skybytch

free stuff on craigslist

I put an ad on craigslist this morning to give away a tv and a cd player. I got 14 replies in less than 2 hours. Trying to be fair, I gave the address to the first guy who said he could pick up today and told him that I'd move on to the next person in line if he wasn't here by 2 pm. Since I know people often flake on these things, I told the next person in line that I'd let him know at 2 if they were still here since he said he could be here at 3:30.

The third person to say they could pick up today emailed again asking what city I'm in - duh, I only mentioned the city twice in the ad. So I replied telling her what city and that two people are ahead of her but I'd get back to her at 3:45 if the items were still here. Just got an email back saying that her husband is in town and could pick them up right now. WTF? I'd be pissed if someone told me they'd hold something and gave it to someone else before I arrived so I again told her I'd let her know at 3:45 if they are still here.

The fourth person to say they could pick up today is also drooling, so far I've heard from her three times, the last time almost demanding that I let her know immediately upon realizing that the other three people have flaked.

WTF? It's not like I'm giving away high dollar items! It's an 18 year old TV and a CD player that skips when it gets warm fer crissakes!

I think next time I want to give something away I'll just put it in front of the house with a "free" sign on it... this is too much like work. ;-)

I put my stuff on the curb and then include my address in the ad. As soon as I see that the goods have been picked up, I remove my address from the ad and add the the word "GONE" to the title.

I do this to avoid the exact nonsense that you speak of.

i just gave away a chair for free on CL. i write in the ad when i post it, that i will take the ad down as soon as the item is gone. i also keep the item(s) outside my house and include my address on the ad. that way they have to do the work by checking to see if its still posted or not.

i heart CL:$

I would never put that much effort into giving something away.

I'm home doing homework all day today so it's not like I don't have the time. I just think it's funny what people will do/say when they're trying to get something for nuthin'.:D

I put my stuff on the curb and then include my address in the ad.

No way would I put the address in an ad - the last thing I want is more traffic on our street.

I would never put that much effort into giving something away.

:D Seriously.

I just walk-in to Goodwill with a giant box. I throw things in box that are nice enough I didn't just throw them in the trash. I hate clutter.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I had the exact opposite experience with my couch. When it was on the free section I got very little action.

Once I put a price on it, I got more interest...
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I just walk-in to Goodwill with a giant box

Depends on what you consider to be effort, I guess. I'll happily reply to emails all day long instead of carrying the stuff to the car, driving to goodwill and then carrying the stuff in. I might do that for a bag of clothes but I ain't gonna load and carry a heavy TV.

And email is basically free. Gas is expensive. I'm cheap. :ph34r:

Oh. Yea, um. Billy does all that.:$:D:P

To this day by father laughs about the first time he visited us in our mutual abode. (The first time he met Billy he actually made a point to come to the DZ and meet him.B|B|B| My father...well, that was a big deal.:)
Anywho...Billy was driving and my father was shot-gun. My stepmom and me in the back talking about sales. Billy was pointing things out like "That's this. That's that." Then we drove by the Goodwill and Billy said "And that's where all my stuff is.":D:D:D

Oh my gosh. I think--truly--it was that moment my father also fell in love with Billy. Thank GOD Billy has "the family" sense of humor, too!:P

Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

WTF? It's not like I'm giving away high dollar items! It's an 18 year old TV and a CD player that skips when it gets warm fer crissakes!

So, basically, you're trying to give away your junk?

I have a saying." One man's trash is another man's trash."

I occasionally sell stuff on Ebay and run into the same problem; although I'm very, VERY clear when it comes to descriptions, shipping details, etc etc... I always get more than a few morons that'll either A) ask how much shipping is, or B) ask about something that's CLEARLY written in the description. :S

As I said in another post...God must like stupid people, because he sure made enough of them... :|

Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

So, basically, you're trying to give away your junk?

I dunno, I wouldn't call a working TV junk; only giving it away because we were given a bigger one.

Back to the saga though. Four people said they'd be here to pick them up. Four people flaked. I learnt my lesson.

They're going out on the street in the morning. I'm sure they'll be gone by the time I get home from school. :ph34r:

They're going out on the street in the morning. I'm sure they'll be gone by the time I get home from school. :ph34r:

Leave a sign on it saying YES IT WORKS
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?