Michele

Help - Plasma TV choice?

Diagonal screen size should be (no larger than) about half the distance from the screen to the main viewing seats.

Good rule of thumb for nearly all televisions, although if this is a mainly DVD-only home theater (DVD or HD) and you're using a high-def front projector, you can kind of modify this rule to a viewing distance of approximately 1.5 times screen width, since many of the new models have good video processors/doublers/scalers (Faroudja, etc). I am using a 120" diagonal screen (about 8.5 feet wide), with a viewing distance of 12 feet.

I use a separate TV set for watching TV -- since when we use the TV, it's for something spontaneous; and our projector takes 30 seconds to warm up. (It's an older model of a projector, time to upgrade. :)

Many of them are taken from the mastered FILM.... they were not filmed in digital... so the quality is there just waiting for the digital technology to catch up.

within the next two years before the cutoff of non HD broadcasting in Feb of 2009... the 1080p will be the standard.. the 1080i is ok but it is still just an interlaced signal. I got to see some of the really HD stuff they were working on when I was working at Microsoft.

Like I said.. the Blue Ray BDROM are phenomenal.. BUT.. the HD DVD will probably be the standard because the manufacturers can make that format more easily.

If you have an XBOX360 there is an add on box that will output the 1080p signal.. for gaming the 1080p is SWEEEEEET.

I watched this technology progress over the last few years.. waiting for some kind of standard... I went to all the high end stores and stood right in front of the TV's and looked at the screens VERY close and personal ;ooking to see if I could see the pixels....I spent MANY MANY hours in front of all the "standards"

The 720p are better than the 1080i interlaced whn it comes to quality..

The 1080p TV's are not all that more expensive.. espeically since most people live with their choices for many years to come. Just watch the sales and shop accordingly..

If you have cable.. and have HD.... or you want to watch the new HD DVD...I can see the difference... and I am old and decrepit..;)

Like I said.. the Blue Ray BDROM are phenomenal.. BUT.. the HD DVD will probably be the standard because the manufacturers can make that format more easily.

I think in the next 5 years, unified players will probably moot the high-def format war.

While Blu-Ray is more expensive, the cost difference won't matter in five years.

They have now already invented a chip (AT SAME COST) that can handle both Blu-Ray and HDDVD. Now all that needs to be invented is an inexpensive optical pickup that can handle both formats.

Betamax and VHS wasn't the same size cartridge.
But Blu-Ray and HDDVD are exactly the same size as a CD.

If you already bought a player, there's nothing to worry -- in all likelihood, this war is going to fizzle out in 5 years. One format may be more popular, but that universal players will become commonplace in 5 years from now. (Yes, it will suck for those who buy expensive players early on)

LCD or DLP is the way to go from what I've read. Plasma, while really cool, has some issues, but I don't know them by experience.

There is one plasma I would buy, if money were no object:http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prModelDetail?storeId=11301&catalogId=13251&itemId=98057&modelNo=Content07192006102223667&surfModel=Content07192006102223667

103-inch plasma baby!!B|
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I think in the next 5 years, unified players will probably moot the high-def format war.

I think the merging of home computing and home theater technologies will accomplish this, rather than a unified player.

Now all that needs to be invented is an inexpensive optical pickup that can handle both formats.

But Blu-Ray and HDDVD are exactly the same size as a CD.

IIRC, the physical difference is the thickness of the disks. Blu-Ray discs are much thinner, and their reduced thickness is what allows the technology to work. Likewise, the HDDVD relies on its thicker dimension for its technology to work properly. I'm not sure the two technologies will ever be playable with the same optical pickup. (I could be mistaken.)

Correction: The difference is the distance of the recording surface from the surface of the discs, not the thickness of the discs. That may be something a unified optical pickup could deal with, although I still think as more people build their home theater systems around computers (and the price of each technology drops), it will be a non-issue soon, anyway.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

O.K., I'm utterly confused. Dad wants to get a plasma. He won't be talked into anything else. My brother wants a plasma. So it's all about plasma.

So. I figure about a 42 inch would be good for their family room. No game playing (yet), but mostly movie watching.

Can someone tell me the best 42" plasma tv to get for my brother for Christmas? I'm so confused...

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Can someone tell me the best 42" plasma tv to get for my brother for Christmas? I'm so confused...

I'm not an expert, but I've always been a fan of Panasonic products. Sony is good too, but you tend to get less for the money.

If you take your dad to a "real" audio-video shop, the sales folks may lend a better hand.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

The difference is the distance of the recording surface from the surface of the discs, not the thickness of the discs. That may be something a unified optical pickup could deal with, although I still think as more people build their home theater systems around computers (and the price of each technology drops), it will be a non-issue soon, anyway.

Yes, that is the key issue, but focussing mechanisms are already being done to switch between "layers" on a disc, but there are actually a large number of other complexities that make a unified pickup challenging. However, it should be technically possible, just not easy to make yet in a cost-effective manner.

Most DVD players also play CD/VCD/SVCD, even though sometimes they require a separate laser pickup to play reliably. I think once mass production and technology plays out, with unified chips and pickups, the main cost burden will eventually be the licensing fees (both HDDVD and BluRay camps). In 2012, a $50 high-def player could be $100 because of that, unless that changes.

Yes, computers are becoming more popular and you could add a separate HDDVD and BluRay drive to them... In the late 90's, I used to moderate the Internet's first Home Theater Computers forum on AVSFORUM, and got mentioned in Forbes magazine for that (Click for my name on Page 210 of July 24th, 2000 issue), so I'm somewhat of an oldtime guru on this subject although not so much these days as back in the late 90's when I was trailblazing HTPC's before Microsoft even dreamed up Media Center... It's no longer a big focus of my life as it was back then, since I am on a different career path nowadays...

Also, consoles are arguably computers themselves too, and they are already a popular way to play DVD's. Considering PlayStation is already literally a computer with the ability to do almost everything a storebought PC can do, except word processing -- it apparently can play many video file formats and view video websites such as YouTube)

i gonna have to agree with some people...
i also say, DLP is the way to go...
it's only about $250 for a bulb, that needs relpaced every7-10 years unless sooner!
plasma, need recharged about evey 2-5 years! and the burn the screen! so if you watch the same channel all the time, you goona see some effects of that over time!
sony makes the best Plasma. and you get what you pay for! don't buy a show model.....ever!
samsung make the best DLP.....depends on what you want!
if hes persistant on gettin a plasma, try and talk him into a LCD!
plasma is over rated
and also....
try and find one "intergrated"
intergrated means that.....to watch "HIGH DEF" you need nothing extra.
if you bought one NON INTERGRATED, your goin to have to a cable box to watch the high def channels.
i have a 50" samsung DLP intergrated
i get 5 free high def!
for $8 more i could get 5 more channels
DLP is the Best Bet!!

First off: 7-10 years out of a bulb? Sure, if you watch about 2 hours a day. 8,000 hours is the expected bulb life.

Second: Plasmas do not need "recharging", ever. They will reach their half life of brightness in about 60,000 hours of use.

Third: Burn-in isn't exactly easy to do these days, most displays worth buying have built in protection against it.

Fourth: Sony does not sell consumer plasma displays.

None of the above points are subjective, you are just flat out wrong.
cavete terrae.

O.K., I'm utterly confused. Dad wants to get a plasma. He won't be talked into anything else. My brother wants a plasma. So it's all about plasma.

So. I figure about a 42 inch would be good for their family room. No game playing (yet), but mostly movie watching.

Ciels-
Michele

Best: Pioneer
Second best: Samsung or Panasonic. If you get the Panasonic, make sure someone is going to calibrate it.
Third best: Philips, LG

Don't bother with anything else.
cavete terrae.

I'm not an expert, but I've always been a fan of Panasonic products. Sony is good too, but you tend to get less for the money.

If you take your dad to a "real" audio-video shop, the sales folks may lend a better hand.

Sony does not sell consumer plasmas.
cavete terrae.

You pose a tricky question, much like asking which computer is the best. The advice and opinions you will get are and will baffle the mind. First you need to provide a bit more info if you want a practical solution. First things first, you need to identify a few things before you start dialing in what fits your need.

1. What is your budget?

2. How big is the room the TV will go in and how far will it be from the couch or where ever it will be viewed from? Rule of thumb is to multiply 3.3 by the distance you plan on being from the TV for the size screen you should consider. Most people just go for big thinking its better,which isn't always the case.

3. What is the layout of the living room right now with their current TV? Will buying them a TV that needs to be wall mounted or needs a pedestal require them to buy new furniture for the living room or drastically change it?

* Optional item and general observation to consider if it is within your budget. Most people who have a large screen TV will also at some point want a Home theatre system for surround sound. If you pick the correct TV for the room you might have enough left in your budget to also purchase a decent HTIB(home theatre in a box) to complete the gift.

My advice to you, since there is enough information out there and in this thread to confuse most people, is to grab a copy of the December 2006 Consumer Reports as it has a large section on large screen TVs that breaks everything down to you in simple terms and also gives you their recommendations.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Yes, computers are becoming more popular and you could add a separate HDDVD and BluRay drive to them... In the late 90's, I used to moderate the Internet's first Home Theater Computers forum on AVSFORUM, and got mentioned in Forbes magazine for that (Click for my name on Page 210 of July 24th, 2000 issue), so I'm somewhat of an oldtime guru on this subject although not so much these days as back in the late 90's when I was trailblazing HTPC's before Microsoft even dreamed up Media Center... It's no longer a big focus of my life as it was back then, since I am on a different career path nowadays...

Also, consoles are arguably computers themselves too, and they are already a popular way to play DVD's. Considering PlayStation is already literally a computer with the ability to do almost everything a storebought PC can do, except word processing -- it apparently can play many video file formats and view video websites such as YouTube)

I've owned the high end component based A/V system. I've also used extensively a roommate's Mac Mini / Terastation (via LAN) system. Speakers notwithstanding, the Mac based system was superior, especially in terms of user friendliness, even without Front Row. The PC that was replaced by the Mac also worked better than the component system, without Media Center.

It's just a matter of time before people typically have a computer controlling their A/V needs. Easier to use, less space required, more formats supported, and fewer remotes. To say nothing of LAN streaming, etc.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Hi, Scott!

1. What is your budget?

Dunno. Dad can get pretty extravagant, so it's sort of my job to figure out what the cost should be for the item he's buying. He has a tendency to say "the heck with it" when it's something he thinks the other person wants, but in this arena, I think that can be really dangerous. So I don't know the budget...but not $5K +.

2. How big is the room the TV will go in and how far will it be from the couch or where ever it will be viewed from? Rule of thumb is to multiply 3.3 by the distance you plan on being from the TV for the size screen you should consider. Most people just go for big thinking its better,which isn't always the case.

His family room is about 18x23 and the sofa is about 14-15 feet away from where the TV would go. It's a rather large room, so the sofa can be moved a bit if needed. I was figuring on 42" for that reason - the 3:1 ratio (that's what I heard, at least, and you seem to confirm it somewhat).

3. What is the layout of the living room right now with their current TV? Will buying them a TV that needs to be wall mounted or needs a pedestal require them to buy new furniture for the living room or drastically change it?

It wouldn't go into the living room - that already has a TV in it. This would go downstairs in the family room, which is the playroom/computer room. I do believe they have something they can set it on, or we can look got one with a stand (which is what I think we should do; they can change it should they want to later). It won't be wall mounted, I don't think. There won't need to be drastic changing of the furniture, so that's all good too.

* Optional item and general observation to consider if it is within your budget. Most people who have a large screen TV will also at some point want a Home theatre system for surround sound. If you pick the correct TV for the room you might have enough left in your budget to also purchase a decent HTIB(home theatre in a box) to complete the gift.

And that would be the optimal situation. I know my brother would love to have that sort of set up, so if it's possible, I'd love to do that. Of course, it depends on what make/model, and how much of a sale I can find.

Thanks for the questions - I really appreciate it.

And I also appreciate everyone's input. I might not understand it, but I appreciate the effort and time you have put into it. I'll say right now that I'm with Muenkel and Sunny-one - if it plugs in, I'm lost. I'm the one they make fun of at the service phone lines..."can you believe that lady? Sat on hold for 3 hours just so I could tell her where the start button is. Damn, some people!!!"

Ciels-
Michele

Hey Grue,

Even though I am completely retarded when it comes to this stuff, I do plan to buy a large LCD or plasma TV sometime in the near future. I just got my place recently re-modeled and I have the perfect spot for it. So, stick around. You may be hearing from me.

Chris

I went out looking at Best Buy tonight with a friend (thanks, Keith!!). I've discovered there is a whole lot out there, and that the sales staff want us deaf. Do they really have to have all the tv's on with loud sound at the same time? [:/]

I found a deal, but Dad wants to read Consumer Reports tomorrow at the library. We're going to have a better idea on Wednesday, and that's likely when we'll purchase it. We can have it delivered to Oregon, where my brother lives, and I'll just have them address it to me (so they don't open the package...and the kids won't wonder about it).

So no decision has been made yet...still looking for all votes of confidence and everything else i need to know...and I told Dad not to wear his hearing aids because he'd be blasted out of there. I have no choice - at least he can turn down the sound. Me? I'll just bring aspirin for the headache.

Ciels-
Michele

I'll go with a completely different angle and provide criticism on the premise: noone really "needs" a TV.

I was thinking that myself. Then again, we have a couple of TVs around the house. Our "good" TV is a 27" wal-mart special that is nearly 6 years old, but is still currently (*knocks on wood*) in good working order.

Every time I go to Best Buy I drool over the LCD and Plasma TVs though.

Someday...someday.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma and I love it. I spent a lot of time comparing and I think it is the best bang for the buck. Now before you flame me: I got the ED or enhanced definition model. For my viewing needs I couldn't see a big difference for the extra $750. I also don't believe there are enough HD programs to make it cost effective. I figure when everything goes HD it will be time to buy a new one and prices will have fallen.

I went out looking at Best Buy tonight with a friend (thanks, Keith!!). I've discovered there is a whole lot out there, and that the sales staff want us deaf. Do they really have to have all the tv's on with loud sound at the same time? [:/]

I found a deal, but Dad wants to read Consumer Reports tomorrow at the library. We're going to have a better idea on Wednesday, and that's likely when we'll purchase it. We can have it delivered to Oregon, where my brother lives, and I'll just have them address it to me (so they don't open the package...and the kids won't wonder about it).

i have the november 2006 consumer reports here, the 'annual electronics issue' and for a 42" plasma, they rate the fujitsu plasmavision P42XTA51US the highest, but it's also almost triple the price ($4500 vs. $1700) of the second rated model, an HP PL4260N. next on their list was a Panasonic TH-42PX60U at $2100 followed by a Hitachi Ultravision 42HDS69 at $2200.

that said, i have no personal experience with high def tv. i want one, but i keep waiting for formats and prices to settle. i figure at this point, i'll live with my 32" sony crt until i can decide.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001