Chris-Ottawa

VISO is here???

Hey everyone,

I know this has been heavily discussed but the VISO looks to be released. I am curious if the masses like it and what some pros/cons are?

I am looking to buy one but want to see what kind of stuff the real life field says about the unit.

Also, if anyone has final specs on what it really does, that would be sweet too. I looked at the website and it seems to suit what I want it for, but apparently it has changed and I don't know if the website reflects the changes.

(I also don't have the option of demoing the unit either)

Thanks SOOO Much!

Chris
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Is it still going to be both an audible and a visual. Obviously it can't function as an audible while in free fall, and still be viewable, but I wonder if it will do canopy alarms like the optima?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Yeah, I know alot of people were mad about that, but considering the price, you can't go wrong. I'm fine with it being purely Visible. I'm mostly interested in the logging features.

Why would I buy a protrack for 250 when I can get the same thing plus a visible alti for 169?

I just got my VISO about 2 weeks ago and I've put 25 or so jumps on it.
Pros:
It works. It seems very reliable and accurate. The time/speed functions are pretty neat tool for monitoring your swoops. I'm not sure exactly how accurate the canopy speeds are. I was able to hit 84mph SAS under a JVX 80 at 2.0... seems a bit high to me.
Cons:
It comes with a crappy little wrist mount, not the hand mount shown in all of the advictisiments, and even on the outside of the packaging when you buy it. It is MUCH harder to set up and use than a neptune. It took me over an hour to figure out how to set the time and date. Once you figure out how the thing works it's not so bad, but they really could've done a better job with the interfaces and menus. I put my viso in a Protektor because I need it to be waterproof and I find that it's pretty tough to read through the clear rubber screen protector. It is also much more prone to glare than the neptune. If money is not a factor I would have just bought another neptune for an audible, but for the price the VISO is worth it to me. I trust that it will be backed with the same great customer service as other L&B products and that it will hold up through many many jumps.
Egad, A BASE life defiles a bad age.

No it is a visual only.

That is really a bummer.... I am going to have to think about it now.. I have been waiting for it as its been adverted as an audible. Wanted it for in the helmet while wingsuiting so I can get the Freefall Speed and Times and not spend as much for a neptune.. I guess I could mount it and use it as a visual and get the readings while still using my Pro Dytter in the helmet.. OR just break down and get a Neptune...... I need to think on it..

SOOOO????? Is it really released now and something I can decide on ASAP????

Scott C.

Damn, I thought it would be the perfect fit for what I was looking for.....
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I couldn't figure out why there's so much confusion about the features of the new L&B products, so I did some looking.

It was originally advertised as having swoop alarms... no mention of freefall alarms, but it was referred to as "the perfect visual AND audible solution for skydivers. VISO will sound warning alarms while setting up in your optimum swoop corridor even when it's mounted on the hand, ring cover, chest mount or leg mount."

http://web.archive.org/web/20050216013240/http://www.l-and-b.dk/viso.html (Feb 2005).

Same page now: http://www.l-and-b.dk/viso.html

Maybe they couldn't get it loud enough? They added logging, which wasn't originally a feature.

Dave

If you want the freefall speed and times, why not just get a ProTrack?

The protrack doesn't log a long wingsuite flight.

L&B's idea is that you use a VISO or Alti-Track for logbook and altimeter together with an SOLO or Optima for an audible.

Even with a neptune, one would still want two units, one in the helmet and one on the hand/chest.

I'm not allowed to do hook-turns yet, but from what I've heard of the people that do, the optima has allowed them to stop looking at the altimeter when landing, thus having more concentration on the rest of their environment.

I'm not allowed to do hook-turns yet, but from what I've heard of the people that do, the optima has allowed them to stop looking at the altimeter when landing, thus having more concentration on the rest of their environment.

Sure, but you can have canopy alarms with Neptune also.

Doesn't the Neptune just have fixed heights that it beeps at while the Optima has its "unique sequence of beeps to assist entering optimum swoop corridor" to quote L&B's website?

Doesn't the Neptune just have fixed heights that it beeps at while the Optima has its "unique sequence of beeps to assist entering optimum swoop corridor" to quote L&B's website?

The Neptune also has the ability to change/add/remove/enhance features with a free software update. Right *now* the Neptune has fixed altitude alarms and quiet canopy alarm volume, but who knows what the future holds? ;)

~ Lara

ps - Oops, I didn't mean to hijack this thread, just saw the Neptune question and had to reply! The rusty old brain doesn't work well before noon :S

The Neptune also has the ability to change/add/remove/enhance features with a free software update. Right *now* the Neptune has fixed altitude alarms and quiet canopy alarm volume, but who knows what the future holds? ;)

I'm still waiting for customizable mp3 ringtones :ph34r:

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The guide tones is a really annoying feature of the Optima. I disabled it on mine. You don't have to go very fast for it to flat line.

Personally I have had nothing but bad reviews about Neptunes. I'm very interested in buying a VISO because I like the look of the digital display better for swooping. Audible alarms for swooping just get me confused because there are so many different variables to take into account. I like to judge for myself whether I need to slow down or speed up my turn to get to where I need to be in case I couldn't set up perfectly.

Hopefully L&B get it right in the first place instead of offering a bunch of updates to make their product work correctly.

I don't see how the guide tones could possibly be for swooping. If you are going very fast at all the guide tone is just one long loud beep. I don't swoop much under a Sabre 2 150 loaded at 1.2 and it doesn't take much for me to flat line the guide tones.

I have a Neptune for a visual altimeter and am very happy with it. I keep up to date and have had very few minor problems.

Hey Lara,

That is one feature that makes me want to buy the Neptune. If the VISO had that, I would probably have on already, but I'm trying to make the best decision.

I've also had people say that L&B support is just as good as Alti2 but you have to send it out of country..Bummer.

Is there going to be a revision to the Neptune anytime soon, like anything in the works after a bunch of field testing. Like a Neptune V2.0, or is eveything that was an issue resolved from the software side?

The update factor of the Neptune is weighted VERY heavy in my books as that is a priceless feature.

Maybe I'll have to wait and test both when someone gets a VISO on my DZ....

And maybe, just maybe, Alti2 will try to compete with the VISO price and knock a few bucks off to make the Neptune a more viable solution? (Not trying to be cheap, but I would already have a Neptune if it wasn't $80 more, plus exchange rates into Canada). I already use a Galaxy and love it, but I think it's time for a digital. I really want a neptune, but don't want to pay over $300 CDN to get one if I can get a very similar unit for about $100 less.

Any specials going on??? Heheh, sorry, it's worth a try!

Hi Chris!

L&B support is fantastic, no matter where in the world you are. Their reputation and quality of service makes us reach higher, I hope we can do the same for them. It's fun to compete with a company that's so easy to respect. On that note, I regret using a thread about their product to talk about Neptune but I do want to reply to your post - chalk it up to an early morning mistake, getting involved here in the first place!

There will always be an upcoming revision to the Neptune. The sport grows so quickly that we'll always have new ideas and features, not to mention new technologies that allow us to do more. To be less vague, we do have some specific things cooking at the moment, but to stay vague, I'll leave it at that.

I understand about price concerns - have you looked for a used Neptune? It would be nice to lower prices, but they've actually stayed at the promotional introductory price since they were introduced 3 years ago. Contrary to popular opinion, we don't get boards for 10 cents from China or Taiwan, and everything is hand built in our factory in Florida. I'm not getting sucked into a debate about global economics, so don't anyone try. :P If we can lower costs, we definitely will, but as far as I know, the price will be the same for the time being.

Any other questions, please feel free to call, e-mail or IM me - or start a new thread!

~ Lara

ps - for a list of all software revisions, check out the version history

Thanks for the reply.

I was fully aware of the updates and now that I'm really looking hard into this I'm starting to lean towards the Neptune again. The thing I REEEEEELY like is the updates. I mean once you buy the VISO, that's it, it'll never have a new feature. I do like the fact that the VISO logs the speeds differently. Like I'm interested in the canopy speeds that the VISO records which afaik, the Neptune does not. (Recommendation?)

I don't know what to do!

Oh, and far as a used neptune...hmmm. I would be worried about the "usage" of the previous owner. If it wasn't a sensitive electronic device, i wouldn't care, but it is and it's something I rely on to know when to pull. And yess, I can judge altitude visually and I'm sure it would be fine...until I entered the only cloud in the sky. Scary!

And I wasn't saying you should ower your prices because they're too high, or that the VISO is cheaper and does the same things, because it doesn't. I would have no problem payingfor the Neptune, I'm just trying to weigh what device would suit my needs more.

Thanks