyboard and call. I think you'd be pleased with the result.

My guess is that you prefer email and texting etc to speaking on the phone, and that you would/will have the same complaint working with any of the companies.

Sometimes we prefer to email companies because it should be LESS of a bother for them, so they can attend to the matter when appropriate. So we're doing something to help them, and we'll be even more frustrated if they then seem to ignore us.

Sometimes I try to initiate contact by email but say that if the company and I need to work out details, let's talk on the phone -- that's where your idea of the fast back and forth works well.

Then sometimes it is back to email at the end so they don't misunderstand something over the phone, such as an address.