davekagi

What does Cypress ready mean?

It means that it has the pocket in the reserve tray and any necessary routing around it for Cypres to be added, ie a rigger just needs to fit it rather than make any changes to add it to the rig.

tash

edited to remove second s :$
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

A quick stab at google will answer that question. Might help to remove one 'S' first though! :P

edit: sh*t - mental note to self, read the question slowly and carefully first! :$

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

Was there any form of AAD available before 1991?

Edit: On second thought, better question. Could a Javelin manufactured in October 1990 have been retrofitted for a Cypres by Airtec shortly after it was constructed?
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

Was there any form of AAD available before 1991?

Edit: On second thought, better question. Could a Javelin manufactured in October 1990 have been retrofitted for a Cypres by Airtec shortly after it was constructed?

It's very possible that such a rig would have been CYPRES-modded after that time, assuming the owner wanted to install the device. It is a very simple mod.

Chuck

Interesting point, I'll have to ask this seller about that. If it wasn't, what would that mean, that it wasn't really fitted for a Cypres? Also, the seller listed information saying that the prior owner had a Cypres 1 in it. Are the 1 and 2 cross-compatible with a Cypres-fitted rig, or is it specific to the model?
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

Older rigs must be retrofitted by a Master Rigger approved by Airtec.

Airtec or the rig manufacturer?

In the US (master rigger) no approval needed from anyone except the "administrator" and the written instructions of both the AAD and H/C mfg's in hand. Pretty simple.

Mick.

OK . . . I may be confused by your first post. Do you have the rig and are selling it, or are you looking at buying this rig from somebody else?

Sorry about the confusion. I'm considering buying this rig from someone else. It'll be my first rig, so the questions are rampant.

In the US (master rigger) no approval needed from anyone except the "administrator" and the written instructions of both the AAD and H/C mfg's in hand. Pretty simple.

Mick.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So you mean that the $100 - that I mailed to Airtec in exchange for a video tape and a purple binder - was a waste?
Before I got Airtec's blessing, I remember Square One's loft manager FIERCELY protecting his RIGHT to be the only rigger who could do Cypres-retrofits!
Cypres-retrofits were almost a RELIGIOUS issue with him!

Mick.

So you mean that the $100 - that I mailed to Airtec in exchange for a video tape and a purple binder - was a waste?
Before I got Airtec's blessing, I remember Square One's loft manager FIERCELY protecting his RIGHT to be the only rigger who could do Cypres-retrofits!

No, not a waste, but a hundred bucks was a little steep for the instructions. Both you and I know all about the Sth CA rigging politics of the 80's and 90's, I wonder if anythings changed that much?

Mick.

No, not a waste, but a hundred bucks was a little steep for the instructions. Both you and I know all about the Sth CA rigging politics of the 80's and 90's, I wonder if anything's changed that much?

Mick.

OH YES!
I clearly remember the RELIGIOUS nature of rigging in Southern California.
Fortunately most of those zealots burned out and moved on.
I even remember one - newly minted - Master Rigger offering to "fuck you up" over a trivial matter. Hint: the answer was in a drawer less than a meter from him.

These days, my challenge - as a Rigger Instructor - is teach young riggers a solid grasp of the fundementals without turning them into fundamentalists.
Hee!
Hee!

OH YES!
I clearly remember the RELIGIOUS nature of rigging in Southern California.
Fortunately most of those zealots burned out and moved on.
I even remember one - newly minted - Master Rigger offering to "fuck you up" over a trivial matter. Hint: the answer was in a drawer less than a meter from him.

Ah, you've lost me there, I'm drawing a blank, what was the issue? Maybe that will spur the thought process along.

I do remember alot of huge egos bumping into one another, I also remember Sandys "secret" book in which he kept notes on all riggers in the area. The hope was to catch some trasgression and banish/ destroy one, two, as many as they could to ease the "rigger glut" in Sth CA. When I talked to a certain rigger (of shorter stature) years later he admitted to me that it wasn't so much about safety as it was MONEY. That, I and others had always assumed so years before, proving that politics is always about money even when it's not immediatly obvious.

Mick.