TallGuy

No more Boobies!!!

I've become aware of a rather troublesome trend in our community. Skydivers are becoming more and more inhibited at social gatherings.

As an example. I hosted a jello wrestling competition at a boogie this past weekend. As I attempted to get people to participate I kept hearing the same thing. "I would but there will be too many people taking pictures. I don't want that to end up on the Internet." Here is a person who wanted to join in on the fun and have a good time but they opted not to because they were concerned that observers couldn't be trusted not to display or distribute evidence of their actions to people they may not want to see them.

They were right. Upon starting the event. I requested that everyone put their cameras away so their friends could feel free to cut loose. But the onlookers couldn't be persuaded.

On a couple of earlier occasion during a tradition called "naked on the numbers" where several people covered a couple numbers on the ground (at an undisclosed location) head to toe, naked. Some clothed individuals who didn't want to participate properly came out with cameras flashing and video rolling, They even hid the participants clothing. Now don't get me wrong I've certainly made jokes at another's expense and have played many pranks expecting the same in return. I'm even guilty of having a cam out at the wrong time before I had thought it through. But it seems like people are perhaps going too far and detracting from the fun.

So now I'm questioning the values and integrity of the people I know and love. And I'd like to know your opinion. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding their motivations? Or maybe like I did, they simply haven't thought it through properly?

I wonder if they are putting their desire to record and distribute titillating memories ahead of their friends' desire to enjoy themselves in a low or no consequence environment. If so as a community should we be encouraging, discouraging, or ignoring this behavior?

Before you answer you might want to consult with someone who was in skydiving before digital video and photography became so common (if you don't already have first hand knowledge). Ask them what the parties were like back then. Do they feel we are more or less reserved and why they think that is.

I think we may be cheating ourselves. Media is nice but I'd rather fill my head with memories of my friends living life to the fullest than fill my scrapbook with anything less.

I'm with you. I think cameras should have a curfew at skydiver parties. Get the pieings and the stupid (clothed) human tricks out of the way early, then require that everyone either put them away or leave. Anyone caught taking pictures of nekkid shenanigans without the explicitly stated permission of the subjects should get their ass kicked. Parties are much tamer in recent years, and I absolutely think cameras have played a role (in addition to us attracting more and more pansy asses via AFF and tandems).

Naked on the numbers was fun, and the crew there definitely made it clear that pictures were not allowed. ;)

Blues,
Dave

"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

There is a lot to be said for that...

My wife is a professional pilot, I'm a professional air show performer and we, for obvious career considerations, NEVER get photographed drinking...it a pain in the ass, but 'these days' a necessary rule. :|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I've become aware of a rather troublesome trend in our community. Skydivers are becoming more and more inhibited at social gatherings.

They were right. Upon starting the event. I requested that everyone put their cameras away so their friends could feel free to cut loose. But the onlookers couldn't be persuaded.

So now I'm questioning the values and integrity of the people I know and love. And I'd like to know your opinion. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding their motivations? Or maybe like I did, they simply haven't thought it through properly?

Before you answer you might want to consult with someone who was in skydiving before digital video and photography became so common (if you don't already have first hand knowledge). Ask them what the parties were like back then. Do they feel we are more or less reserved and why they think that is.

My my my......maybe Sparky was on to something over in Skydiving.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

The problem I see with your Poll.. Is a DZ After Hours really a "Public Place"??

If I see someone walking down the street nekkid or hanging out in wallmart.. Damn Right I think I have right to take pictures.. They rea in Public.

But the real question should be is the DZ after Hours really Public?? I generally consider it private party for Skydivers and invited Wuffo`s. And Absolutely.. Privacy should be respected. If someone doesnt want photos taken, Put the camera away.

The problem I see with your Poll.. Is a DZ After Hours really a "Public Place"??

If I see someone walking down the street nekkid or hanging out in wallmart.. Damn Right I think I have right to take pictures.. They rea in Public.

But the real question should be is the DZ after Hours really Public?? I generally consider it private party for Skydivers and invited Wuffo`s. And Absolutely.. Privacy should be respected. If someone doesnt want photos taken, Put the camera away.

Excellent distinction. I guess for the most part I think the courtesy should be extended in public as well. For example I don't think it's right to take pictures of unsuspecting sunbathers at a beach either without permission. But that's a broader topic best left for another post.

:o
Political correctness for skydivers???? Oh the shame of it all!

Low blow calling me PC.

But I'll play along. Perhaps I am being too uptight by wanting my friends to have an environment where they can feel comfortable getting buck wild and naked.:S

Good post. I agree that the cameras should be put away. Shame on those who film someone who is intoxicated,etc. Nude or not. What happens at a boogie or dz party should stay there.

On a side note, I would like to thank all the ladies who share their beauty with us.

Travel light and leave the cameras at home folks.:)

Good post. I agree that the cameras should be put away. Shame on those who film someone who is intoxicated,etc. Nude or not. What happens at a boogie or dz party should stay there.

reply]

Thats the way it always used to be at boogies but what do I know I'm one of those old senile dinosaurs.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Most people on here know that I am more than willing to show off my rack, but I only do it when I know there will be no cameras around. And yes I was one of the girls that didn't want to jello wrestle b/c of all the cameras.

Cameras - video and still - are the reason that I did not do my 100th jump naked, haven't done any naked jumps, and why I won't get naked on a DZ.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I think the problem is less the cameras presence, and more the assholes who feel the need to post the media. I have several shots of being flashes in freefall, or when on the ground, but they are not for public consumption.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I hate people that ruin fun by busting out cameras at inappropriate times. I'm always careful before getting naked cause i don't need people taking video or pictures.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Cocheese, I did... She said you sucked! ;)

If you are evil, the boobs and bare arse will still shine! Camera's or no cameras.

Someone please PM me one picture or video that was taken at a skydiving event that is now outside of our circle. I think all you modest people are being over paranoid.

Sure there are pics of me scattered around doing crazy shat at boogies, but I've only seen them on skydiving based webpages... ie Hellfish, rodrigueze, etc.

edit:
I still think people should be polite about using cameras and video. Just throwing some realistic stuff out there. I once got my gf's rodriguez initiation video from someone talking to another dude about a cool video he had. I walked over there, looked and it was me and her... I was like dude, can I firewire that! :D

HYPOXIC

I'm very pleased to see that the grand majority of the people who have viewed this post are in favor of eliminating or controling the use of video and still cameras during after hour antics.

I had hoped to hear from someone who could make a compelling argument for why the cameras should be present at these times but perhaps there is none to be made?

It'd be interesting to know what the demographic is for those who voted. In particular I'm curious as to which way most of the lurkers voted. The practice indicates they are inclined to observe without contributing so I have my suspicions.

I guess what I'd like to see is more self-policing on this matter within the community. I honestly believe that many people don't understand how the presence of their camera is having a negative impact on their friends' ability to enjoy themselves. This is likely because their friends might opt to not tell them in order to avoid a confrontation or make themselves seem to uptight. Maybe if they had it calmly and rationally explained to them they'd understand how they would enjoy themselves more with the cameras put away.

It has occurred to me to have boogie type T-Shirts made regarding this topic. Perhaps a cartoon depicting someone putting on a show in a camera free crowd and everyone having a blast in one section. In another section show someone covering up and shying from the group as cameras flash away?

Sadly I'm not much of an artist. Maybe someone like steveorino or someone similarly talented would be up to the task?

The ladies have spoken guys. USPA statistics show that at most they are only 17% of our population. And I don't know about you but I think we need to make sure they feel comfortable around us. Don't mess it up for your buddies. Don't mess it up for yourself.

It has occurred to me to have boogie type T-Shirts made regarding this topic. Perhaps a cartoon depicting someone putting on a show in a camera free crowd and everyone having a blast in one section. In another section show someone covering up and shying from the group as cameras flash away?

That's a fantastic idea! Something witty but obvious(to drunks) would do the trick.

Not having been to the DZ much lately it doesn't matter to me one way or another, but logic states that if you wanna have a rip roaring party, leave the camera in the car.

|>.<|
Seriously, W.T.F. mate?

I would happily wear a shirt like that.