Stevetaylor

Gloves

Hi All,

Stupid newbie question here. I've seen some divers wearing gloves (even in warm-to-hot conditions) and others not. Those who do, say they like them; those that don't, say that they perfer not to.

Other than personal preference, are there any advantages/disadvantages to wearing gloves other than in winter?

Steve;)
The definition of insanity is to keep doing things the same way, but then to expect different results. -Einstein

Other than personal preference, are there any advantages/disadvantages to wearing gloves other than in winter?

Advantages:
Avoid little rashes to your hands from exit.
Better grip.
For competition provides easy to see grips for judges.

Disadvantages:
Harder to feel for handles. There have been accidents where people had problems...I had a mal where I had to pull my glove off to feel for the handle....Long story, but if with the glove I could not find the handle, so I had to take the glove off to find it and pull it. For that reason, I don't wear gloves on tandems since I can't SEE the handles.

I also know a fatality of a friend that the gloves played a part...He could have prevented it, but without the gloves it would have not been an issue.

My thoughts, don't jump gloves until you have a good number of jumps. Even then start with the "summer weight" which are very thin.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

They can help to prevent 'raspberries' on your hands in the event of a bad landing.

of course a proper PLF even in with a 'bad landing' will prevent nearly all injury to your hands.... ;)

I wear receivers gloves (football) for the grip and minor warmth at altitude. Easier to hold on the the plane before exit, and less wear and tear on my hands when I get on the rears.

Its also a comfort thing for me, when I jump without them it just doesnt feel right. So even on those HOT days, gloves are on.
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

I find that if I wear gloves in the warm weather,that when the time comes that you do need gloves,you are already acclimated to the feel of wearing them.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

They can help to prevent 'raspberries' on your hands in the event of a bad landing.

of course a proper PLF even in with a 'bad landing' will prevent nearly all injury to your hands.... ;)

Most of the bad landings I've seen, did not involve a 'proper PLF'! :D Most of them were fairly ugly.

Chuck

Hands are not one of the 5 contact points of a PLF.

I also know a fatality of a friend that the gloves played a part...He could have prevented it, but without the gloves it would have not been an issue.

Ron, sorry to hear about your friend.
Even if this is not Incidents, could you please elaborate on this? I'm one of those that jumps with gloves even in 100+ temps, and I'd like to learn from this if possible; otherwise, sorry I asked.
Johan.
I am. I think.

Ron, sorry to hear about your friend.
Even if this is not Incidents, could you please elaborate on this? I'm one of those that jumps with gloves even in 100+ temps, and I'd like to learn from this if possible; otherwise, sorry I asked.

I have no problem talking about it....People need to learn from these accidents.

Here

Anytime you add something to a skydive, you also add a potential problem. There have been cases of people not being able to feel handles (I'm one), and gloves getting caught on things.

It is manageable, but it must be managed.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

which is why i pointed out that a proper PLF will prevent nearly all hand injuries...

but even outside of skydiving, every time I see someone reach for the ground when they fall i wish aikido, judo, some sort of basic fall training was mandatory in grade school....

which is why i pointed out that a proper PLF will prevent nearly all hand injuries...

but even outside of skydiving, every time I see someone reach for the ground when they fall i wish aikido, judo, some sort of basic fall training was mandatory in grade school....

Would you please demonstrate and video a "Proper PLF", for a canopy Traveling ACROSS the grounds at 30km per hour:|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

couple of options there.. some favor the slide (still NEVER reach with your hands)

I favor the the roll.. same basic action and points of contact as a PLF, but requires SIGNIFICANTLY more practice at 'being round' however...

nothing really difficult about either IF you practice (" WHAT!?!? practice falling? why should i do that? why dont i practice NOT falling instead...[:/]) and IF you are always prepared to perform them..

still wanna bet that more than half the currently active skydivers couldnt do EITHER well if their lives depended on it? (and some day it might)

Not directed at Ron just adding my .02 to his post.

Gloves are like any other added piece of equipment and must be trained on before use.

I made my first jump with gloves (military FJC) and did preactices in full kit many times before each jump. Plus every day we hada weather hold we wouold practice or dirt dive in full kit.

To me Gloves are a "comfort" item and I feel "off" with out them now. I have never had a problem but some have. Ensure they are fitted to you hand and not so worn out to be an issue, just like a closing loop!
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I haven't been wearing gloves the last few weeks because it has been out of hand in the warm weather department and I have noticed that my hands are getting beat up quite a bit more. I prefer no gloves for the feel on my risers when swooping too but looking at how beat my first pair of gloves got, I am glad that it wasn't my skin that was being worn off.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka