ltdiver

billvon--FCC upholds cell phone ban on flights?

So, it seems that all billvon's work with the FAA has gone for naught? The FCC upheld the cell phone ban on airline flights! :S

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TRAVEL/04/03/cell.phones.airplanes.ap/index.html

Well, I kinda understand...I have a co-worker who yaks -constantly- on her cell phone! :S

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

thank god for that. Could you imagine being on a flight for 12 hours not escaping people talking on their phones the whole time. That would suck.

Agreed, screaming kids are enough

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

thank god for that. Could you imagine being on a flight for 12 hours not escaping people talking on their phones the whole time. That would suck.

Better them talking on the phone than talking to me. I hate people who strike up conversations on planes I land in.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

the FCC vs the FAA is a very different thing.

Well, duh! :S

ltdiver

You might want to read what you posted. If Bill has been bitching at the FAA, then there's no relevance to this article, since it's about the FCC, otherwise known as the Federal Sandy Vagina Agency
cavete terrae.

Better them talking on the phone than talking to me. I hate people who strike up conversations on planes I land in.

I actually read through the thread before posting that, so instead I can just say, "Ditto." :D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

People don't talk to me on airplanes anyway. I guess I'm one of those "unapproachable" women. :D
Seriously.

I do wish they'd keep cell phone conversations banned but allow messaging and internet use. I could get a lot more work done if I could work on the plane.

I thought PCS phones didn't work above a couple of thousand feet anyway?

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

I guess I'm one of those "unapproachable" women.

You folded your arms again, didn't you?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

> I thought PCS phones didn't work above a couple of thousand feet anyway?

PCS and what people call "standard" cellular nowadays are both basically the same technology (CDMA) using different frequencies (800 and 1900 mhz.) Both don't work much above about 5000 feet, although we've locked onto pilots as high as 10,000 feet from inside an MD-80. That was actually a problem during our testing.

The systems they are discussing, though, use a picocell in the cabin to 'grab' the phone's signal and retransmit it via, say, a satellite link. That way the cellphone is automatically set to its lowest possible power output to avoid interfering with ground-based cells. It is this interference, though, that the FCC is worried about.

The biggest problem isn't really cellphones that are making calls, it's "rouge" phones that are stuck transmitting at full power for whatever reason (phone processor failure, bad subscriber setting etc.) On the ground, the 'damage' is limited to a few sectors, but in the air you can blanket a lot of cells. Note that under ordinary conditions, a picocell in the plane will actually reduce interference, since the cellphones that people inevitably leave on will not be blasting registration messages at maximum power.

the FCC vs the FAA is a very different thing.

Well, duh! :S

ltdiver

You might want to read what you posted. If Bill has been bitching at the FAA, then there's no relevance to this article, since it's about the FCC, otherwise known as the Federal Sandy Vagina Agency

My reference was to billvon's previous posts and research years ago (before you started posting here on dz.com). He worked -with- the FAA to develop a system that could work from commercial airlines and not disturb others on the ground. IIRC all that was left was signatures on papers to kick it into gear.

Seems that the FCC has put a krink in that penmanship.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon