HillerMyLife

Boogies with the gf

I'm gonna try and make this short and sweet because I'm sure I'm not the first to have experienced this. Looked for a thread on it and didn't find one...anyway.

My girl loves hanging with me and I the same. She has come with me to the DZ a few times "just because I want to hang with you" so I bring her with. Thing is...I go to the DZ to skydive and she doesn't. So eventually I get the vibe that says she doesn't want to be there. It doesn't matter I'm staying for the sunset load...her bad not mine right??

So thats the background...anyway I'm planning on going to several boogies this Summer(never been to one) and I mentioned this to her. She got upset because I didn't invite her, I told her that I didn't think she would enjoy herself it wasn't that I "didn't invite her". But apparently I'm a dick because of that. I guess my question(s) is...will there be wuffo shit at a boogie to keep her entertained, or should I even bring her??
Someday Never Comes

Don't worry--there will be plenty of jumpers who will be more than willing to keep her company and make sure she doesn't get bored while you are jumping.;)

Walt

God I hate waiting in line! :|

No cuts>:(
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Ok, seriously she needs to understand that DZs and boogies can be *very* boring places for someone who is not jumping. The novelty can quickly wear off. I think the best bet is for you to be very up-front with her that she can expect to be seriously bored at a boogie *but* tell her she is welcome to go as long as she understands that you are there to jump and will not be spending much time with her during the day.

That being said, you might want to invite her to bring a friend and set her up with a rental car so they can go check out the local scenery. Most people know how it feels to be stuck somewhere and bored. It's good to give her an out but also let her come to her own conclusions about whether she wants to go to boogies with you.

I've seen some wives and SOs who really enjoy hanging out at the DZ or a boogie. Often, they'll bring a book or two and read and enjoy the ambience. I'm pretty sure they are in the minority, though.

There's a lot of joking around about the possible consequences of bringing your GF to the dropzone and for real, if your GF is not emotionally mature and committed to the relationship, DZs can be a bad place.

Get ready for some turmoil.

Walt

consider yourself lucky because your girl has at least a tiny bit of interest in you jumping!!!

I guess it's good and bad - depends on the relationship....Personally, if a girl came with me to a boogie - it would be more stress than it's worth.
=========Shaun ==========

There's a lot of joking around about the possible consequences of bringing your GF to the dropzone and for real, if your GF is not emotionally mature and committed to the relationship, DZs can be a bad place.

Get ready for some turmoil.

Walt

When we are travelling across the states late next year, I told my wife that I'd be heading to a few DZs (especially Eloy) and she could stay with our good friends in Miami. She got realy pissed off, and wanted to know why I didn't want her to come with me.:D:D:D
Now she's been to our local DZ many times, and gets bored after a day, so I"m just thinking she'll get bored real quick, if I'm there for 10 days, but she insists she wont be bored (i know different:ph34r::ph34r:)
So wwhat I know I WILL be doing is finding out if there are things for her to visit and see around the DZs we visit, she can hire a car for a couple of day and go places.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Would you rather find out you don't have a girlfriend anymore, along with the all the drama of getting dumped by a bored ex in the middle of a skydiving boogie, or wait until you get home?

Probably the "at the boogie" option because there it's more likely that there will be video!:D:D

Walt

Would you rather find out you don't have a girlfriend anymore, along with the all the drama of getting dumped by a bored ex in the middle of a skydiving boogie, or wait until you get home?

Probably the "at the boogie" option because there it's more likely that there will be video!:D:D

Walt

Definitely....and if she's with you, she can't break all your shit on the way out the door! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Definitely....and if she's with you, she can't break all your shit on the way out the door! :ph34r:

Not that it's any of my business, but I get the impression that you've been there, done that.;)

Walt

Oh..... Hell Yeah Buddy :$:)

B~T~D~T...but don't have the tee shirt. :|

She took IT too! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

...all the drama of getting dumped by a bored ex in the middle of a skydiving boogie,

Didn't I see something about that once on the crime show "City Confidential" ?! :$:P

The Pessimist says: "It can't possibly get any worse!"
The Optimist says: "Sure it can!"

I expected a few jokes but I was hoping they'd be funny!! Anyone can drop the old "while your flying solo some RW guy is turning points with your girl" bit...lets try and step it up in the future what do ya say gents?? ;)

Anyway yes we are committed and that aspect really didn't even cross my mind at all. I just know that she wants to be with me, and I also know that she will most likely get bored out there. Theres also the chance that she wants to be around to chase away any female skydivers...just a thought though...

At any rate the advice is appriciated especially the first guy who replied. It hadn't occured to me that she may one day be at the DZ when I or someone else bounces...good looking there bro.

The whole reason I started this thread was because I couldn't find any one like it and I figured there'd be no way I was the first dude to ever deal with this sticky issue...
Someday Never Comes

You could get her involved by showing her how to pack :) Then you'll have a free personal packer all day. ;)

(And yes my ex WAS willing to do just that but I made the executive decision that when she go bored she'd probably get the idea in her head to pack a mal to stop the jumping for the day and so decided against teaching her to pack):ph34r:
-Patrick

I expected a few jokes but I was hoping they'd be funny!! Anyone can drop the old "while your flying solo some RW guy is turning points with your girl" bit...lets try and step it up in the future what do ya say gents??

W H O O S H !

Over yer head a bit, the sound of a King Air taking off...late at night.:P

~ "Pack Fast, Pull Low... and Date Your Riggers WIFE!" ~

Perhaps her wanting to go to boogies with you is a symptom of a problem in the relationship. *shrugs*

Maybe she feels a bit neglected?

Or she feels threatened by the atmosphere at the dropzone and is worrying about you cheating?

It seems to me something more is probably going on in her head. Taking some time to try to get her to talk about it might be a good idea.

I just don't understand why one would willingly volunteer to go to an event they're gonna be really bored at.

How long have you guys been dating?

My husband has gone with me everytime I jump. He does not jump and has no intention of jumping. I go fishing with him. We make the best of it. I don't know if it's a sign that she is insecure, maybe she just wants to be there with you. Buy her a portable DVD player buy her some new movies a good book and binoculors (to watch you exit). If she wants to go she'll make the best of it.

i think if you pull all this together you have your answer. She needs to make her own conclusion. So- take her along and anticipate that she will get bored- have some entertainment(books, video) check out the local events and make sure she has a car to go out on her own. This will only happen once so just be prepared to ditch the boogie early. Make the first boogie one that you don't care so much about. She won't come to another one. It's just part of the process. You may get lucky- I've seen it where SOs are OK with sitting in the sun reading a book just hanging out. The key is that she has some personally rwarding activity to do while you skydive- my GF rides horses and we go our separate ways on weekends. A couple times a year I go watch her jump horses and a couple times a year she comes to the DZ.

I had some of those problems with my wife. She's been to the DZ with me more than a few times. Sometimes I plan on going and don't invite her, and she got upset, despite the fact that she previously mentioned that she got bored at the DZ. I mentioned that fact to her, to which she replied that it would still be nice to "be invited" and she could have the option to decline if she didn't feel like it.

It's been a long while since she's gone to a DZ with me... It was either read a book at home, or bring a book to read at the DZ, and home was much more comfortable. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Sometimes my wife goes with me to boogies sometimes she doesn't. We bought an rv so she could be comfortable (ac and queen size bed) while I am jumping. Sometimes she checks out the local sights (malls) while i jump. In my 7 years of jumping she has done 3 tandems but is not interested in pursuing jumping any more than the occasional tandem. You just need to give her the option and let her decide wether to go or stay home. I know once in a while she gets frustrated when I have 4-5 weekends in a row of jumping events but it usually isn't a big deal as long as I schedule a weekend here and there just for us or to work on the house.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!