PLFXpert

Computer Techies--Tower Really Loud All of a Sudden

I removed a program (Quicktime.B|) then restarted my computer.

From the time it restarted until current (about 30 minutes now) my tower is really loud. It sounds like a fan is blowing full blast inside it.

WTF???

Anyone?

Bueller?

Thank you, in advance, for any help provided.:)
<--admits she knows little about how they work, just how to work the hell out of them.B|
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Mine was always shit on my fan/heatsink. Like warped said, i would crack it open and give the dust a wipe off the CPU fan, if its really dirty underneath the fan you can take that off and clean the heatsink too.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Thank you, all!

While all that sounds like loads of fun, I decided to turn it off, then turn it back on.

Problem solved.B|

As I side note, I dust very regularly and my tower is kept inside a closed cabinet to reduce dust/dirt, etc. I realize stuff can/will still be sucked inside, but it's a royal pain in the ass to take the tower out to open it. So I did what any computer idiot would do--tap it on the side to loosen up whatever's inside.:D Obviously that didn't work, which is why I turned it off for five minutes.:P

Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

With solution like that

While all that sounds like loads of fun, I decided to turn it off, then turn it back on.

It will happen again for sure. But we`ll think of it some other day. ;) Won`t we?
I have noticed you also know the second biggest computer trick: "Tap on the side". :D

I became engineer that way.

blues!
dudeist skydiver #42

Thank you, all!

Problem solved.B|

As I side note, I dust very regularly and my tower is kept inside a closed cabinet to reduce dust/dirt, etc. I realize stuff can/will still be sucked inside, but it's a royal pain in the ass to take the tower out to open it. So I did what any computer idiot would do--tap it on the side to loosen up whatever's inside.:D Obviously that didn't work, which is why I turned it off for five minutes.:P

That is "percussion tuning" and you need a certificate to perform such a delicate procedure>:(

:P:D:D:D:D

Thank you, all!

Problem solved.B|

Keeping your tower in a closed cabinet can make your computer more likely to overheat due to the lack of cool air circulation.

Keeping your tower in a closed cabinet can make your computer more likely to overheat due to the lack of cool air circulation.

Yep!! Airflow is critical in keeping your computer cool. Over heating is a sure way to shorten the life of any electronic components. That is why your computer has Fans to begin with. Do not keep the Computer in an enclosed environment.

As for dust, There will always be dust partials in the air (dead skin cells mostly) in fact dusting regularly generally just throws the Dust back into the air.
The electrical current running through your computer components will also attract the dust and create a build up inside your system no matter how often you dust. Open it up once a year and Blow it down with some canned air.

Controller cable rubbing on a fan, possibly the CPU fan.

That's what was happening in mine last year. Like riding a bicycle at 40 mph with trading cards in the spokes. :D Simply tucked the wires out of the way.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban