SuperKat

I know this is an illusion but can you offer a reasonable explanation as to how the F!@$?

The levitation thing is ridiculous - we've seen enough people hanging in a harness to recognize that posture. You can also see him swing just slightly in spots. He's obviously never PLF'd.

That's what I'd call a very good crane operator, 20 extras, and one brother in law who's good with video editing.

Walking on water is an acrylic bridge built to be just under the surface of the water. It's ultra, ultra strong - you could probably have supports made of the same material every 8 feet or so. It would be hard to see even you were actually in the pool.

He's really dark and mysterious, and he probably gets laid a lot.

But I don't believe he's actually the lord. I mean, The J Man wouldn't come back as a tool magician, would he?
T.I.N.S.

Water trick is easy; A sheet of glass/polycarbonate/acrylic just below the surface, supported by columns of same material. I think I saw Penn & Teller demonstrate that once.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

You do recognize that when it's a video, you can hire actors to pretend their clueless observers?

Dude, actors are convincing. These schmucks are far from being believable. You can hear how their oh my Gods, How did he do thats, and I can't believe its sound so fake.

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?

You do recognize that when it's a video, you can hire actors to pretend their clueless observers?

Dude, actors are convincing. These schmucks are far from being believable. You can hear how their oh my Gods, How did he do thats, and I can't believe its sound so fake.

I like it that there's some B actress dressed as a corporate chick who just happens to be walking down an alley. And then yes, the applause so scripted that it looks like it's by cue cards.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

You can hear how their oh my Gods, How did he do thats, and I can't believe its sound so fake.

That reminds me of one of my ex's. [:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The water one is done with glass support just under the water.

Levitation is fine wires.

Especially with levitation you have multiple takes with different methods and camera angles and the reaction shots you see are often not in context just to make it more convincing, for example the shots from the ground may not be the same take and method as the ones from the roof. From the ground they may see a guy with a crane above him and be watching out of curiosity (I probably would), then they switch to a reaction shot of someone who saw a convincing wire trick but in a different context and you assume the reaction is to the view you saw on video where he was in the wide open with no possible support but he wasn't (all the people who saw some freak hanging from a crane aren't interviewed).

And of course some of the spectators are plants. In the pool scene for example the spectators in the pool near Chris will be plants, the woman who swims under him is a plant, the people out of the pool will just be gullible observers.

You can be sure Chris Angel uses plants. Here's a good example, the glass slides to move a section with a hole behind the paper, the signs which appear to be stuck to the glass aren't:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u2jojj05eI

The setup involved creating a hollow section of wall beneath the glass (and above), the storefront has been extensively modified. At a MINIMUM the guy in the room is a plant, but probably 3-4 are plants (if they touched the glass they'd feel it slide).

It's best not to ask how, you'll have more fun watching the tricks, just don't buy his supernatural B.S. he's just another magician.

Check out this guy Marco Tempest
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=virtualmagician

He's much more fun! He has a bunch of tricks filmed by phone camera that are very cool. Also a bunch of stuff he did on japanese TV. Here's two of my favorites....Check them out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOyUbPNtuZw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQus5vClncA

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

The levitation thing is ridiculous - we've seen enough people hanging in a harness to recognize that posture. You can also see him swing just slightly in spots. He's obviously never PLF'd.

That's what I'd call a very good crane operator, 20 extras, and one brother in law who's good with video editing.

Walking on water is an acrylic bridge built to be just under the surface of the water. It's ultra, ultra strong - you could probably have supports made of the same material every 8 feet or so. It would be hard to see even you were actually in the pool.

He's really dark and mysterious, and he probably gets laid a lot.

But I don't believe he's actually the lord. I mean, The J Man wouldn't come back as a tool magician, would he?

:o

You know that Chuck Norris is going to eat you for that.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I worked on the movie "What Dreams May Come" way back in 97. We consrtucted a platform that had ballast tanks and anchors and submerged it just below the surface of a lake to allow Robin Williams to walk on water. It was really cool to see someone out in the middle of a lake, just walking around. Never saw the shot in the movie though...too bad.

I have got to make me a poolof that:D:D:D

You're an ordained minister now, right? So you call it a "baptismal pool" and it's a tax deduction. Or is the tax situation different in Oz?

Levitation-in this illusion, Kriss Angel uses several strands of 100lb acrylic fish line to "levitate" him via a crane while wearing a bodysuit. Note that you never see more then 15' above him. Shot on digital video, covering up any light reflections is very easy.
Also, what gives it away is the fact that he's motionless (probably scared to death of a malfunction.) If he were really that confident (and actually levitating,) he would pretend to fly or move about for dramatic impact.

Walking on water - This time, he uses the usual ruses of a surprised audience (all confederates used to heighten viewer reaction) and, of all people, the cameraman in the water. There are two plexiglass platforms Angel steps on. As Angel steps, our crafty cameraman looks like he's angling for the shot but in reality he is repositiong the step, which is clearly visible in person but masked by the water when shot on video. These steps have a handle sticking out which permits the cameraman to move it without reaching (all underwater of course.) Keep in mind that all his stunts are carefully choreographed using passersby as "ruses" to heighten the effect and add legitimacy. He's a crafty cat, I mean, angel.
Formerly Hipwrddude

I love hearing you guys speculate how this shit works! Good stuff.

Honestly though, why do you want to know how it works? Believe me - most of the methods behind these illusions aren't nearly as glamorous or spectacular as you may think. Usually when people find out how magic is done they are pretty disappointed. It totally ruins the experience.

Oh and Criss Angel.. he's pretty terrible. I will say that he used the cameras and his 'spectators' to his advantage in just about everything you see him do.

Honestly though, why do you want to know how it works?

Hey, it's just like how us men like to know how a vagina works so that we can give our women hours of stimulation and pleasure instead of doing a 2 minute deed and falling asleep on top of them. :S

hahahahaha that was pretty good, I almost started to believe it. :D

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?