TrophyHusband

math geniuses unite

I use underscore to denote subscripts, so log_5 specifies that 5 is the subscript, just for clarity, although I'm sure you would've understood what I meant anyway. And ^ denotes power. So here goes:

2^(1/log_5 (x)) = 1/16

notice that 1/16 is actually 1/2^4 so it's actually 2^(-4)

2 raised to that mess is equal to 2 raised to the power -4, which means big mess equals -4

i.e. (1/log_5(x)) = -4

so when we invert the fraction we get log_5 (x) = -1/4

so x is 5^(-1/4)

(edited to fix typos)

the answer ends up being 1/square root of 5. i kept coming up with 1/25 because for some reason i was trying to make2/-4=-2 instead of -1/2. i kept making the same stupid mistake repeatedly. i ate dinner and when i came back i got it right the first time.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

I use underscore to denote subscripts, so log_5 specifies that 5 is the subscript, just for clarity, although I'm sure you would've understood what I meant anyway. And ^ denotes power. So here goes:

2^(1/log_5 (x)) = 1/16

notice that 1/16 is actually 1/2^4 so it's actually 2^(-4)

2 raised to that mess is equal to 2 raised to the power -4, which means big mess equals -4

i.e. (1/log_5(x)) = -4

so when we invert the fraction we get log_5 (x) = -1/4

so x is 5^(-1/4)

(edited to fix typos)

Is it wrong that I actually enjoyed reading this post? :|
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

the answer ends up being 1/square root of 5. i kept coming up with 1/25 because for some reason i was trying to make2/-4=-2 instead of -1/2. i kept making the same stupid mistake repeatedly. i ate dinner and when i came back i got it right the first time.

Are you sure it's one over the square root of 5.... I've done it a couple times again... and still agree with SuperGirl that I think it's one over the fourth root of 5.

i'm pretty sure. i came up with that a couple of times and it matches the answer in the back of the book, but i did find a wrong answer in the book once before. i don't have time now but i'll do it again later and see what's going on. maybe kallend or bill von will weight in and settle it for us.

www.kjandmegan.com

Are you sure it's one over the square root of 5.... I've done it a couple times again... and still agree with SuperGirl that I think it's one over the fourth root of 5.

I was confident SuperGirl was correct, but to be sure, I plugged it into my trusty TI-89. The result was indeed 5^(-1/4).
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

yes she was. i have another problem if you're up for it. this time i don't need an answer though, i need to know what i'm doing wrong. my math final is on wednesday and i really need to work out the bugs.

Find a polynomialof degree 3 with constant coefficient 12 and zeros -1/2, 2, and 3.

it sounds simple enough.

(x+1/2)(x-2)(x-3)=x^3-9/2x^2+7/2x+3

multiply that whole mess by 4 and you get
4x^3-18x^2+14x+12

seems to me that the requirements are satisfied, but the answer given is 4x^3-18x^2+14x-12

i tried it several times and can't for the life of me figure out why the 12 is negative and not positive. i wrote it off as a typo in the book until i ran across the exact same issue on a practice test the instructor gave us to take home. obviously i'm missing something, i just don't know what it is.

www.kjandmegan.com

i really got thrown when doing a problem that the intructor gave us. its the same type of problem and there is the same discrepancy.

Find a polynomial with integer coefficiantsnthat satisfied the given conditions:
degree of 3 and zeros of -3, 1+i, and 1-i.

the answer he gave is x^3+x^2-4x-6

the answer i get is x^3+x^2-4x+6

without even multiplying the whole mess out you can see that you will be multipying 2 negatives and 1 positive to get the constant. this will result in a positive constant. wtf?

its difficult for me to believe that on the same day i can find both the text book and my instructor to be wrong concerning the exact same type of problem. stranger things have happened though.

www.kjandmegan.com