ACMESkydiver

15 Years Clean...But Not Sober. Does it Matter?

BTW, I'm addicted to Chapstick. Seriously. Chapstick is an addictive substance. The more you use it, the more you need it. There is always a chapstick in my pocket.:S

I know that! Mine's Carmex. Got it in both my vehicles and NEVER forget to have it in the pocket of the pants/shorts I'm wearing.:S:D

I have a cherry Carmex stick in my purse and a mint Carmex stick in my car... I can't leave home without mine. [:/] If for some reason I lose it somewhere, I look for the nearest store to buy it... It's purely an addiction.

Oh, and Muenkel - Carmex is basically Chapstick. As a kid, I used Chapstick all the time until I had a very bad allergic reaction. The pharmacist told me to use Carmex, and that's when my addiction started. :S I can't put that stuff down...

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

BTW, it's Chapstick in a tub.

I buy the Carmex sticks... Makes me think I'm using Chapstick. :D They have the tubs, sticks, and little plastic Blistex thingies...

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

Carmex is awesome. Behold the power of the Carmex. It has caused many an addiction.

BTW, it's Chapstick in a tub.

Get back to your cave,
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

SWEET!! Thanks! I never knew they had strawberry now! I'm totally going to Walgreens TONIGHT! :o:D

I truly have never heard of it. Thanks for the clicky. I was beginning to think you folks were fucking with me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would never do that.

I checked your profile to see what gender you are and was pleasantly relieved.:D

Wouldn't that be "sober, not clean"?

Maybe I don't get what's going on here. :D

-Did I mess up? :o I guess when someone says 'cean and sober', to me, that meant no drugs (clean) and no alcohol (sober).

I can claim one for 15 years this week (no drugs). I can't claim the other, as I still drink occassionally.

I don't claim any kind of victory over alcohol; it never had control of me. I just decided to stop drinking daily; it wasn't a struggle.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

As of this month.

Just wondering...I've heard people saying that if you still drink alcohol at all, being 'clean' doesn't really count for anything as you still use a substance.

I don't think having a drink twice a month is bad...but where do you stop with this? What about caffeine and nicotine? :S

Can anyone then truly call themselves 'clean and sober' -ever?

Edit for clarification: no drugs X 15 years.

First of all congrats on being drug free for fifteen years. If you're just having a drink or two a month (or a week, or even a day for that matter), I don't see what the "problem" is.

There are always people willing to crawl out from under a rock and take a cheap shot at you for not living up to their standards. But I'm guessing that crawling around under some rock isn't your style either.

I'd ignore them, or else politely tell them to fuck off. And once again, as a former teenage stoner myself, congrats.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Yup, it matters. Matters to me.

14 yrs myself Aug 15. I'm sure you've heard these before:

A drug is a drug is a drug.
Alcohol is a drug. (Period!)
One is too many and a thousand is never enough.

To answer your question about nicotine and caffeine there's one simple question to ask yourself..."Does it make your life unmanageable and do you become powerless over your addiction?" I smoke cigars and drink coffee regularly. Does it make my life unmanageable? No way. Powerless - probably not. Much easier to give up than the other shit I gave up years ago.

I think until society names those two drugs illegal, they will be commonplace among addicts and alcoholics and we will continue to see them in that gray area.

In my book - no, you're not clean or sober. But that's just my opinion and I don't think any less of you. But since you asked.

Keep coming back! ;);)

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

I don't claim any kind of victory over alcohol; it never had control of me. I just decided to stop drinking daily; it wasn't a struggle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I didn't read all of this, but I think that overcoming what controls you is what being free is about.~~April

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!

Yup, it matters. Matters to me.

14 yrs myself Aug 15. I'm sure you've heard these before:

A ;);)

17 years as of August 10th so I'm better than you are and I have seniorirty:P:D:D:D

And Jaye, Fuck them all, if you choose to call youself clean, that's good enough for me.
rock on with your bad self, enjoy life the way YOU choose:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I stopped use drug as marijuana for about one year and 3 months. I stopped drink sodas include diet sodas for about one year and half. I stopped smoke tobaccos (cigarettes and cigars) for 3 years and a month. And I drink alcohol for eventful reason, such as birthday, new year, and etc. I will say like 5-7 times a year or less.
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

"To understand is to forgive, even oneself."

AA and NA have many characteristics of a religion. That you cannot win without submitting to a higher power is one tenant that has been well debated; that you must confront your helplessness in the face of ALL the bad things including but not limited to, alcohol, narcotics, your sex addiction (denying it just sets you back to step one) is another aspect of the dogma of BILL. That no other program will work is another.
However like most religions, there are those who believe the dogma word for word, and those who believe the words are merely signposts to what is truly important.
When you cleaned up fifteen years ago (congratulations) your purpose was to make your life better n'est pas? Is it better? If it is then you win.

AA and NA have many characteristics of a religion. That you cannot win without submitting to a higher power is one tenant that has been well debated; that you must confront your helplessness in the face of ALL the bad things including but not limited to, alcohol, narcotics, your sex addiction (denying it just sets you back to step one) is another aspect of the dogma of BILL. That no other program will work is another.
However like most religions, there are those who believe the dogma word for word, and those who believe the words are merely signposts to what is truly important.
When you cleaned up fifteen years ago (congratulations) your purpose was to make your life better n'est pas? Is it better? If it is then you win.

Were as I'm almost the opposite, I got clean and sober via 12 step programs, but I"m an athiest through and through, and i have no higher power or sponsers and i havent been to a meeting in years and years.
I got clean and sober to have a life worth living, I have that now and so much more.
Read my sig line B|B|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I get it!

I always thought it meant this:

clean - not taking in any mind-altering substances
sober - not being affected by mind-altering substances to the point of being fucked up

Therefore, if you drank but didn't get drunk, you'd be sober, but not clean.

Your version makes much more sense. :D

And congrats! :)

No booze or dope for 21 years, no cigs for 20 years. I qualify for "Truly clean and sober". Good luck.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

No booze or dope for 21 years, no cigs for 20 years. I qualify for "Truly clean and sober". Good luck.

WaWaWah,
do you sit in proximity of other smokers, do you drink tea of coffee or coke or any other caffianted beveage, do you ever take over the counter drugs for mild aliment (if pain persists see your doctor) ailments.

What the Hell does it matter to anyone else HOW clean or Sober any one CLAIMS to be.
I've got over 17 years, I dont smoke i dont take avil or any other over the counter and it very difficult for a doctor to get me to take presricption medication, but WHO CARES.
Other then me (and maybe my wife) it's is of no concern to any one.

If jaye wants to say she's clean be it TRUELY or other wise, who's business is it to contradict that.
NO ONEs.
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?