Timmay

Pilot Chute Hesitation

I've been jumping an Odyssey for the last few years with a Sabre2 120 and PD113R.

On a good number of occasions I've had a serious delay from when I pull the PC until the main comes out of the tray.
After initially thinking I was just doing a crappy throw, I started to become much more forceful with the throw. This made no diffrence.
On one such occasion, the CCI came up to me and asked to check out my rig as he thought there might be a problem. On test-pulling the PC in the hangar, the main bag came out straight away with no excess force needed.

The main bag is not too tight in the tray; and the pin is tight, but with still enough play so as not to be a problem.

This doesn't happen on every jump but is boecoming more frequent as I put more jumps on the kit (never happened for the first 100 jumps on it - now put on 200)

The PC doesn't seem to be showing excessive wear and (I believe) is the right size for the container/chute size.

Is there anything that I have overlooked?
Has anyone had a similar problem?
What else can I do, or is it "just one of those things"?

How much unstowed lines are you leaving? leave at least 12-1/2" some people leave more, there is a thread from Bill Both about this and his recommendation, I had (long time ago the same problem because I used to stow all the lines leaving no free lines) and I had a tension knot end up in a cut away from leaving too much excess lines (I was lazy that day and did not feel like replacing a rubber band that broke, the last one to be exact)
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

How much unstowed lines are you leaving? leave at least 12-1/2"

I'm leaving about 10 inches, but that really isn't the point - think you may have misundertood my problem.
The hesitation is coming between throwing the PC out and the container opening. Therrefore I can't think how much unstowed lines inside the main tray could be an issue?

This doesn't happen on every jump but is boecoming more frequent as I put more jumps on the kit (never happened for the first 100 jumps on it - now put on 200)

The PC doesn't seem to be showing excessive wear and (I believe) is the right size for the container/chute size.

Is there anything that I have overlooked?
Has anyone had a similar problem?

http://www.dropzone.com/forum/Skydiving_C1/Gear_and_Rigging_F6/Is_Your_Hand_Deploy_%3Cb%3EPilot%3C/b%3E_%3Cb%3EChute%3C/b%3E_Correctly_Made_P132976

Read this post from Bill Booth, April, 2002.

He explains how to check for kill line shrinkage as well as a number of other PC rigging issues.
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

On a good number of occasions I've had a serious delay from when I pull the PC until the main comes out of the tray.

Replace it.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Replace it.

LOL! There is always that option.
As I've said though, the PC isn't worn out and the kill line isn't too short etc (checked last night).
Although it might be the best solution I don't really want to fork out for a new one at the moment being out of work.

FYI: A new pilot chute costs less than lost cutaway and reserve handles and a repack.

Should the pilot chute fail to extract the pin, what are your emergency proceedures for a pilot chute in tow?

Is is ZP or F111?

Finally. Is the pilot chute the original that came with the container? If it is the original that came with the container, did you contact your dealer or the manufacturer? If there is an issue, they may help you out and get you a discounted replacement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

what is the size of the PC, how long is the bridle. is it zero p.

I replace my PC at 500 jumps or before that if it starts to hesitate. To avoid potential problems I go with the container manufacturer. I would not use anything less than 26 inch zero p - for any canopy. Maybe overly safe but I do not want PC in tow on a low hop n pop again....

rm

When my Sabre 2 started doing that more and more, it was because the kill line was shrinking and eventually broke. I was at a small dz for the weeekend, I removed the kill line and continued to jump.

When I got back to Spaceland, the hackey came off the PC. The stitches on the PC bracing were all broken. Had an extremely hard opening that cost me 4 months of jumping.

Run, don't walk to your nearest rigger and get the PC and bridle replaced.

Blue skies,

Jim

When I got back to Spaceland, the hackey came off the PC. The stitches on the PC bracing were all broken. Had an extremely hard opening that cost me 4 months of jumping.

How do you figure the hard opening was connected to the defective PC?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I recently bought an Odyssey sized for a Crossfire 119 and one thing that struck me (compared to my Vortex II) was that the bag attachment line was really short.

As I pack by putting the bag under the canopy first and holding with my knees while I fold it in, it was difficult to pack without pulling on the kill line.

Maybe this in conjuction with some kill line shrinkage could be a reason?

In my case, I discussed with a rigger and advanced packer and they came up with a short piece of webbing that could be larksheaded on to the bag attachment to extend the length by a couple of inches.

Replace it.

LOL! There is always that option.
As I've said though, the PC isn't worn out and the kill line isn't too short etc (checked last night).
Although it might be the best solution I don't really want to fork out for a new one at the moment being out of work.

Dude, this is not something to address lightly. Have you considered the ramifications of a PC in tow? What will you do? Both recommended procedures for this have major risks (cutaway and pull silver, don't cutaway and pull silver).

Read the thread that Ken pointed out, Bill Booth has great instructions for determining if your pilot chute is constructed correctly as well as kill line recommendations. You should not have any hesitation, that is why we invented the thing in the first place (I worked for Bill at the time and made the first hand deploy jumps), to eliminate hesitations. A PC in Tow is just a very long hesitation and not one I would like to have to deal with.....

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519