bloody_trauma

OMFG!!!!!!!

A lighter alloy means less unsprung weight, which means faster acceleration.

Unsprung weight has nothing to do with it. A lighter tire and wheel assembly will reduce the rotational mass, and it will be easier to make it accelerate, but it has nothing to do with it being unsprung weight.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

A lighter alloy means less unsprung weight, which means faster acceleration.

Unsprung weight has nothing to do with it. A lighter tire and wheel assembly will reduce the rotational mass, and it will be easier to make it accelerate, but it has nothing to do with it being unsprung weight.

Caught me, I used the wrong term there. I'll edit it.

EDIT: Guess not, forgot about the stupid editing time limit.
cavete terrae.

Its true but its so minimal its not worth a wank on a road car. Aluminium wheels are good more for on race cars where you get heat exchange and disapation. The wheel acts like a heat sink. Also with custom wheels you can pick whatever is specific for your needs size wise. We used to run 10" diameter wheels with a width of 9" on our racing minis B|. Also putting on bigger diameter wheels without adjusting the final drive ratio will make you accelerate slower. Something that all the boy racers around the world don't seem to realise :S

Always be cautious when fucking around with your suspension unless you are really redoing everything with custom parts as you will totally ruin the geometry. ie by lowering the car, even using proper coilovers you are altering the angle of the driveshafts and they will lose their efficiancy and put greater strain on the joints. When you got a torquey engine you wont want that.

The only way to truly mod a car for the best is to have a bare shell and start the build from scratch. Moving everything. Everything else is just a compromise and you're just playing. Either buy a better car to start with or get to work on that engine! :P

EDIT: Heres one I made earlier (background)

Its true but its so minimal its not worth a wank on a road car. Aluminium wheels are good more for on race cars where you get heat exchange and disapation. The wheel acts like a heat sink. Also with custom wheels you can pick whatever is specific for your needs size wise. We used to run 10" diameter wheels with a width of 9" on our racing minis B|. Also putting on bigger diameter wheels without adjusting the final drive ratio will make you accelerate slower. Something that all the boy racers around the world don't seem to realise :S

Always be cautious when fucking around with your suspension unless you are really redoing everything with custom parts as you will totally ruin the geometry. ie by lowering the car, even using proper coilovers you are altering the angle of the driveshafts and they will lose their efficiancy and put greater strain on the joints. When you got a torquey engine you wont want that.

The only way to truly mod a car for the best is to have a bare shell and start the build from scratch. Moving everything. Everything else is just a compromise and you're just playing. Either buy a better car to start with or get to work on that engine! :P

Bigger diameter wheels won't change the acceleration in terms of the final drive unless you don't put on lower aspect ratio tyres. If you keep the overall diameter the same, there won't be an effect beyond the weight reduction.

The suspension geometry on the car I'm getting isn't going to change much. 20mm at the most.

I'm buying as good of a car to start with as I can afford, and that's a damned sight better than most of the cars out there. Boxer powerplant (naturally balanced, low centre of gravity), turbocharged, all wheel drive with rear wheel bias under nominal traction conditions, manual transmission. What's not to like?

As for working on the engine, I'm not touching the power until I can push the car to the absolute limit of what it can do with stock power. THEN I'll add power.

The bare shell rubbish is out of the question for a daily-driven car, and that's what this will be.
cavete terrae.

Sounds like you got a good build plan, wish I had a budget like yours :P Failing that... you could always build a spaceframe. I dare ya! Mwahaha.

Budget isn't actually all that high, it'll just be done over time.

In my "ideal" world I'd just buy an Impreza WRC from Prodrive and call it a day :D
cavete terrae.

I've got a 4WD Octavia now and although its only got a modest 150BHP currently (Will be hiked to 220BHP) its good fun :ph34r: Just have to turn all the traction control/ESP shit off (which induces massive understeer I swear its more dangerous having it on) and then it lets you play

The reason it understeers so much is because it shares a chassis with the Bora, Golf, Beetle, and TT. Engine is just too goddamned far forward relative to the axle. You can get a Haldex controller for the centre differential too. All the power goes to the front wheels until they physically slip with the factory centre diff programming. Slap a 28mm rear antiroll bar and a 23mm front on there, it'll fix that understeer right up ;)

cavete terrae.

Isn't she gorgoeus! (I don't know why the camera done that)

I got a VRS bumper and spoiler here waiting for paint. I just can't be arsed to get it done right now. Its only cosmetic. But I am getting it remapped. Been quoted 220BHP which will obv be tested on the rolling road. Not having some nob-end with a laptop doing it if they cant test it.

The understeer I can live with because if you turn all the electric shit off and accelerate through a corner (as you should anyway) it grips firm and squats and as you say, you can feel the rear take over more with the power delivery and it pushes you towards the apex B| I love it, but its all ready got me 3 points on my licence >:(

And also it helps to stop a little quicker too.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Ya think maybe your calming manner may have contributed:D:D
You may want to have someonelse explain target fixation to her too;)

yep ill second that

Pfft. She should get used to pressure.

Or she should dump the husband and get someone who's not being a jerk when she's trying to learn something.

Tough crowd!
If you can't live without me, why aren't you dead already?

Sorry Bub. That was your fault.

You put a newbie driver in your car and expected her to perform perfectly?

Brilliant!

Even worse, you are angry at a newbie driver for making a newbie driver mistake.

We need more information.

1) What was she loading the car at?
2) How many drives did she have?
3) Was the spare tire and the airbag in date?
4) Did the car have an RSL?
5) What was the year the car was manufactured?
6) You said she didn't have a license. Does this mean is on student status?
7) What level was she on?
8) What method of training was she getting and where?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Sorry Bub. That was your fault.

You put a newbie driver in your car and expected her to perform perfectly?

Brilliant!

Even worse, you are angry at a newbie driver for making a newbie driver mistake.

We need more information.

1) What was she loading the car at?
2) How many drives did she have?
3) Was the spare tire and the airbag in date?
4) Did the car have an RSL?
5) What was the year the car was manufactured?
6) You said she didn't have a license. Does this mean is on student status?
7) What level was she on?
8) What method of training was she getting and where?

You forgot to ask question #9... was she wearing her freely chosen genital piercing?

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...