FlyinDawg

Skydiving is safer than riding a horse?

Since there's a post about safer than driving. I'm post new poll to see if skydiving is safer than riding a horse.

I'm sayin Yes! I rode many time on my sister's horses. I don't feel so fuckin' safe on horse. I kept almost fell off and I can image my ribs will be broken if i fell off and flip on the ground!
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

"To understand is to forgive, even oneself."

Good comparison,

I voted yes skydiving is safer IMO but as much as it depends on where you jump out of a plane, that determines how safe it is. It depends on which horse and where you ride it as well.

if you include the punter, 'not even allowed to trot' tourist horse rides then I would definitely have voted no.

I got thrown off a horse once, but I have also been in some nasty turbulence!

Keep safe,

Rhyso
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I know horseback riding is at the top of the list of sports-with-the-most-injuries, along with volleyball and basketball. The total NUMBER of injuries is much greater, but so is the number of participants, and the injuries are generally not as serious. So depending on how you want to read these stats, yeah it's more dangerous.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I know horseback riding is at the top of the list of sports-with-the-most-injuries, along with volleyball and basketball. The total NUMBER of injuries is much greater, but so is the number of participants, and the injuries are generally not as serious. So depending on how you want to read these stats, yeah it's more dangerous.

You can get pretty seriously hurt on the horse.

The day I was carted off the to ER after falling off my 'iron' horse, 30 minutes after me came someone who fell off the horse while going along a singletrack on a steep hill. In the long term, I'm not sure if her injuries were worse than mine, but she definitely was in much worse immediate condition in terms of mental capacity and pain level.

Compared to my motorcycle, sitting on the saddle of a horse feels really far up there.

Lets start one of these threads for all of the possible combinations:

Is skydiving safer than midget wrestling.
Is skydiving safer then swordfighting
Is skydiving safer than the 25 buck hooker down town.
Is skydiving safer than being an African missionary.
Is skydiving safer than the missionary position.
Is skyding safer than being a African midget wrestler who swordfights on sunday and moonlights as a missionary.

:S:ph34r:

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I've hurt myself horse riding.

I haven't hurt myself skydiving.

I haven't really done much skydiving I spose, but I've done even less horse riding. Maybe I am just less crap at one than the other.

*shrug* I'm not sure what the point of this is.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Since there's a post about safer than driving. I'm post new poll to see if skydiving is safer than riding a horse.

reply]

depends on if its a HP horse or not ...and have you taken a horse control class from a properly rated coach .

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

I do both, currently own 2 horses, a paint that I used to barrel race on and a young quarter horse that is my daughters. My horses are incredibly spoiled and I see them more as 4 legged children. My paint who is approaching 16yrs old is a tee total handful, nothing but a very expierenced rider can ride her period. I usually choose to ride her bareback with either just a halter and leadrope or her bridle. I know her very well and know her "I'm about to flip out" signals. I also know she would never intentionally hurt me, however she is still an animal. I have been hurt several times by horses growing up, I have been riding since before I could walk. 90% of the times that I got hurt I can chalk it upto me just being stupid or complacent.... I have only have had one injury from skydiving, it was also caused by me being stupid. Moral of my long winded story is this.... alot of accidents can be avoided, just don't be stoopid. (Thats asking alot of some people):D

skydiving - one brain bucket making decisions

Only if you do solos, what about all us other retards hanging out in the sky with you. :ph34r:
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

So I get on this horse one day in an indoor arena. I try to make it canter and the person who was taking care of the horse says ... " Bet you can't make it do that"

Well, I thought otherwise and was determined to make it canter. and sure enough, a little persuasion and into a nice little trot we go. All smug with a big grin I look over all proud since the stubborn horse easily submitted to the persuasion to run a little.

... and then... it starts running I try to slow it down and it said "no" in horse. Pulling on the reigns did nothing but piss off the horse. I began to squeeze the horse to stay on it since it is an arena and going around corners and falling off and slamming into the ground and fence seemed like a painful action.

I now pass the person and they are smiling big since I no longer have any control of the horse and it's running fast... like a race horse.

One the next lap I hear a loud... "RELAX YOUR LEGS"

Against every ounce of survival instinct, I released the leg grip and managed to pull back the reigns a little and it slowed down and finally walked.

After getting off the horse she said relieved and laughing ... “Now you know why I said you better not do that”. I think back to when she told me “I bet you can't do that “..... and realize my error.

Remember that part about the race horse? It was on the tracks less than 6 months prior. I had no Idea it was anything more than a school horse or personally owned recreational type horse. Squeezing the legs against it's ribs is a queue to make it run... and that's exactly what it did.

I vote in that particular instance, versus a standard on target no pressure skydive that riding a horse is more dangerous.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Lets start one of these threads for all of the possible combinations:

Is skydiving safer than midget wrestling.
Is skydiving safer then swordfighting
Is skydiving safer than the 25 buck hooker down town.
Is skydiving safer than being an African missionary.
Is skydiving safer than the missionary position.
Is skyding safer than being a African midget wrestler who swordfights on sunday and moonlights as a missionary.

:S:ph34r:

hahahahahahahahahahahahah!!! :D:D:D

I was thinking similar thoughts.

I'm sayin Yes! I rode many time on my sister's horses. I don't feel so fuckin' safe on horse. I kept almost fell off and I can image my ribs will be broken if i fell off and flip on the ground!

Well, when you say safer are you talking about broken ribs or the possibility of dying? I've been thrown from a horse before (nothing broken) and I've broken bones in skydiving. So what? There are so many variables involved. Does an inexperienced rider on a highly strung racehorse compare to a 70 jump wonder at a 1.5 WL? Is a horse who kicks you in the jaw comparable to an elliptical with a spinning mal?

You may not have noticed that while a horse is high off the ground, if you fall off you don't reach terminal velocity by the time you hit :S

Sure you can break bones horseriding, and you can even die if really unlucky, but there is no way you can convince me that skydiving is safer.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

When I was in the third grade I was thrown from a horse and broke both arms, first day of summer vacation. I have never broken a bone skydiving so in my personal opinion and experience, yes skydiving is safer so far.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

ONe of my best friends is a 3rd Generation Undertaker / Funeral Director. He also is deputy Coroner of his county.
He told me that he learned "HORSE RACING" is the number one fatality sport. Skydiving is second.

Its either you are "doing fine" in the Sport...... or you get Seriously hurt / ....usually Fatal.
High Speed...Low Drag

Sure you can break bones horseriding, and you can even die if really unlucky

I know a few unlucky people. Try having the horse fall on top of you. I know a few such 'unlucky' people. Similarly ATVs are generally less inclined to fall over than motorbikes, but the extra weight does more damage.

Overall I'm inclined to think that riding horses is safer than skydiving, and that riding motorbikes or ATVs is about the same risk as skydiving.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

It might be a shaggy dog, but I thought fishing was the most dangerous sport. Freezing to death after falling asleep night fishing, slipping in and drowning , having your waders fill up with water and drag you off down stream, catching Wiells disease from sitting around in rat piss, drinking too much beer and falling of the boat, pissing of that big white bastard that lives near Amity beach, and best of all sticking a 30 ft dripping wet carbon fibre fishing pole into high voltage power lines. On balance I'd rather ride a horse to the DZ.
Better drowned than duffers. If not duffers, won't drown.