sure thing M...;)
we are waaaay more than just "in your corner"
hell i have 2 grand riding on your upcoming victory,,,,,:D

what good is a heavyweight bout without laying down a bet or two..???:o
and i always BET on the Winners.....!!!!!B|
do us all proud.....
have a good weekend.

jmy

Awww, Michele, that's just so not right. >:( They say that "those who can, do; and those who can't, teach." But it sounds like he can't do either! Hey, you CAN get through 16 more, and you WILL show him what you're made of. I know you will.

It'll be good to have a few days off. Enjoy! Can't wait to hear about your A at the end of the term!! You go, girl. ;)
Blue skies & happy jitters ~Mockingbird
"Why is there something rather than nothing?"

Don't let the bastard get to you. Take a few deep, cleansing breaths...relax...and even though it's hard to do - get your sleep!!!!! Ok...so I don't necessarily practice what I'm preaching on sleep :$, but...I do know that it's a requirement when stressed out. Getting your sleep as well as taking some time for yourself will help you get through the class.

Good luck. :)
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Michele, I'm sure with a night's sleep behind you things are feeling less desperate. At least I hope so!
Some of the comments your prof made remind me of my daughter's Algebra teacher. He recently gave a quiz which only 1/3 of the class even passed. His comment to the class was, "What does that say about most of you in this class?"

Some people have trouble seeing their own inadequacies, so they react with hostility or patronize their students. If you're putting that much effort into it and still struggling, the problem obviously lies with the instruction. Don't let his inadequacy make you doubt yourself!!

I am stressed. And he is a nightmare.

And your post is perfect. Add the rest of the class cheering me on, and you've got the ideal situation.

I can fantasize, anyway, about it. I can't do it, but I can sit in front of his class, dreaming about drowning him. And I bet I will.

Hey, glad to help. Regarding your fantasizing about drowning him, he is going to be curious as to why you have an ear to ear grin throughout his classes.

Semesters almost over so there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Everyone has to deal with at least one of his kind during their academic career. Just move on when it is over and put the loser in your rear view mirror. One grade will not likely be the make or break of your ambitions (even though it may feel like it at the time). Be sure to let future students know to avoid him.

Cheers
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

MLKSky said:

Tell him you'll show him your boobs if he give you an "A"

LOL, would that it be so easy. My boobs are fighting gravity, like the rest of me. Chances are, as contrary as he is, he'd fail me for that. So the girls will remain tucked inside...

what good is a heavyweight bout without laying down a bet or two..???
and i always BET on the Winners.....!!!!!
do us all proud.....

LOL, yes, I am a heavyweight. Any complaint against him will have to wait until the end of the semester. He's the type to retaliate...so 'til I am sure I can get the best grade possible, I won't be saying word one. It's enough that my study buddies were with me at the time, and know the whole thing. I'm sure they'll step up if need be....

Thanks for the vote of confidence, and the bet. I don't think anyone's ever bet on me before...maybe that means I owe beer??? LOL.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Mockingbird said:

They say that "those who can, do; and those who can't, teach." But it sounds like he can't do either! Hey, you CAN get through 16 more, and you WILL show him what you're made of. I know you will.

I will somehow make it through. I may be utterly crazy by the end of the semester, but I will make it through. I just can't imagine taking this class over summer, especially since he's teaching it then, too. :S So, well...I'll just keep plugging along, doing my best in less than optimum conditions, and teaching myself microbiology.[:/]

Is it mandatory that you carry such a heavy load that you only get two hours of sleep?

It sounds counterproductive to me, but what do I know.

It's not mandatory, and frankly, it's not really all that heavy a load unit wise. I'm in physio, micro, and english...

Physio has a great instructor. I understand things when I leave the classroom, and studying reinforces and provides the details to the idea. English is a relative breeze for me; I've missed 13 points in about 300, so my A is almost guaranteed.

Micro, however, is a tough subject to begin with, and with an instructor I simply don't understand, I am left teaching myself the information from the text, the web, and study groups.

The two hour sleep stuff is not because I have a heavy load - it's because I stress so much about how to answer the micro questions that I lay in bed and think over things. I get up and study the flashcards I've made, and try to do my damnedest to understand things that he doesn't explain. I listen to the lectures over and over, and read the material over and over, and make flashcards, and have study groups, and still get so wigged out that I can't sleep.

So it's not the load, per se, it's the time it's taking me to teach myself the material, and also a result of the stress I'm under.

And yes, it is indeed counterproductive. A vicious cycle, to be sure.

Ciels-
Michele

Cora, you're right. I really do need to get the sleep...but sometimes, I just lay there, wondering about the cashier's position. Sometimes it's so very attractive....

Sartre said

Some of the comments your prof made remind me of my daughter's Algebra teacher. He recently gave a quiz which only 1/3 of the class even passed. His comment to the class was, "What does that say about most of you in this class?"

It tells me that he's a sucky teacher...he and my Nazi professor should get together and compare notes on how to teach more poorly.

Still and all, while I know my professor is sucky, I still have to take this class. It's a prerequisite on getting into the next level of education, and that's where my goal lies. Sigh. So I'll do what I can, the best way I can, and go from there.

Richards said:

One grade will not likely be the make or break of your ambitions (even though it may feel like it at the time). Be sure to let future students know to avoid him.

Rate My Professor . com will indeed get a scathing rating from me. I don't like to do that - but sometimes, it's just necessary. I didn't do it with my chem instructor, but I will be doing it here.

As for it making/breaking, my chances are lowered with every less than A grade I get. The schools I'm applying to in June are very, very competative, and I do worry that a B will hurt my chances. Realistically, it probably won't, but it will make it less than sure that I get into the school of choice. And that's what worries me.

But again, I'm going to do my best as I've been doing, and work with what I've got. No choice; things are what they are, and I have to make the best of them. That's the bottom line, isn't it? And if I have some explaining to do on the interviews, well, I'm hoping his reputation preceeds him...and I know it will. Apparently, he's got a horrific reputation throughout the community. So maybe that will work in my favor.

Ciels-
Michele

I hate bullies. You want me to punch him in the fucking mouth? No charge, I know you're broke.

Good lord. Keith, as much as I want to take you up on that, I know you're a big guy. He's not - and he suffers from "little man's syndrom." I'm taller (by a few inches) than he is, and I'm only 5'7"! If you punched him in the mouth, he'd fall over and die! LOL.

But if you're ever this way, I'll take you to meet him. I think your very presence would intimidate the hell out of him, and he'd have a heart attack on the spot. That way, you didn't do a thing to him, and the rest of the student body is free of the Nazi (and yes, that's the name he's known by).

And the only remuneration I could give is a hug. But I've heard my hugs are pretty great, so maybe that would be enough?:);):D

Ciels-
Michele

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time with your professor. Unfortunately, I think it's all part of the higher-education experience [:/].

In 5 years of college, I had 4 or 5 instructors who I learned absolutely nothing (material-wise). Sometimes it was arrogance/incompetance, sometimes a language barrier. Whatever the case, I was pretty much on my own.

For all of those, I had at least one awesome instructor, who made the really tough concepts really easy B|B|.

Keep your head up and make the best of the situation. I'm fully expecting an "I aced Micro" thread in the near future B|;).

For all of those, I had at least one awesome instructor, who made the really tough concepts really easy

I've had several wonderful instructors last semester, which is good, because otherwise, I'd really be thinking it was me and not the instructor.

My anatomy professor, my biology professor, and my maths professor were all amazing and totally invested in my success. I remain in touch with all three currently, and don't see that changing at all.

And that really does help; it makes me remember it's NOT me, necessarily, but rather ineffective instruction and mediocre interest in the student from the professor.

Thank God I had the good ones first, because if this guy was my first professor back from a 23 year hiatus, I probably would be dropping out again.

Ciels-
Michele

I'm taller (by a few inches) than he is, and I'm only 5'7"! If you punched him in the mouth, he'd fall over and die!

Well, there's his problem. You intimidate him both intellectually and physically. He's a small, small man in every sense of the word.

I had typed a really long post.. but I decided to summarize everything I was trying to say in a much more succint manner.

Get more sleep. Regular exercise will help you accomplish this. No studying between 10:00 pm and 6:00 am.

Teach yourself the concepts by taking notes and then teaching other people. If you can teach someone else a concept, you most likely will have mastered it.

Use office hours. While there, get your questions answered and stroke the teachers ego a bit. A properly flattered teacher will open up about what is on the tests.

A 'B' is not the end of the world. Allow yourself to get one. A minor "failure" will free you from the shackles of perfection.

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

snicker

Haaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaa.

But you're still there...and I'm here. What to do, what to do. >:(;)

Keith, I'll pay you in hugs. Come out and thump this weeney for me, all right?

Sartre, you're right - he is a small, small man...

I've been trying to get some perspective...and I think I've managed that over the last few days. I took a break, and let it all get out of my head. You're right - a B is not the end of the world...as long as I've done my best, with a teacher who has a reputation of being an asshat, I can't do better than that.

Perfection is the goal, not the starting point. I'll just keep walking and trudging along, and will get there someday. But it's not now...and that means I have to keep working really hard, but also keep my head on my shoulders and maintain the perspective. I think I can do that - for the next little while, at least.:S

Ciels-
Michele

Rate My Professor . com will indeed get a scathing rating from me. I don't like to do that - but sometimes, it's just necessary. I didn't do it with my chem instructor, but I will be doing it here.

Whats this guys name? I would like to see what you posted (that site is great for laughs)

But again, I'm going to do my best as I've been doing, and work with what I've got. No choice; things are what they are, and I have to make the best of them. That's the bottom line, isn't it?

I suspect you will do fine. Judging by prior posts I get the impression that you are perhaps a perfectionist and tend to see all the reasons why a top school will not want you as opposed to why they would. Incedentally what is it you are trying to get into?

Cheers
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Richards, when I can post without fear of recrimination, I'll post his name and put a link up. That won't be until June, though...

I suspect you will do fine. Judging by prior posts I get the impression that you are perhaps a perfectionist and tend to see all the reasons why a top school will not want you as opposed to why they would.

You're right...I have turned into a perfectionist. And that's rough.

Well, I can't say I've turned into one; I think that it's been a long-standing trait; if I don't do very well, then I'm a failure. Black and white. No middle ground, and that's the rough part.

I guess what I'm learning is how to not be perfect, and let that be good enough. Problem is, it's a really hard lesson to learn.

Incedentally what is it you are trying to get into?

Nursing or PA. Not sure which just yet; ER Trauma really speaks to me, and one can't be a PA in the ER.

Problem is, the nursing shortage here in the US has created a lack of nurses with high enough degrees to teach, thus creating a nursing teachers' shortage. This in turn leads to a shortage of nursing classes/seats, and so competition is fierce for each seat, and the prerequisites are tight and hard to cull the applicants so they can get a higher graduation rate.

How TPTB has decided to solve this dilemma is to give "earned" seats to those with a certain GPA in the prerequisite course. About 2/3 of the seats are "earned", meaning that the GPA has brought in the students. However, the last 1/3 are done by lottery; that means anyone who's passed the prerequisites can be given a seat.

Because of that, one B can inded affect my ability to get into the higher ranking schools...I might be in a position to have to rely on the lottery system, and I just don't like those odds.

That's the problem...and that's why there is so much pressure to get As across the board. Funny thing is that I've heard that the pressure is far less once in the nursing school - yes, it's hard, but it's not nearly as competitive and cutthroat. And the professors are invested in graduating a certain number of students, because that's one of the ways they retain their accredidation.

Sigh.

Ciels-
Michele