BillyVance

Did the flight attendant go too far?

"you need to shut your child up"? :o[:/]

Right from the get go it sounded like the flight attendant is some low class low IQ cunt!

Even if the child was being a total disturbance, and I don't think he was in the least bit, you need to act with professionalism.

Put the crack pipe down.:|:|

The problem was a parent who refused to control their kid. Flight attendants, like *all* members of an aircrew are responsible for the comfort and safety of their passengers every single time they are working a flight. Hard to believe, but there are people like that mother who flat out don't give a shit about that and definitely don't give a flying fuck about the other passengers.

I think it's outrageous behavior when parents don't control their kids on a flight and have no idea how you can defend that kind of behavior. If somone in that incident was low class and low IQ, IMO it wasn't the flight attendant. I think she should be given a medal.

Walt

I am sure there are two sides to this story. I would like to hear what the crew had to say before we go about doing some of the things that some on here have suggested.

I would also like to hear from the people that cheered the FA, even if that cheer was a silent one.
You do notice that the article cited has no comments from any of them, and you KNOW there were some.
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

I think it's outrageous behavior when parents don't control their kids on a flight and have no idea how you can defend that kind of behavior. If somone in that incident was low class and low IQ, IMO it wasn't the flight attendant. I think she should be given a medal.

Walt, if I liked guys I would kiss you! :ph34r: I am glad I am not the only one who was thinking the same thing.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Yeah but this wasn't the case. The child was simply saying bye bye to the other planes taxiing down the runway. He wasn't screaming wasn't crying, wasn't kicking the seat in front of him. He was just being cute.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

What he said. Although it doesn't (yet) seem pertinent to this incident, I'm a firm believer that parents who can't control their children in public should stay home until such time as they can.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

There are plenty of annoying people on flights, should we drug all of them too? :S

Either that or drug the rest of us who choose not to behave like monkeys on acid. Personally, I don't think the airline went far enough. How about a "no fly" list for people who don't control their behavior or the behavior of their kids.

The flight attendant is a hero.

Walt

am I the only one that caught the "multiple witnesses" part of the article?
:S
"He wasn't any louder than the adult passengers on the plane," said passenger Stacey Watts.

Watts sat just a few rows back from the Georgia mother and heard the entire conversation.

"Katie was in shock at that point," Watts explained. "You could tell. She was in row 3 and I was in row 6. She just kept saying, 'I don't know what you expect me to do. I don't know what you expect me to do.'"

Suddenly eyewitnesses say the flight attendant announced they were returning to the gate and Penland would be removed from the plane.

even the cops that showed up found no fault by the parents...which is hard to believe a cop showed up and yet nobody was arrested! :D

I would also like to hear from the people that cheered the FA, even if that cheer was a silent one.
You do notice that the article cited has no comments from any of them, and you KNOW there were some.

The best one I seen was about 10 years ago when I was on my home from basic training. On final approach a little kid got up and started running down the aisle. The F/A got up and instructed the mother to control her kid and buckle him in for landing. She (The mother) said she couldnt control him so the F/A snatched the kid up off the floor like my mom would have and plopped his ass down in the seat and told him not to move. Which the little boy did. Amazing what happens when you show a little authority.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Walt if the story is true, it was a toddler saying 'Bye bye, plane' repeatedly after an 11 hour delay.

You think that's unreasonable and bad parenting? :|

Yes. Let's say I have a dog and I take my dog to a public place. What if my dog is one of those dogs that likes to bark just to hear himself bark and he won't shutup.

Now let's say that public place is a small, enclosed area. If I don't shut the dog up am I a bad dog owner? What if the dog is really cute? Does that make a difference?

Walt

What exactly should a parent of a kid that is throwing a tantrum or screaming do on a plane????

Anyone, anyone??? Limited room, loaded with people, going to the bathroom might work, it might not.

Should they smother the kid?? Hit the kid, which is always genius to me, your crying, here now cry for a reason cause you are now hurt.

I thought the lady on the plane the other day hit her kid, it really sounded like it, but I was like no way, that kid would be screaming. I think she was either hitting herself or a smacking something together.

It's just a kid for the love. Not like the kid has a bomb. Not like the kid is going to blow the plane up. Maybe they should mandate a checked kid policy from now on. Stow them in a little compartment under the plane.

Patience can go a long way with a child!!!
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Yeah but this wasn't the case. The child was simply saying bye bye to the other planes taxiing down the runway. He wasn't screaming wasn't crying, wasn't kicking the seat in front of him. He was just being cute.

That seems to be the whole point. I can understand if the kid was being a spoiled brat or acting like one, yeah, get them off the plane. I too had the kid kicking the back of my seat experience but only after the plane was in the air and I admit I wished I could open the door and chuck them out!

This little kid wasn't being a problem, wasn't talking any louder than the adults, the bitch attendant could have given the mom and kid a little more leeway. But yeah, you'd think the mom could have coaxed the kid to be quiet for a bit, but I don't think the attendant even gave her a chance to because the mother was just in shock at the whole thing.

That's why the attendant is a skank whore bitch cuntface. Now, if it had been a male attendant - miserable fucking snot-nosed little dipshit. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

What exactly should a parent of a kid that is throwing a tantrum or screaming do on a plane????

Not take them on a plane until they're confident the child won't scream or throw a tantrum. It's not that difficult. Children throw fits to get attention. If you promptly ignore ALL such attempts, and immediately give positive reinforcement when they politely ask for something, they'll learn pretty quickly.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I suspect that no one actually handled this situation well and that all the blame doesn't belong in one place. A child may not be any louder than anyone else, but sometimes the pitch of their voice carries further. Monotonous repetition of the same thing over and over and over and over and over can be very annoying as well. Unless there were other problem behaviors, though, the flight attendant's reaction sounds disproportionate to the situation.

Even so, I don't understand why the mother didn't try distracting her son with a toy or a story or something else to divert his attention. From what the article says, it sounds like she just didn't know what to do and it didn't occur to her to provide him with something else to concentrate on. I also have a sneaking suspicion that the mother wasn't as polite about it as the article suggests--which might be understandable if the flight attendant was really that hostile herself. If that's the case, you just have an escalating situation where no one is the winner.
TPM Sister #102

although in this case I realize they were still on the ground...sometimes small children have great difficulty with the pressurization and the pain it causes them. it can be very difficult for them to get their ears to clear, and very hard to help them.

Can't say that makes any sense.
Perfect example is the many kids on the plane ride to ATL the other day that all were doing fine the whole flight. So good kids right?? Good parents as well??
The plane stopped short of the gate as another plane was at ours and a few of the kids began to cry, one was not wanting to stay seated. Probably just because they wanted off, and perhaps their ears hurt from coming down.
The lady with the kid that wouldn't stay seated got up with the kid and the flight attendant got on the PA and said everyone needed to be seated with seatbelts on.

So the lady sat in the seat with the kid screaming and doing what kids do to get out of being held, all probably because the kid knew we had stopped and wanted off the damn plane.

It's not poor parenting, it's not bad kids, it's just kids.
Yes it's annoying, whoop dee doo. Lots of things are annoying.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Lets break in down in simpler terms..

The child was interupting an FAA mandated safty briefing.
The FA asked the Mother to control her child.
The Mother said she could not.
The FA then had them removed.

Sounds reasonable. If the cant control the child and says as much, Then they should not be on the plane.

I still think there is MUCH more to this story and I hope that other FA`s in the future will handle situations where parents will not or can not control thier children in a simular manner.

I also agree that if this story is 100% accurate.. (Which I highly doubt), Then YES, the FA went too far.

I think you are probably right on the money.

Some parents live in their own delusional world where they think their kids can do no wrong and the world should thank them every moment of the day and night for bringing their perfect liittle kids into the world.

They seem to think *everyone* should feel the same way about their kid as they do. I seriously doubt the mother was nice about it. Some parents tend to get extremely defensive and confrontational if someone even hints that their kids is anything but God's gift to the world.

The mother is playing the innocent victim.

Walt

that's messed up!!! completely!!!!

For real--that mother has no business taking her kid anywhere until she gets the kid under control.

Walt

Sure. :S

I'll believe that when adults learn to control their OWN mouths in public.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.