misaltas

The Engagement Ring Poll

HEY!

What's the rule these days? I'm hearing a lot of different answers and figured I'd make a poll.

Thanks all.

First answer: if she is high maintenance - at least a 1/2 years pay - upgradeable - and certified - it's never ending if that is the case.

Second answer: If she really loves you she will want you not the ring.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I thought that it was commitment and love that counted, not money.

And diamonds are just compressed carbon anyway. Overpriced compressed carbon, sure, they are pretty, but factory made oneshttp://www.apollodiamond.com/, or even top quality zirkonias are just as pretty.

But I guess it's part of american culture.

:S

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Never thought of it as a rule. I wanted something nice for my wife (fiance at the time) but I was a student so funds were limitted. I think so long as there is reasonable thought put into picking one and you show that you want to buy here as nice a ring as you can afford that is fine.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

HEY!

What's the rule these days? I'm hearing a lot of different answers and figured I'd make a poll.

Thanks all.

When it's the person you love, you don't follow rules. Do what's right for y'all. Rules are so impersonal.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

HEY!

Thanks all.

When it's the person you love, you don't follow rules. Do what's right for y'all. Rules are so impersonal.

Ding, ding, ding... We have winner!
I believem you nailed it. It's all about y'all, not rules or outside pressure. That way, it keeps it 'honest'.

Chuck

HEY!

Thanks all.

I believem you nailed it. It's all about y'all, not rules or outside pressure. That way, it keeps it 'honest'.

Chuck

We forgot the best and easiest answer to live with though . . .

RUN AWAY - RUN AWAY NOW - RUN AWAY WHEREVER YOU CAN, BUT RUN AWAY!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

DON'T get caught up in that. I agree if she is expecting something huge that you cant afford, This is just the beginning and it will never end. Now if you can afford it, just remember you are setting a precident and there is no going back. I wish you the best of luck
So i just broke up with this woman who wasn't even my girlfriend!

Hellfish #782, POPS #10664

DON'T get caught up in that. I agree if she is expecting something huge that you cant afford, This is just the beginning and it will never end. Now if you can afford it, just remember you are setting a precident and there is no going back. I wish you the best of luck

Which part should I not get caught up in?

Where I said:

HEY!

Thanks all.

First answer: if she is high maintenance - at least a 1/2 years pay - upgradeable - and certified - it's never ending if that is the case.

True. My ex actually traded-in my original ring for a larger diamond. That hurt. I think I spent about $1200 on it but the real point is it was every penny I had at the time.

In hindsight I should have known then it was only a matter of time.

Point being, the dollar value of the ring really means nothing. My SO's daughter was married last summer. Huge deal, contry club wedding and reception. Bill came to just over $30,000. I remember thinking at the time "what a waste of money". And for what? So your friends and relatives would be impressed? Same thing goes for the ring. If you can afford to put a rock on her finger do it, but it doesn't mean your marriage is any better or worse for it.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

If anyone's interested in reading just how much this whole thing is a marketing invention that's just turned into "tradition" over the past half-century or so, read One Perfect Day. It's fascinating from a business perspective, but culturally some of it will turn your stomach.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Then again, maybe she would like you in the ring:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LifeGem

;)

Sweet - so all you need is to cut off and burn your left leg and voila . . .

OR . . . you could be on a savings plan - and save the dandruff you get and after 10 - 15 yeras you will have enough to make a half carat ring.:ph34r:

HEY!

Thanks all.

Chuck

We forgot the best and easiest answer to live with though . . .

RUN AWAY - RUN AWAY NOW - RUN AWAY WHEREVER YOU CAN, BUT RUN AWAY!

:D

Chuck

Not sure, my wife bought her own ring!

Steve, why am I not surprised?

Any guy voting more than 1 month in this poll needs to turn in his guy card, and even then may need to get some hormone tests done. :P

I remember a friend of my college girlfriend getting a sailboat as an engagement present. If I recall correctly, she was given a choice between the boat and the ring, and preferred the boat.

It all depends on you. What kind of guy are you i mean. Does it make you feel good to have your woman flaunting a huge rock? I mean does your ego need it also. My first wife's ring was $27,000.00 and it made me feel like i was a success because i could afford it, Looking back it was the worst mistake i made. I let my ego start something that never ended until she left. We should have been concentrating on each other and not on material things. Money and material things cannot make you happy. Just one mans opinion. Hard lesson learned on my part
So i just broke up with this woman who wasn't even my girlfriend!

Hellfish #782, POPS #10664

Of course you agree! You're stuck with his cheap ass! ;)

Exactly! I love his ass! That is why I got married. Not for the ring. I could care less about the ring. Just want the ass. ;)

Hi V

Johns not a cheap ass he's just "careful" with his $$$.

Anyone with 4 kids and a lazy ass wife ;) has to be careful with their money.

I could care less about Johns Ass. OTOH forget itB|
One Jump Wonder

u

I have no idea, and this "rule" thing sounds silly to me. Even a month's salary sounds ridiculous to spend on a ring.

I've never had any desire to be decorated with expensive jewelry, but that's just me.

how YOU doin'!?

i'd go with a tube stow! i mean, come on, we're skydivers! how much more romance would we need!? and if we loose our turn, at least there's some use for it.. :D:D:D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

HEY!

Thanks all.

Why buy her a diamond when she won't last forever
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192