CSpenceFLY

Reguarding the Dublin Boogie

the skydiving was associated with that

How much did the county pay for the right to Sponsor the event?

Seems to me WE (The Skydivers) paid for 100% of that event. The counties decision to include it in their "County Sponsored events" and make it part of the St. Patrick’s day festival seem to be the problem.

The Skydiving event should be its own independent event as it doesn’t cost the county anything (Infact I bet the county make a good bit off the fuel we buy for that event and we KNOW they make a good bit off the taxes on all the money we spend in town).

Oh well, Screw em if they are that stupid. Chris, You say Boogie and people will show up. A spring event would be great. Need some financial backing to make it happen, I am sure I could scrape up a little investment if there was a good possibility of a return on it. Others would too.

...Maybe a collection for the animals could still be taken up somehow...

If it's for food, good idea; if it's for spaying and neutering, from the pictures I saw, the animals aren't the ones who need it.:D

heh >:(

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Do any of them see the irony in running an event out of town due to drinking on the ultimate drinking holiday? :S

Chris, if you move it, the jumpers will follow, and if you don't, you'll have less stress in your life. Neither sound like bad things to me. ;)

Blues,
Dave

"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Do any of them see the irony in running an event out of town due to drinking on the ultimate drinking holiday? :S

I see that here, too - Cullman, Alabama has one of the largest Oktoberfest celebrations in the Southeast (maybe the U.S.) and yet the city and its county namesake are dry (at least as far as "outside" producers).
Roll Tide Roll

I'm not sure what there is to get angry about. It's their rules, we're the visitors, why should they have to change their rules to accommodate us? They turned a blind eye as long as they could, after last year, they couldn't do that any more.

Isn't there a nearby campground or something that could be used for tents/trailers/drinking? It's not the end of the world that no drinking is allowed on airport property, there are always alternatives.

To me, it almost makes us look like pouting children when we throw fits about drinking on airport property and storm away like this instead of working with them to find a viable alternative for all concerned.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

To me, it almost makes us look like pouting children when we throw fits about drinking on airport property and storm away like this instead of working with them to find a viable alternative for all concerned.

It is their rules, but it is our event. We pay for it. We bring the event and it costs them nothing. The town benefits greatly from this event.
Then saying this is somehow sponsored by the county is stupid. The money to put this on comes from Chris Spence and the Roaming DZ and all the participants. The county pays nothing for it and reaps the benefits. It would be different if there had been problems; There were NONE in the 4 year history of the event. Not a single arrest or disturbance.

For them to change the rules this late in the game without cause is aasinie.

I'm not sure what there is to get angry about. It's their rules, we're the visitors, why should they have to change their rules to accommodate us?...

I agree with you about it being their rules, but at the same time, their enforcement is not projected as "because they're our rules and we said so..."
They are enforcing it under the accusation that the situation at the airport was not "family friendly" enough for their community.

I think that's where the offense is had. It would be a lot easier to not be bothered by it if they simply said "look, those guys getting killed in front of a bunch of people really scared us, and we don't want this anymore."

To me, their insinuation (whether intentional or not) and the proximity of the circumstances and this decision, could lead one to believe that the officials are placing a correlation between the alcohol present and the earlier accident. It may look to some locals there like one of those "say it without saying it" situations.
Roll Tide Roll

It is their rules, but it is our event. We pay for it. We bring the event and it costs them nothing. The town benefits greatly from this event.
Then saying this is somehow sponsored by the county is stupid. The money to put this on comes from Chris Spence and the Roaming DZ and all the participants. The county pays nothing for it and reaps the benefits. It would be different if there had been problems; There were NONE in the 4 year history of the event. Not a single arrest or disturbance.

For them to change the rules this late in the game without cause is aasinie.

I believe the airport is on county property and THAT is where the problem lies. It sucks, but they do have a right to regulate activites that occur on their property whether or not they have "sponsored" the event. To me the use of the words "county sponsored" was inaccurate. But we all know how the media can misrepresent the facts, just look at all those accounts of people surviving a skydive when "both parachutes failed to open". :S

Not sticking up for the county officials, but I do believe they (at least someone) knew about the drinking before and were able to turn a blind eye. But after the incident they had to make some sort of statement. If we were to hold an event there in the future, maybe the WOULD turn a blind eye again. But their official stance seems pretty clear. I think they're just trying to cover their own asses.

Spence, I don't know how you do it, putting these events together. It seems overwhelming. I will gladly come to any more Roaming DZ events you put on. But if you choose to take the less stressful path I completely understand. You have my (and I'm sure all the other Roaming DZers) support no matter what you decide to do.

Edited to add: I didn't read anything in either article that accused the event of not being "family friendly". That may be an implication, but it was never directly stated.

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

The biggest problem I have is I know Spence. He doesn't sugarcoat things.

I'm sure he told them straight up 4 years ago "This is a dangerous sport, shit happens, people get hurt, people die. We also party and drink after hours. But we also spend lots of $$$."

So when they agreed to allow it I'm guessing he thought they were allowing some exception or variance, not just turning a blind eye.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I didn't read anything in either article that accused the event of not being "family friendly". That may be an implication, but it was never directly stated.

Only implied in either article, maybe, but definitely reinforced in the Op/Ed pieces.

Implication not directly stated can be pretty powerful, especially when published. For example: "Someone killed those two with passion and motive. Maybe it was Bolivian coke dealers. Maybe it was aliens. Maybe it was Mr. Magoo."
Roll Tide Roll

I'm angry because the alcohol and party is not something that I tried to hide. It was put right out in front from the very beginning. I would have never went forward with this event without that being out in the open. Something like this is not something you build hoping that the party is not found out. The financial risk is just too great.

As far as as alternative and storming away. The climate I encountered was not one of looking for alternatives and I was not really angry till the paper took the low road and compared us to a bunch of brawling drunks.

In reguards to moving the party from the airport,that cost money and we would have no reason to believe that we would not be harassed where ever we moved to. I am not putting on an event so the local police can fleese my friends.

here is your answer

COURTLAND AL.
KZ LAWRENCE INDUSTRIAL AIRPORT

GOOGLE EARTH
35'39.33.55 N
87'20.55.67 W

Alabama?:o

That place scares me.:|

:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

That place scares me.

You can say that Twice Times, My Brotha.

You know the Rules,
1) No Strippers
2) No Red Heads
3) No women from Alabama!

The secrets to a peaceful life.:P:D

What if they have great tits?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

What if they have great tits?

Double trouble.
Run. Run while you still can still function. Then gals is dangerous I tell you!!;):D:D

I see what you mean. Who was she?

If i remember rightly, we shared a few beers with one of the airport authorities just before the event:S So, for them to say they had no idea drinking was going on is bollox

http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

and yet oral sex is still illegal in Georgia, where the vast majority of lawmakers are male.

Well if you are offering, I am sure many of theose lawmakers would take you up on it even if it is against the law.

Me personally, I am going to have to pass. I heard you drag your teeth too much.:o:P:D:D