brierebecca

Do You Regret Any of Your Tattoos?

It seems like every time someone posts a picture of their new tattoo, someone posts: "You'll regret it someday" or "I wouldn't do anything so permanent" or something like that. My large, colorful tattoos make me happy. And after a while, you don't even notice they're there. They become a part of you. However, I have had one covered up (not really my style anymore, and I wanted something bigger and more colorful), and I try not to let anyone in my conservative office see them. I'm not ashamed of them, but more afraid of the older partners passing judgment. So I guess I haven't really experienced tattoo regret, but I have wanted something different (I wasn't unhappy with the one I covered up, but just wanted something more....purple), and I have made marked attempts to hide that I have them.

What do you think?

Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

I have a dragon around my left ankle, and my upper right arm is a sleeve of a phoenix (asian style, clouds, forget-me-not flowers, closing pin shape worked into the clouds). Next is my right shoulder, going to be a dragonfly with a waterfall and some wildflowers, very large.

My tattoos reflect me well, they are easy to cover if I chose to do so (like at work), but easy to show off when I want to as well :)
I admit the sleeve was a cover up for an impulse tatt that I got in FL from a less than skilled 'artist', but that's okay, it gave me an excuse to get a bigass tatt that I really like.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Sometime I wanted a tattoo when I was 17. I realize. I decide to not have one. Suppose I got one and more than 40-50years later and it faded color, ugly, and get tired of it. You wouldn't want removal to get ugliest scar.
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

"To understand is to forgive, even oneself."

I don't regret any of my tattoos or piercings (although you can remove piercings).

As I was searching for a job, I thought as a general rule, I should try to cover the tattoo I have on my ankle. I decided against it one day, walked in to the company with a cute, frilly, not too short dress, open-toed sandals, and my tattoo definitely visible. I walked out with a job, and as I sit at my desk, post-whoring on dz.com, the tattoo I thought I should hide is still in plain sight.

I usually don't regret anything... Live and let learn.

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

Nope, don't regret any of the five that I have. They are a part of me. Each and everyone I can tell you where and who did them and more importantly WHY I got them. It is my self expression towards life and the challenges and even the happiness I have come upon.

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

I have 2 tattoos and I certainly don't regret them. They are perfect for me and make me smile whenever I see them. Most people never notice them, unless I choose to show them off. When I had shorter hair the one on my upper back was more noticable, but I've always gotten compliments on it, even from coworkers.

Nope, no regrets - then again none of mine are 'impulse' tattoos they have all been for a specific reason.

In fact, I'm waiting on the design on my 3rd one.

It should be just as big as the Phoenix - I'll show you when the designs are done :)

Performance Designs Factory Team

I dont regret ant of my tattoo's each of them represents a period in my life or a personal belief and they are significant to me. I have worked in "professional" jobs for the last 15 years so there for I have my tattoo's placed where they can't be seen in my work attire. I'm currently working on the design for my next tattoo.

then again none of mine are 'impulse' tattoos

This is an interesting thought. The one I covered recently I guess I would consider an "impulse" tattoo. One I didn't really work on the design for or really consider what I wanted it to look like. I still like the concept (and actually the cover-up is the same idea, just a different design), but I didn't really consider how it would look in the end. I wonder if the people who change and cover their tattoos largely do so because they don't put a lot of effort and/or patience into choosing the final design.

Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

I have 6 tattoos and plans for more. I dont even slightly regret any of them. I put a lot of thought into my tattoos and I have a great relationship with my artist. I would never go pick something off the wall, maybe that's why I don't regret any of them.
I'm the twist that turns your key....

All Of mine were somewhat "impulse" tattoos.

The First one was definitely an Impulse. The next Couple were I was bored and somehow ended up at the Tattoo Place. (But The ideas were already bouncing around my head.. Just not really drawn out).

The last ones (the 3 Rings on my Chest) was pretty much a total Impulse.. Happened to be in Little 5 killing time.. Dropped by the Tat Shop and they were slow.. a Couple hours later I left with the 3 rings.
:)
I do have one Tatoo Idea that I have had Drawn out for years and just havent got around to getting it one. Maybe someday soon.

Only have one and don't regret it at all. Not very visible though. Wasn't an impulse. No plans for another one yet, but you never know...definitely would want it to mean something if I ever do get another one.

Nice new avatar, BTW! and I still want to see your smiley faces on your toes!
B|

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

its pretty simple and straight forward to have a tat artist render a drawing for you to look at of an intended tat, or at least look over his previous work, before cutting some jackass that cant draw loose on your skin with some ink.

if you see a shitty drawing on paper its ok to critique, but when its on someones skin and you call it, people get bent out of shape WTF?
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

I was "smart" enough to understand tattoos come with a preconceived notion to many.

I also understood they are not preferred in a professional environment.

Thus, I had both of mine (was actually inked three times, as I added on to my second ((very small)) one the third time) placed in areas that are not noticeable. Only one is noticeable in a teeny bikini.:$:P

Having said that, to answer your question:

No regrets. I don't feel sorrow or disappointment for having my tattoos. I do, however, realize today I would not have another done. And if I'd waited, I'd have none.

My advice would not be, "You'll regret it" or "Don't do it." Instead, I'd recommend waiting until you're at least 25. SO much changes and SO fast before that age.

Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Instead, I'd recommend waiting until you're at least 25. SO much changes and SO fast before that age.

I got my first tattoo when I was 27 or 28... I got another one done when I was 29, so I did wait. My parents were PISSED, but what were they going to do? Tell me to take it back? :P

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

My advice would not be, "You'll regret it" or "Don't do it." Instead, I'd recommend waiting until you're at least 25. SO much changes and SO fast before that age.

I don't think things magically change when you turn 25. There's not one age that would work for everyone. The recommendation I followed when I thought I wanted a tattoo was, once you've decided on one wait 2 years. If you still want the same thing after that time then get it. Kind of a long time to wait, I know, but it worked for me. Got mine done at 21 & was definitely ready. But maybe as you get older the wait time could be less??

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091