sartre

Dana (guy) in Colorado pretend skydiver

I really hope he's a lurker on here.

I heard him tonight calling into a radio show to try to win tickets to a concert. He claimed to be a skydiver who had survived breaking both femurs in a skydiving accident. He claims his parachute collapsed suddenly at 100' and after the accident he was told he'd never walk again. He claims he recovered and he's still skydiving.

Not such a crazy story in and of itself, but it was how he answered the dj's questions about the landing. One of them said, "How did you land? I heard it's best to try and land on your side." The guy said, " Oh no, I landed right on my face. That's what you're supposed to do, let your face absorb the impact."

:| Wow. I was so annoyed that I called the station and told them what a PLF is. :D:D They cared, a lot. Really.:ph34r:

And if anyone sees him at Mile Hi, be sure and say hi.;)

Not such a crazy story in and of itself, but it was how he answered the dj's questions about the landing. One of them said, "How did you land? I heard it's best to try and land on your side." The guy said, " Oh no, I landed right on my face. That's what you're supposed to do, let your face absorb the impact."

Uh, actually to me that sounds exactly like something any real skydiver would say!:D
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Actually, the craziest part of the story is the sudden "canopy collapse" at 100 feet. :S

Canopies collapsing low in turbulence is not out of the norm. Scan the incidents forum - usually has to do with a degree of severity towards small elipitcals vs. a degree of severity of turbulence.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I'm not saying a canopy collapse can't happen, but we know the majority of skydiving incidents are due to "pilot error" and not equipment malfunction or turbulence. So, yeah, since the point of the OP seemed to be annoyance at spreading mis-information about the sport, that's what jumped out at me as far as the part of the story I would question.

Actually, the craziest part of the story is the sudden "canopy collapse" at 100 feet. :S

Well, as I found out as a 105 jump wonder, turbulence can cause an F-111 canopy to collapse at a very low altitude. Mine did that to me a few years back, scared the shit outa me.... it re-inflated and slammed me down hard, I was lucky! They knew I was ok after I started swearing very loudly!!!
If you look at this picture, you can see my canopy is partially collapsed in it... that is from the jump I am talking about. I was stupid.... don't jump in gusty winds.... I know better now.
Goggles and Teeth

"You fall like a greased safe!!!"

Huh???

Well yes officer Obie, I out that envelope at the bottom of that 40 foot trash pile. We had to pay 75 dollars and pick up the trash, & you can get anything you want @ Alices resturant walk right in it's around the back just a half a mile from the railroad track. :P:D
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

You have never seen Walt do one of his famous stall turns at about, oh, say, 65 feet!!!!!!!:D:D:D

I was at SSM one Thanksgiving and the winds were outrageously high....and they put up a load!!!!! Well, I have no idea who this person was, but his canopy collapsed at about 50ft and reinflated a second before his feet hit the ground!!!!! He went in the back door and really didn't have much to say after that!:D:D:D:D

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

Huh???

Well yes officer Obie, I out that envelope at the bottom of that 40 foot trash pile. We had to pay 75 dollars and pick up the trash, & you can get anything you want @ Alices resturant walk right in it's around the back just a half a mile from the railroad track. :P:D

I still remember sittin' there on the Group W bench; Mother rapers. Father stabbers. Father rapers! Father rapers sitting right there on the bench next to me! It was HORRIBLE, I tell you!:o
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.