Dancergirl

how much is this worth ?

brand new, never jumped, Wings container, Pilot 188 main, PD160 reserve, cypres 2 expert

all only 4 weeks old, cost £3,700 originally

how much is it now worth please ?

My god new gear is such a rip off!

It is only worth what someone will pay for it. If the colours are ugly, you won't be able to give it away. That is why I always sell stuff separately when selling for friends. The reserve and cypres will not depreciate much at all...

rm

Jun 7, 2006
(1) British Pound Exchange Rate ( 1.8631) U.S. Dollar

3500.00 GBP = USD $6,520.68

I am guessing Packing J is about right in price at about $5000 US based on US prices for each component bought new.

To figure it out (I just did it in my head and was at $5150) go to a gear dealer page that is showing the discounts and add the components up.

The price seems high to me but I dont know the prices your paying in the UK for new gear.

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

This is the most important question you need to answer first. You say "he" and I am going by your user name that you are a girl. If you are not about the same size, height and weight it’s not a good deal at any price.

Another question, what is you experience level and how does this rig compare to what you have been jumping.

Price should never be the first consideration when shopping gear.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Problem with UK prices is we have 17.5% VAT (value added tax).

So if you get parachute equipment the "right" way, you can avoid it (though its illegal). Buying from a UK dealer will automatically incur VAT.

So actual cost will have been about £3150
I jsut paid £3050 for a similar system brand new.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

Problem with UK prices is we have 17.5% VAT (value added tax).

So if you get parachute equipment the "right" way, you can avoid it (though its illegal). Buying from a UK dealer will automatically incur VAT.

So actual cost will have been about £3150
I jsut paid £3050 for a similar system brand new.

But if you're a camera jumper or some other business entity you can deduct the VAT you paid from the VAT due at the other end and it's all perfectly legal. (P.S. i.e. keep the VAT of anything you charge for up to the limit of the VAT you paid of purchases at which point you start sending it to the tax man)

brand new, never jumped, Wings container, Pilot 188 main, PD160 reserve, cypres 2 expert

all only 4 weeks old, cost £3,700 originally

how much is it now worth please ?

Honestly? it sounds nice and all that but I am always sceptical about the 'only 4 weeks old, never been jumped' line... I would have a rigger look at it because if they didn't want to jump it, why did they buy it?

As for figures, anyone who really spends £3700 on a new rig is a mug - my completely new Wings setup cost about a grand less! I wouldn't pay more than £2500 for ANY 2nd hand rig, and that would be a lot.

Seriously, this is a size of canopy / container that you are probably not going to be holding on to for that long, and there are plenty of decent systems out there for much less - I just sold my Wings, PDR160 and Cypres with a Triathlon 175 in it for £1500.

This guys price is WAY to high IMHO. Sorry! [:/]

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

£3.5k? Phaaa. Too high.

I can see why they want so much for it - it sucks to lose money on anything. What I can't see why they paid so much for it in the first place.

a) Either they're quoting RRP and not what they actually paid.

b) They actually paid RRP. For about £3k you can get a fully loaded rig with a 'more expensive/better' container if you buy in the US and either fly out and get it or get someone to bring it back for you. There really is no need to pay UK prices... I struggle to understand why people would ever buy gear in the UK.

As for used ones, it had better be 'amazing' at 2.5k and pack itself for 3.5k.

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

I struggle to understand why people would ever buy gear in the UK.

because they are normally newbies who don't know any better usually after they come off student staus and get thier A licence. You usually have to fend for yourself unless you have made friends with experianced jumpers you know and trust :|.

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

Yeah, fair point. No 'durhhhhhh-didn't-ya-know-that!!' intended. Indeed, i bought my first rig new from the UK. My reasons were that i couldn't find used gear i liked and needed a rig within 5 weeks. Only buying new could solve that. With a bit of planning i could have had a better rig for less. Indeed, in hindsight, i should have waited despite the short term hire fees involved with not having a rig...

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

Skydive Jersey have a great deal for a complete Aerodyne Icon/Pilot/Smart set-up including Vigil AAD for £2,700 AND you get the benefit of a system sized & coloured to your exacting wishes.

http://www.skydivejersey.net/catalog/index.php?cPath=29&osCsid=4eec5f83bf59b0fcfec6eb8e14764983