kallend

It was forty years ago today..

Ha! CREAM played at my college end-of-year ball, 1967.

And Richie Havens came to my high school and jammed for awhile in 1971 :ph34r:,

In 1967 I was just finishing 7th grade, probably the most miserable year of my life.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

When Rubber Soul came out, they looked kinda scraggly....But when I opened up Sgt Peppers and saw them with those mustaches, now that was cool!
I think that was one of the first to have a center gatefold, and the first to have the lyrics printed on the cover...

Soon to follow was Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Cream, Moby Grape, Quicksilver's Messenger Service, Country Joe and the Fish...what an awesome summer! I was too young to participate in the 'summer of love' but once out of high school tried to make up for lost time....heheheh!

mp

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

Well, actually it was forty years ago Friday.

Sargeant Pepper taught the band to play.

What were you doing?

Listening to the STONESB|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I was 15 years old. Kicked out of school at easter for the remainder of the year for having long hair and being too "disruptive". Bought Sgt. Pepper in monaural lp format. Never heard it in stereo until a couple years ago when I finally bought it on a CD.

Awesome album.

Somewhere I came across this listing of the original order of tracks which differs slightly from the order on the album. Don't know why it was changed. I have it set up as a playlist in iTunes...

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
With A Little Help From My Friends
Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!
Fixing A Hole
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
Getting Better
She's Leaving Home
Within You Without You
When I'm Sixty-Four
Lovely Rita
Good Morning Good Morning
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
A Day In The Life
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

What were you doing?

Sophomore year at Northwestern.

If you really remember everything that went on, you weren't part of the scene!

Remember Dow Chemical's motto: "Better Living Through Chemistry?"
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

Well, actually it was forty years ago Friday.

Sargeant Pepper taught the band to play.

What were you doing?

I was just learning to walk and talk. And my mom (like so many people after her), from then on, wished that I'd sit down and shut up.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I wasn't born until 1973. But I first got into the Beatles in about 1985. My parents rented a video - "The Compleat Beatles." I watched it and was blown away by all of the songs I recognized and loved. I knew who McCartney was - that guy who did "No Mor eLonely Nights" and "Ebony and Ivory."

I started buying Beatle albums while everyone else was buying other things. I had, at that point, grown tired of Top 40 radio. I found an oldies station - KRTH 101.1 FM, and started listening to that.

I soon got in to other music - mainly late 60's and 70's. Nobody else who who Zeppelin or Alice Cooper were. They knew who "Yes" was but had no idea about their previous catalogue.

In a way, it's pretty wierd for me to look at the impact of Sgt. Pepper because I'd already heard some weird stuff. When the album's been around for 15 years before I ever heard it, it tends to make things more remote.

It isn't even my favorite Beatle album (Abbey Road takes that honor.) But it's an amazing album.
None of my other friends were listening to it or were into them. The

My wife is hotter than your wife.

US Air Force Active Duty, got drafted by the Army so I Enlisted in the Air Force---something about a war in Southeast Asia.

first time I smoked marijuana was in the barracks
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.