RkyMtnHigh

Arthroscopic Surgery

Because of a torn cartilege, looks like I might have to have arthroscopic surgery on my knee. The doc said it's done on an outpatient basis and drills a hole in each side of the cartilege and shaves off the "hangnail" which is what the tear looks like. If you've had this procedure, how long did it take for recovery?

I had a similar procedure done in conjunction with a bunch of other stuff.. so I can't really help you with a recovery time.

However.. the arthroscopic incision sites healed very fast and there was no bruising. It still feels really strange to kneel.. but I don't know how much of that is the other stuff I had done or the work that was done on the cartilage behind my knee cap.

Well.. that was pretty much no help..:P

Hope it works out smoothly for you! I've had friends who had this type of surgery and they were back to normal shockingly fast!

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

I had a similar procedure done in conjunction with a bunch of other stuff.. so I can't really help you with a recovery time.

However.. the arthroscopic incision sites healed very fast and there was no bruising. It still feels really strange to kneel.. but I don't know how much of that is the other stuff I had done or the work that was done on the cartilage behind my knee cap.

:D:ph34r:So, I don't plan to go to a Catholic church any time soon;):D

:D:D:D

What about packing?

Hell no!:D I already hate how packing affects my knees:ph34r: Nah..I think I'll stick to video editing during the recovery period. We just got a 2nd camera so Chris can do back to back loads and can drop off a camera and I edit the tandem video..it's been a lot of fun. Atleast I can still be involved in the sport during the recovery period.B|

I had this done in Colorado Springs last June by one of the surgeon's for the US Olympic team, Dr John Pak.
I looked at the clock on the wall in the hospital OR as I was going under...it was 1:25pm.
I then looked at the clock on the wall as I was walking unassisted from the hospital, and it was 2:55pm...90 minutes!
Doing the recommended PT at home, within 10 days I was walking normally, and within 14 days, it was as if my 13 year old injury never happened.

"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

I had this done in Colorado Springs last June by one of the surgeon's for the US Olympic team, Dr John Pak.
I looked at the clock on the wall in the hospital OR as I was going under...it was 1:25pm.
I then looked at the clock on the wall as I was walking unassisted from the hospital, and it was 2:55pm...90 minutes!
Doing the recommended PT at home, within 10 days I was walking normally, and within 14 days, it was as if my 13 year old injury never happened.

Thank You! That's AWESOME! Gives me lots of hope and encouragement:)

Because of a torn cartilege, looks like I might have to have arthroscopic surgery on my knee. The doc said it's done on an outpatient basis and drills a hole in each side of the cartilege and shaves off the "hangnail" which is what the tear looks like. If you've had this procedure, how long did it take for recovery?

Here's some encouraging info for ya. Good luck with the surgery. Been there many times; I know what it's like. Godspeed recovering and no worries :)http://www.athleticadvisor.com/FAQs/scope/arthroscopy.htm
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

K

Had my left knee done about 6 years ago and I was down for about 1.5 -2 days(low to no activity) on doctors orders at but I walked out and then recovery was pretty quick with no complications (have a cool video of it too)
John Fosgate
"In the end, its always best to choose the hard right over the easy wrong." LouDiamond
MB 4310
www.N3Racing.com

Yoder, you WOULD just say something like that:S.:D

AS my role model Dan Fielding once said: "I gotta be me!"B|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I haven't had the pleasure of surgery on me knees just yet, but I am sure that it is in my future.

Anyhow, both my Dad and Sister have had thier knees scoped. My Dad is not one to be limited by injury, sohe was up and walking around almost immediatly. I don't think that he was slowed down for more than a day or two. The surgery helped him, but he still complains of knee pain. But, he is 57 years old.

My sister on the other hand, had the surgery as a teen. She was down for a couple of days, then was up and around on crutches for a day or two. She was a lot more careful. She hasn't had any problems with her knee since the surgery.

I hope this helps. I imagine if you have any ability to endure pain whatsoever, you will be back at it within a week or two. The surgery isn't invasive, and it is more like a sprain healing. If you are careful and don't bang it around, I am sure that you will be feeling well in 10-14 days.

I am not a doctor, but I did stay at a holiday inn express....
The primary purpose of the Armed Forces is to prepare for and to prevail in combat should the need arise.

Just get knee-pads for packing!

:DOK sounds like a good option..if I pack his canopy it's a small pillowcase...so that won't hurt much...atleast it won't hurt long since it's so small:ph34r:

Get one of those foam paddle boards. Tile guys use them all the time. They're a lot more comfortable than the strap-on knee pads. I may be needing them in the near future. [:/]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If they're just shaving the cartilage, expect to be limping for a couple of weeks, but it shouldn't otherwise cause problems. I had one about, Jesus!:o 15 years ago, and I was 90 percent within a week, and had more than just cartilage shaved.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Knee MRIs are not always accurate. I had a client recently who had arthroscopic surgery to find out he had an ACL tear. Of course, that's a much bigger deal and required another consent. So, they had to do a second surgery. I bring it up because you may want to talk about what could be found during the procedure and how to proceed in such an event.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

If all goes well, the procedure is very really simple and you will be walking that day, if you wish. Start PT as soon as possible and work it properly, and you will be over it amazingly fast. There are usually 3 incisions which only require a band-aid for each.

You probably won't even need the pain pills they give you. So bring them to the next CRW boogie, because many of us need them more than you do.B|

Kevin

The procedure is cool. They inflate your knee with saline solution to about the size of a volleyball, then put in a little camera and a little cutter.

The cutter is very cool. It's a tool that looks like a cross between a Pac-Man and a toenail clipper, and the surgeon guides it along the rough edge of the cartiledge while it chomps away at the torn parts. It has a suction hose on it to suck up all the parts as they are trimmed off. They really cut very little, but all it takes is a small irregularity to cause rough movement and pain in a joint.

Of course, you'll be out for all this. And if you get a good anesthesiologist, you'll wake up fresh and clear-headed with a big bandage on your knee. A lot of times, they will save the video of the procedure so you can watch it later.:P