adventurechick

Used Gear

I'm really getting frustrated with finding a used rig... are there any other sites besides this one that offer complete systems for beginners?? I just can't find anything with the right size canopies, harness, container...ect.

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233

I'm really getting frustrated with finding a used rig... are there any other sites besides this one that offer complete systems for beginners?? I just can't find anything with the right size canopies, harness, container...ect.

buy everything separately. you get what you want.

rm

Be patient.

As others have said, change your approach - buy pieces rather than a complete system.

If what you're looking for isn't listed, post a wanted ad in the classifieds here. Be specific, post in the specific section. I'd found everything but the main I wanted... my main found me when I posted a wanted ad.

Check the manufacturers web sites - they often have used or stock gear available that's much cheaper than new.

Check dealer sites. Stuff gets listed there that doesn't get listed here.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Talk to the riggers at you DZ... they found good beginner gear for both my husband and I... perfect too for when we both downsized a little bit (still only a hair over 1:1 for us both), he could have my canopy which still had only 300ish jumps and I could get a new one. Saved us a nice chunk of money and the rigger told us from the beginning it would be a good option 100 jumps down the road.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

That's one of the reasons why I bought my rig before I ever jumped, because I knew if I let that deal go by, it might be some time before another one that matched so closely to what I wanted would come around.

BW

What sizes are you looking for? how much would you like ot spend, APPX, all of this would help those of us who are reading your post and might have just what your looking for sitting at the dz and with in your buget.
I know of one rig, I have, for a customer who dropped it off for repack two years ago and is brand new with very few jumps on it and I don't think she will be jumping any more and might want to sell it.

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I'm looking for a 170 main (either pd or icarus) PD reserve

Either a mirage or javelin container

and a cypress

I have 3000 dollars to spend on everything

I do have a small yoke and small thighs... every harness I've tried on falls right off me even after being tightened up!!

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233

Measure yourself per the web sites of the container brands you want to purchase. At least you will be armed with the proper size harness while you shop.

Second, as long as you find a rig where the yoke fits, find a good master rigger that might be able to do some harness work for you. Main lift web and leg straps. Leg straps are pretty easy.

You shouldn't have too much difficulty finding a good master rigger in Florida.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I have an old friend that just called me the other day. He hasn't jumped in about 3 years due to a back injury and he now wants to sell his gear. He has a sabre 170, pd 176R (i think) and a cypres. Also has a Wings container but I'm sure it would be to big for you. I think he wanted $2500 for the wholething. Everything but the main was bought new and he only had 86 jumps when he quit. Main has 400-500 jumps. Also why are you limiting yourself to mirage and javelin there are many other containers just as good as either of those.

Then you have to figure out if the parts will fit. It's hard enough for a new jumper to figure out what they want/need. Ther e ought to be enough complete rigs in the 170 class to meet her needs. Hell, for 3k you can buy all new without the AAD. If she can find an 8 yo model for 400ish, she's pretty close.

I did buy in pieces, but more driven by no job at the time and trying to cut costs. Bought the container and reserve (try finding a PD218 or Smart 220 used!) new, found a main and a NIB cypres2 after failing to find an 8 yo.

Other places to look:
the Enclave has a small number of sale ads.
Bonnie (GG) is a local dealer to me, she has some used parts for sale. Same will be true for many dealers, be it local DZ affiliates to those with a larger internet footprint.

And don't forget to spread the word at the DZ. So deals happen without advertizing.

Then you have to figure out if the parts will fit. It's hard enough for a new jumper to figure out what they want/need. Ther e ought to be enough complete rigs in the 170 class to meet her needs. Hell, for 3k you can buy all new without the AAD. If she can find an 8 yo model for 400ish, she's pretty close.

I did buy in pieces, but more driven by no job at the time and trying to cut costs. Bought the container and reserve (try finding a PD218 or Smart 220 used!) new, found a main and a NIB cypres2 after failing to find an 8 yo.

Other places to look:
the Enclave has a small number of sale ads.
Bonnie (GG) is a local dealer to me, she has some used parts for sale. Same will be true for many dealers, be it local DZ affiliates to those with a larger internet footprint.

And don't forget to spread the word at the DZ. So deals happen without advertizing.

it is not hard. first, pick the reserve you need - get advice on the size. if you have lots of cash pick the best - for example PD143R. then pick the container which fits the reserve, go for something well known - for example Javelin OJ then make sure you know the harness size that fits you (try other peoples on). For example, Javelin OJ C17. make sure the main will not be a struggle to pack and is well suited for your experience - stick with well known brands like a Sabre2 150. If you are getting an AAD it is a no brainer.

rm