ntrprnr

Lessons at 28.2 miles per hour

No. He was averaging closer to 22, probably. But I saw 28.2 at one point on a flat.

OK, 22 I can do, but 28.2 on a flat?! Not on my mountain bike, (at least not here a 5300-6000 feet). I haven't ridden at altitudes close to MSL for 11 years, so I don't know how much the denser air would help me.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

No. He was averaging closer to 22, probably. But I saw 28.2 at one point on a flat.

OK, 22 I can do, but 28.2 on a flat?! Not on my mountain bike, (at least not here a 5300-6000 feet). I haven't ridden at altitudes close to MSL for 11 years, so I don't know how much the denser air would help me.

If you're fast the denser air hurts you. Merckx set his record at 7500 feet.

Merckx, Boardman, and Sosenka have done nearly 31 miles in an hour on a conventional road bike with no aero bars, wheels, etc. 1972 technology.

Guys on time trial bikes have done 35 miles in an hour.

Just thinking of going that fast reminds me of when I was partway up the big hill on the Mike Morgan Memorial Hill Climb (Magnolia route), looked down, and puked....

If you're fast the denser air hurts you. Merckx set his record at 7500 feet.

Merckx, Boardman, and Sosenka have done nearly 31 miles in an hour on a conventional road bike with no aero bars, wheels, etc. 1972 technology.

Guys on time trial bikes have done 35 miles in an hour.

Just thinking of going that fast reminds me of when I was partway up the big hill on the Mike Morgan Memorial Hill Climb (Magnolia route), looked down, and puked....

IIRC when I first moved to CO and resumed biking, the sparser air made breathing more difficult, but it did seem I could cruise a little faster, (until I ran out of breathe). I'm really curious what it would be like to breathe that thick soupy air at MSL again.:ph34r:

I've been getting an itch to try Mt Evans. I just bought a bike rack and have been talking to a friend who has done it twice.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Where is this run? I can find precious little info via Google.

Where is this run? I can find precious little info via Google.

I've typoed Horgan into Morgan; the race was so horrible I had to repress its true name.

Start riding up Canyon (in Boulder) at the Justice Center. Hang a left on Magnolia road. Over the next 4.6 miles you'll climb 2300' of the over 4500 total with the grade reaching 17%. Then the pavement ends and you have 7 miles of dirt washboard. You get back on pavement for the scenic descent into Nederland Hang a right on Peak to Peak highway. Go left on Eldora road. Take a left on Shelf road. Finish at Patterson Lake.

Pros have won riding that 18 or 21 (sources differ) mile route in 1:23.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road.php?id=road/USA/2003/jul03/jul12mikehorganhillclimb

Magnolia Drive resident Dan Lewis, 28, drives the road daily and said "you couldn't pick a worse road to have a race on. It’s a Hell of a road. I've gone through brake pads on my car every five months since living here."

IIRC, the speed record for bikes is now well over 100mph (faired recumbent.) They're typically run at high altitudes to reduce wind resistance.

Are you sure? Yes, it is well over 100 if you call this bicycling:

http://www.canosoarus.com/08LSRbicycle/LSR%20Bike01.htm

But for a real human-powered bike, the best I found was this:

http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/news/2007/03/bikerecord_0330

Younger kids whippersnappers suck. ;)

Which, to you, is everyone... unless you're counting that caveman on the geiko commercials:P:D
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Which, to you, is everyone... unless you're counting that caveman on the geiko commercials:P:D

Psssst...that IS airtwardo. Don't make him have an existential meltdown.
:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Psssst...that IS airtwardo. Don't make him have an existential meltdown.
:D

Plastic surgery and electrolosis?:D
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.